WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of High Country Inn

High Country Inn
Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in Banff
Kiel, Germany
“Nice Hotel close to the center”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

This hotel looked a bit used but it was very clean, the beds were comfortable. It is close to downtown to walk (5-10min) and to other activities and things to see in the area. We had some difficulties with the shower-- we always had to wait a view minutes (3-5min) until the water had heaten up. We didn´t try the pool area, but it looked very clean. The continental breakfast in the morning was tasty and good and, like the parking, included. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpfull- we asked for a king size bed just a day befor we arrived and it was no problam at all for them to change- even the reply via email came within 12 hours.
The only thing we had where some young people next door, who slam the doors and srceamed and where very loud way after 1am- but that was the only big noise we heard. :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sustue

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

I stayed for a weekend in March and found it a very nice affordable accommodation in Banff. The beds are very clean and comfortable. The rooms are a decent size as well and all had fridges which is always a plus. The one problem with the room was it was close to the stairwell in the middle of the hallway on the third floor. It was quite noisy about 2:00am when the bars closed and people came back to the hotel. You could hear everyone's conversation on all the floors. Next time I would ask for a room away from the stairs. The pool and hot tubs are nice as well. The pool is not too cold or warm for swimming and the hot tubs are very comfortable. The larger hot tub by the men's change room is warmer then the other but neither were overly warm. Those could be a bit hotter.

Breakfast is included and is great. It was more then the standard continental breakfast. There we're hot items included as well and it was served on real china plates with real cutlery. A nice touch. There's plenty of seating in the breakfast room as well as I had no problem getting in.

Overall I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the middle stairwell as they are quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

This place was perfect for a weekend getaway! Clean rooms and hospitable service combined with a great continental breakfast provided a wonderful experience for us while in Banff. Walking distance to everything downtown as well!

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Adbagwell
Christian L, Front Office Manager at High Country Inn, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thanks for the great review! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at the High Country Inn and we hope to see you again soon!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stayed here over the St. Paddy's day weekend (March 16-17th, 2013).

It's an older hotel, but the rooms were clean and the beds were nice. The room had all expected amenities (big TV, fridge, microwave, coffee maker).

The hotel pool was nice and warm, and the double hot tubs meant there was always room to warm up!

The free continental breakfast had a good variety though no hot food items. The included underground parking was handy.

The location on the main street of Banff just a couple blocks away from all the shops, bars, and restaurants was also perfect.

My only complaint would be that the hallways echo and the doors are pretty thin; there were some 3am rowdies that woke us up. On the other hand, I'm guessing that wouldn't happen on non-St. Patrick's Day-weekends!!

Room Tip: Some rooms have balconies with doors; some with sliders and screens; some have balconies that aren...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MichaelBurjack
High_Country_Inn, Manager at High Country Inn, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Hi Michael, thank you for your feedback, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay at the High Country Inn. We like hearing positive reviews about our beds (they are all new!), and the room cleanliness; our whole team have been working very hard to achieve a high standard that guests will be happy with. It is an older building, but we are in the process of starting renovations (tackling the bathrooms first). For breakfast we do offer one hot option (waffles); at this point we do not have space in our kitchen to be able to offer other hot options (but we are always brainstorming about what else we can do to add to our breakfast experience).
We would love to have you come stay with us again and enjoy beautiful Banff!

Kind Regards,
Kelly-Ann O'Toole
Assistant GM/Sales Manager
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed at the High Country Inn on March 30, 2013 in Banff. The lobby was plain but it had some comfortable leather furniture. The hallways were dated but clean. Our hotel room was very clean with a large flat screen tv, mini fridge and coffee maker. The beds were extremely comfortable with duvets. The bathroom looked like it had been partially renovated but the taps were reversed with the H tap being cold water and the C tap being hot water. The pool was okay and there were two hot tubs. There was a continental breakfast but we didn't try it. This is a good hotel for families with children.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank CalgaryCouple40
Christian L, Front Office Manager at High Country Inn, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thanks for the feedback. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay at the High Country Inn. We just changed all our beds to brand new ones, They are indeed very comfortable! We also just started renovations of all our bathrooms. I hope that you will stay with us again in the future, and that you'll enjoy our rejuvenated bathrooms.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

I will start off by saying the only positive thing we experienced, was the location of the room.

I had bought a team buy deal for 79 dollars for the night, thought it was a good deal and why not try it out. I called in January to book our night in March. In February I called again to see if we could upgrade to the Honeymoon Suite. I was told by the guy on the phone that he couldn't locate my reservation and looks like it never was booked, he then booked me in, and said it would be 50 bucks extra for the honeymoon suite. I jumped on it and said yes please book me in, he even sent me email confirmaiton stating I was confirmed. I show up at the hotel to check in, and was told they overbooked the honeymoon suite and I couldn't have the room, even though I was booked into it long before. I was then told by a staff member they only had standard rooms, so we had to go into a standard.. I wouldn't have even booked this hotel for this weekend if I knew I wasn't going to be getting a Jacuzzi. When I explained my frustrations, I was told they had 2 hot tubs in the building not to worry.. great.. except I didn't bring a bathing suite because I expected a jacuzzi in my room. Nothing was done to rectify the sitation.

When we got to the room, I was still angry, but the room looked nice... until the partying started at night, and people were smoking pot in the hotel building, and slamming doors and coming in and out of rooms all night. You can hear everything at night, so it was very hard to sleep. Then in the morning we noticed blood on the bottom of the duvet cover.. gross!!! I also found a womans old sports bra lying around beside one of the chairs.

I would only recommend this hotel for a younger crowd, definitely don't stay here with a family or for a romantic weekend.

I also won't be coming to this hotel.. the purpose of offering team buys is to catch new business, and to keep people coming back. A lot of business forget this, and fail completely on the entire purpose of why you put a team buy up.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple