We booked a bachelor studio and when we checked in we were allocated a room directly above the grocery store, laundry, water slides and liquore store with parking allocated next to the store parking. There was no lift, so getting our luggage to the room was not easy up 2 flights of stairs and we were concerned about the noise from the stores and the busy main road. Just along the road is a large park for RVs (mobile homes) so the shops and other facilities are pretty busy. We asked for another room and were given another room at the back. The room was OK but not as clean as it could be particularly the cigarette ash on the balcony. We were short of a potato peeler and two of the glasses were cracked - these were removed by housekeeping but not replaced. The frying pan was fairly disgusting and even a clean in the dishwasher didn't help. The room was fairly large with a sitting area, a dining table and chairs, and a full kitchen with a small dishwasher. The bathroom was on the small side but OK. There were no stands to put our cases on and limited hanging space with only 10 hangers. Parking was in a large underground car park reasonably close to the room and on the same level. Housekeeping seemed to make the bed and replenish toiletries and towels but don't vacuum. There was a smell of smoke or soot in room at times although it is supposed to be a smoke free hotel. The balcony was covered in ash from previous smokers as smoking seems to be permitted on the balcony as it has a large ash tray on the wall. We asked housekeeping to clean it but they gave it a quick brush and that was it. We washed it down with pans of water and it was much better. We did have a rather tatty stained ironing board - but no iron!!! There was no duvet on the bed only a sheet and blanket and a rather dirty and stained bed cover. There was a second blanket in the coffee table which we had to use. The housekeeping was carried out mainly by students and was very variable. Sometimes toiletries were replenished and sometimes not. We had some fairly anti social neighbours who made a lot of noise and came in late and banged the door and had loud conversations in the hall. Unfortunately this place seems to attract the younger noisy people. On our 3rd night a loud buzzing noise started in our room and seemed to be coming through the walls. It got so loud by 21.30 that I had to call reception. They sent a maintenance man within 10 minutes who knew what the problem was immediately as it had happened before. Apparently the fan for the elevator shaft was vibrating and this was reverberating through the walls. He fixed it in 5 minutes by stopping the fan but why didn't they fix it before if it is a known problem?? I am afraid I can’t recommend this hotel as we wouldn’t return there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Banff’s Finest Family Accommodation, located on peaceful Tunnel Mountain. All units have full kitchen, air-conditioning, fireplace (most are wood-burning) and flat-screen TVs, DVD players and Plug n’Play panels (families can now bring their electronic gaming systems). Amenities include 2 BRAND NEW giant indoor waterslides, swimming pool, kiddie pool, games room, multilevel indoor playzone, saunas, whirlpools, steam room, fitness room, barbecue stations and FREE/UNLIMITED use of the Town of Banff shuttle bus. Free WiFi and internet kiosk, free local calls and free parking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets and Travelocity so you can book your Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets Hotel Banff
- Douglas Fir Resort And Chalets
- Douglas Fir Hotel Chalets
- Douglas Fir Banff