“Nice Stay”

High Country Inn
Ranked #18 of 33 Hotels in Banff
“Nice Stay”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

My wife and I Stayed here for our Third annivesary we liked it, it was homey, the complementary breakfast was nice and the rooms were clean, Management was very helpful amd dealt with our concerns in a respectful manner making our stay in Banff that much better

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank alwaters007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Loved staying here. Just me and my wife for a romantic getaway. Staff seemed nice and the entrance is warm and charming. Also was encouraged to find out they are updating all there rooms! We're bringing our kids over Christmas!! Thanks.

Room Tip: Lots of space in the suites
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joel S
Reviewed December 12, 2013

My husband and I were impressed with the room we stayed in and that the hotel was in the midst of renovations to update the decor. Its a cozy place with a cabin feel. A lovely romantic midwinter getaway.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tania T
Banff
Reviewed December 1, 2013

we got to our room at about 6 p.m. we were in a room that was across the hall from where a very loud profanity laced party party started at 7 pm. i had to go down to the desk to change my our room. this is not easy to do for someome like me who is disabled and a senior.
the other reason i was disappointed was because when i originally looked at this booking it said "FREE BREAKFAST'' was part of the deal. it also mentioned that TICINOS restaurant was open. i assumed Ticinos would provide the free breakfast as my wife and i both stayed at the high country inn in the past and did get free breakfast in the restaurant. this time ticinos was not even open to the public as it was closed for repairs.
a simple complimentary breakfast was served in a room.
i feel the hign coutry inn was not a good place and was misrepresented in the online ad.... even at the price i paid.
there were several other places available nearby in banff at a much more reasonable price with complimentary breakfast..
my wife and i are low income and we go to banff a month in advance of our wedding anniversary there most years.
we go early most years because our anniversary falls on december 21 which coincides with higher prices at many establishments.
this time ( OUR 39 TH ANNIVERSARY) was memorable for all the wrong reasons.
that is why i am disappointed
sincerely yours john williams

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

High_Country_Inn, General Manager at High Country Inn, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear Mr. Williams,

I'm sorry to hear that your recent stay at the High Country Inn was less than desirable. I just wanted to point out a few things to you that will be helpful when staying with us or any other hotel in the future.

Firstly, if there is a room nearby that is causing a disturbance due to noise it's recommended that you call down to the front desk and alert them of the issue prior to causing yourself the inconvenience of changing rooms. Our staff members are well trained on these issues and usually a phone call to the room alerting them of a complaint is enough to get the peace and quiet back. In the rare circumstance that this is not the case, it’s our job to deal with the situation according to the severity.

Secondly, you mentioned that our hotel is not a good value but we always strive to provide competitive rates and value is one of my top priorities in managing this property. My question for you is did you alert us as to why you felt this way while we had the opportunity to fix it? Often times if a guest is staying with us and they do alert us of problems there are ways that we can improve their stay right then and there. Next time if you're not happy for any reason please come see us and we will do everything we can to make the situation better.

Thirdly, you mentioned the breakfast. We have served a continental breakfast in our conference room since 2007. Prior to that, Ticino's restaurant did serve breakfast but has since opted to stay with serving dinner. For future visits, if you're looking for something more than a continental breakfast, I'd like to recommend the El Toro restaurant in Irwin's Mountain Inn to you. This restaurant is two doors down from us and serves a fantastic hot breakfast at a very reasonable price.

I hope you enjoy future stays in Banff and if you're willing to give the High Country Inn a second chance, please ask for the general manager when completing your booking. I will make sure that your requests are met prior to arrival and ensuring a more positive experience.

Kindest Regards,

Jordan Irwin
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We have stayed in other 3 star hotels in Banff and this one does not deserve 3 stars. The common areas need a major deep cleaning. A major hallway had carpet duct-taped over the top. Our room had a smear of toothpaste on the vertical facing of the sink. We were at first sent to a room that was occupied, as was the person ahead of us at the desk. Back to a true 3 star next time

2 Thank bctraveller54
Regina, Canada
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We Stayed at the HIgh country Inn in mid November. We stayed in the honeymoon suite as it wasn't very much more cost wise, and it included a jacuzzi tub. We thought that a jacuzzi would be a great thing to have after a long day of touring Banff and the area. The room appeared clean, had a larger balcony than most of the other rooms and faced the back of the hotel. It was decent value for the price. However the electric fireplace seemed to not throw heat. It was able to turn on but didn't do anything to warm the room. Also there may have been some electrical problems with the jaccuzi and the bathroom. In the middle of the night the jets of the tub would turn on as well as the heat lamp. Overall I would certainly return. However, if I was looking for a place to actually Honeymoon, I would probably spend more and go elsewhere.

Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed November 3, 2013

As our tour bus pulled up, all I could think was, "oh boy, a Best Western without the name Best Western." More like, "Oh boy, am I wrong."

After years of travelling to time-share resorts and staying in high-end two-bedroom suites, this was the first time I stayed in a hotel for a longer period of time. From the outside, it looks like a nice, average hotel. On the inside, you're greeted by a fireplace, a comfy lobby, and a friendly staff.

The rooms are modern (although the bathrooms could use a bit of an update, but I'm picky) and make you feel like you are staying in a higher-end facility than you are. Just a walk away from the shopping centre, the grocery store and the core of Banff, Alberta, this place is a great choice. I have now stayed here three times. All I can say against it is that the pool seems to have a lot of issues and is closed for maintenance or cleaning a lot.

Great hotel.

Room Tip: If you don't like street noise, choose a room facing away from Banff Avenue. Both sides of the h...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Colin S
High_Country_Inn, General Manager at High Country Inn, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you sincerely for your review on our property. I always appreciate the feedback given by our guests and take their comments and concerns seriously. At the High Country Inn we are striving to provide a higher than expected standard of quality and excellence to you. As stated in previous responses, we are currently updating our hotel rooms with new lighting, new bathrooms and new vinyl. I'm truly excited to see our guest's reactions as we complete more and more rooms of this project.