“Great With Kids” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in Banff
Calgary, Canada
“Great With Kids”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

We have stayed at the Douglas Fir several times with the kids. We normally just spend a night or two there but have enjoyed all our stays. The hotel is not "new" and certainly could use some updating but we've never had any problems there. The play area is fantastic (though make sure to give hands a good scrub after playing - we had a bad round of flu from here).

The staff have always been friendly and accommodating and rooms are comfortable enough. I love the room options available when travelling with a family.

2 Thank TravellingWKidsAB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Korean first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

I picked this place because it was outside of town and would be quieter. That was about the only good.

I feel the need to start with the injury my son had. Upon check in the receptionist told us the water slides were down for repair but would be started again soon. After we unloaded in our room my husband took my 2 boys to the water slides to play while I laid down. About an hour later I get a frantic knock at the door from my oldest telling me my husband needed help with my younger son whom had something stuck in his foot from the pool. I went to the front desk and they knew nothing about it but took me to the slide area. My son was sitting behind the desk with 3 staffers looking on. He had an unknown material sticking out of his foot and it was bleeding. My son said his foot slid on the bottom of the pool after going down the water slide and he felt the sting. My husband ran to him as he was bawling. He had tried to pull out the thing sticking out with his hands and couldn't. After much debate I was given a tweezers and some antiseptic wipes. I held him down while my husband pulled it out. It was a metal piece about an inch long and as big around as a large sewing needle. It was sticking in his foot probably 1/2 inch. I was handed band aids and sent on my way. The front desk man did fill out a paper to give to maintenance on the matter. They were still letting people sign in and never evacuated the pool. It was as if it was no big deal. We never got a phone call or email asking how he was doing. Even more disappointing was when we checked out the same girl was working and never asked how he was doing or even apologized for the incident. Where we live my room would have been refunded and my stay would have been free. Not even a discount was offered. Very disappointing.

Besides that...
Our room was very dirty. It had a ratty couch that was covered in dog hair of all lengths and colors. The kids tried to flip the cushion and there was trash under the cushions. We laid bathroom towels out so we could sit down. There was a glade freshener in the entrance that was supposed to make it smell better. Dead bugs in the window ledges the size of nickels. The Murphy bed was maybe a double mattress. Not meant for 2 people. The bathroom was newly done and very clean or I would have left. Everything at this place was so spread out. Even getting ice we had to go over several buildings.

Overall a very disappointing stay. I am sending a comment card to them too.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MrsLUVStravel
Camrose
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

I attended a conference in Banff and took my family with me. We got a one bedroom suite at Douglas Fir for $259 a night (plus tax). This provided a bedroom for my husband and I and a murphy bed for my son who found it very comfortable. There was a full kitchen where we cooked all of our meals except one which kept our costs down. Everything was great except the coffee was really bad and we bought a non-stick pan because everything that we cooked in the stainless steel pan they provided burned to the bottom. They provide free bus passes and have waterslide, pools and hot tubs (which weren't that hot). I also would bring a dish towel as they provided paper towels. Baby Elk outside our window were great.

Room Tip: Bring coffee, dish towel and non-stick pan if you plan to cook.
1 Thank Butlerdunn
Bonnyville, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

This is our second time staying at Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets with two young children. We've stayed both times in the A Frame cabins for 5 days each time. The views are spectacular, and it is very quiet, as it is on the edge of town. There are free bus passes for guests to use to get around town, which is also a plus.

While the concept is excellent and my children really enjoyed the Playzone and Waterslides, we will not be returning next year. As one reviewer aptly put it, there is a difference between rustic and grimy. The cabins are in dire need of repair, renos and a very good scrubdown. The carpet has glaring holes in it. I won't let my children play on the floor. The furniture is scuffed and very dirty. Paint is peeling off of the tables. There are mysterious splatters behind the door in the bathroom. The doors, cupboards, dishwasher and walls are all very grimy with dirt and smudges. Things are in disrepair, and there is dust behind every big piece of furniture. Even the poor lighting cannot hide it. I am by no means a clean freak, but I do not feel comfortable with the lack of sanitation and cleanliness.

It is a shame, because this property has so much potential, and if the management would raise their standards, it would be worth the large sum of money we are paying for this week's stay.

Room Tip: If you do decide to stay, ask for a room or cabin facing away from the street and as far from the ma...
1 Thank TheFourDs
valleyview, alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

This hotel has an amazing indoor playground and 2 water slides. The kitchen's are very well set up and make it easy to cook from the room. Location is beautiful, only a few minutes from central Banff without being in the town.

• Stayed August 2013
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

Real value for money and a real pleasant place. The chalets are a little dated, but Canadian décor is very different from British and therefore this resort is very Canadian. Log fire was great, kitchen was equipped with all we needed. Great to have the windows open on to the patio area. In all fairness, this is a really pleasant little place. Facilities are good for families and cleaners clean every day. I stayed in Jasper in a similar place, cost twice the price and was not as pleasant so for me this really is value for money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Tokyo, Japan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

service were great at lobby and staff were very friendly and seemed well trained. Although, our door had traces of being broken in before and was a bit worried about our rooms security. Pool area didnt feel so clean and a bit dangerous for 5 under kids.
playroom was too dark and cold.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh