I have had two stays at the Douglas Fir chalets and the second time round in winter with young under fives. I think that the indoor playpen is great, a brilliant facility that the kids enjoy. The pools are good too. Tunnel mountain is a wonderful location and the huge side wall of Mt Rundle is incredible.
the downside to this is the accommodation. it is really over priced for what you get. In dire need of renovation, really shabby and spartan, not attractive even in color scheme which would be easy to change. Te kitchen is not stocked with very much, no wooden spoons, rubbish cheese grater, we bought all our own knives after our last visit. No room in kitchen except just one person, very cramped. Also, we had two bedrooms upstairs with single beds and our double bed downstairs. Needlessly to say the kids woke up a lot so we needed up Having to sleep up stairs in single beds!
Another aesthetic nightmare is the labyrinth inside the main building, it's horrible!
They should close one winter and really update, refresh and open up the buildings.
Overall, great facilties available but they are resting their laurels on that. I have stayed over the road at the Hidden Ridge twice and the accommodation is incredible. I chose this because of energetic toddlers but may next consider going back to the hidden ridge for the lovely apartments and space indoors and using Banffs facilities more instead.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Banff’s Finest Family Accommodation, located on peaceful Tunnel Mountain. All units have full kitchen, air-conditioning, fireplace (most are wood-burning) and flat-screen TVs, DVD players and Plug n’Play panels (families can now bring their electronic gaming systems). Amenities include 2 Giant indoor waterslides, swimming pool, kiddie pool,outdoor hot tub, games room, multilevel indoor playzone, saunas, whirlpools, steam room, fitness room, barbecue stations and FREE/UNLIMITED use of the Town of Banff shuttle bus. Freeinternet kiosk, free local calls and free parking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets Hotel Banff
- Douglas Fir Resort And Chalets
- Douglas Fir Hotel Chalets
- Douglas Fir Banff