My wife, and 2 year old son stayed here for 6 nights in January 2013. The hotel came highly recommended by our travel agent in Australia and for family comfort and kids amenities, it would be the best option in town for sure. However, when I do say in town, it's actually on the ring road about, 20 mins walk, 3 mins drive or 5 mins on the bus that runs non stop every 40 mins and is on time.
Don't be fooled by the external appearance as the hotels rooms, kitchens and living areas were solid and comfortable. We had no issues at all the kids facilities such as the absolutely magnificent "Playzone" was heaven for my man to play in, even me. Pool and spa all good also as they are indoor. The small supermarket and bottleshop are located on the front of building and very helpful. Staff were terrific and helpful also in the hotel.
We are avid skiers and during our stay, we didn't have car hire as we gave that back post Fernie etc, so in order to get on the buses to the resorts required a little bit of scheduling and hassle to be fair, such as I had to get 7am bus into town to get the 7.40 bus to Lake Louise Resort, which was a long day by the time I got back form a big ski. Also, when we used the day care in town, this provided more logistical challenges. So, I guess the next time we come, my boy will be skiing in 2 years, so we would probably stay in town directly, or stay at Douglas Fir but with a hire car definitely.
Overall, really good stay, even though it was a -20 cold snap for 3 or so days. Finally, one of the highlights was as we drove into the hotel there was about 10 big stags walking around unfussed and this was amazing to see for our son and us, and later in the week we have a small one walk past our room and followed us back to the bus stop out front. This is one advantage of the location on town fringe.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Banff’s Finest Family Accommodation, located on peaceful Tunnel Mountain. All units have full kitchen, air-conditioning, fireplace (most are wood-burning) and flat-screen TVs, DVD players and Plug n’Play panels (families can now bring their electronic gaming systems). Amenities include 2 Giant indoor waterslides, swimming pool, kiddie pool,outdoor hot tub, games room, multilevel indoor playzone, saunas, whirlpools, steam room, fitness room, barbecue stations and FREE/UNLIMITED use of the Town of Banff shuttle bus. Freeinternet kiosk, free local calls and free parking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets Hotel Banff
- Douglas Fir Resort And Chalets
- Douglas Fir Hotel Chalets
- Douglas Fir Banff