“Good place for the kids” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets

Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets
Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in Banff
Edmonton, Canada
“Good place for the kids”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

Have stayed here twice now on drive to the west coast. It's a great spot to let the kids get out all the pent up car energy. Rooms are a decent size. Kitchen has what I need and I love after a day on the road not having to drag my tired overdone kids to a restaurant. Instead we eat, waterslide like mad, sleep very well and get a big play in before hitting the road again. As a single parent traveling with two kids, the on-site convenince store (and let's admit it, liquor store too) is a big plus. Expensive but worth it for making a road trip that much smoother.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Korean first
Sherwood Park, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

This was the second time we came to the Douglas Fir and I recommended Douglas Fir to my friend and family of 3 little ones who travelled with us. I am completely embarrassed that I invited them to stay there. Here are just a few issues that we experienced in both of our rooms:
- we asked to have room close and they did not provide this. The front desk staff told us that it was due to people who booked earlier...and other excuses. We did book in advance of about three weeks.
- Our room had no dish cloth, no ironing board, cutting board. All things we needed considering we are a family of 6
- There was coffee grounds left in the coffee pot. Not just the grounds but the whole package of grounds. So this leads me to believe the coffee pot was not even washed.
- Our toilet was plugged several times. We called maintenance after we thought that it was ridiculous that were using our friends bathroom at her place.
- Our door DID NOT lock with the bolt. Scary with little ones!!!
This was just our room and not everything that was wrong with my friends room. The biggest being that the light switch in the bathroom just fall out of the wall.....oh and not to mention she had no screen door on her patio leaving her to have to keep her patio doors closed at all time so that she could let her kids out to play where she could hear them. Mind you, maintenance did come to fix this within 5 hours. This place is not clean.

After pay $604.00 for two nights with my family and a little dog I would highly recommend that you spend your money else where.

Just so you are all aware, I did give a comment card with my concerns to the night manager the night before we left so they were very aware of the issues we had and once we checked out the next morning nothing, absolutely nothing was said!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Tina K
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

spectacular views, a beautiful open fire and a little kitchen. close to central Banff. friendly and helpful staff.

I stayed in 2007 but the "When did you travel" does not go back this far.

I hope to return some day and will only stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Experiences4ever
Komoka, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

We arrived this evening. Originally from BC, and now a resident of Ontario I am traveling western Canada with my kids on an exciting adventure. So far? Check-in was fast. The room, while a bit dated, is really very comfortable and spacious; my kids love it. The food provided when we arrived (bacon, eggs, bread, milk, etc.) a FABULOUS treat. But the room was HOT. I turned on the air conditioner, made dinner for the kids, and set them to bed. But my son, age 9 couldn't sleep. While the air conditioner is in his loft upstairs he could not get comfortable. I went up to help and realized it was boiling up there and the air conditioner is not functioning. BOO. I found a fan and that helped. So at 1 am Ontario time he finally went to sleep. Not great. I contacted the front desk because now, at 3 am Ontario time (1 am in Alberta) I can not sleep because the downstairs is incredibly horrid. I contacted front desk but all have gone and only security is here. SYLVAN, the security employee was AMAZING! LITERALLY AMAZING. He was kind, helpful and came over with a second fan in minutes. Not often you find a staff member THAT delightful, empathetic and helpful (and now I can probably sleep). However, I await the morning to see what the resort will do to rectify this problem. I'll update tomorrow! Now, to "try" to sleep".....

Room Tip: Make sure the air conditioner works...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Jim G
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

Great place to stay at the marvelous Banff. The hotel has waterslides and pools that are awesome for kids (kids from 9 to 11 with me loved it). The apartment is very good and also the service is provided by very well humored people. There are no restaurants but you have a full fledged kitchen where you can cook, and there is a grocery store at the hotel.

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Eduardo R
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014

Head over to our Chalet, open the door and the metal bracket and the dead bolt are hanging, not even screwed tight. We get into the room and go to put the stuff in the fridge and the kitchen light won't work, I call the main desk and report it, "oh the light does that all the time, just hit it" So my wife does that and it works. They will have a repair person right over the fix the door.The kids go to the pool and we wait.11/2 hour later I call again "oh sorry they just left for the night, but there is no crime in Banff so don't worry about it" I go to start supper and all the knifes, cooking spoons, plates had chunks of food on them, so I washed what I need and put the rest in the dishwasher. None of the lamps were plugged in and the tv cables had been removed and been placed in a drawer. I go and open the oven door and there is food in the oven left from god knows when. I call for a different room, "sorry we can't help you out" no reason given The day we checked out I go back into the office and and give the front desk crap,15 mins later informs me that "because we booked it online and did phone the hotel directly, they will not offer any type of discount" I asked to talk to the manager and She refuses to come out of the office and face me. She's a busy person and doesn't have time for this.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Donald S
DouglasFir007, General Manager at Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
I would like to take this opportunity to let you know there is new management in place and I would like to assure you that this is not the way our guests should ever be treated and that many changes have been implemented in the short time that I have been here so that situations like this do not happen.I would also like to say that in future all issues or problems will be handled on an individual basis to ensure that all of our guests concerns are dealt with in an appropriate manner.
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

We stayed at the Douglas Fir for a ladies' weekend out. Our 3-bedroom family suite in the main lodge fit eight girls very comfortably. There were four queen and two double beds and four bathrooms -- a definite plus! The kitchen was well-stocked with dishes and glasses and the long dining room table fit us all. There was a fireplace and comfortable couches. There was a musty smell when we first came in, but we either go used to it or the smell went away after opening the windows. Air conditioning in the room was a little finicky but worked well. The resort has a small grocery store and liquor store attached. While it's certainly not as nice as some of the other resorts in Banff, it was reasonably priced. You could walk to Banff Ave, it'll take about 20 minutes; otherwise, it's a $10 cab ride (but that might have been a long route). It was a decent stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends