“Cute little place in Banff”
Review of Charlton's Banff

Charlton's Banff
Ranked #24 of 33 Hotels in Banff
Calgary, AB
“Cute little place in Banff”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We stayed here during a last minute weekend in Banff. While searching for rooms online, this seemed like the best deal (guaranteed king bed, fireplace, etc) but when I went to book it, it was suddenly sold out. Fortunately I checked the hotel website and was able to book the room that way, so I would definitely recommend trying that before anything else.

Having been to Banff many times, I was familiar with this hotel and the location. We were checked in quickly by the very friendly front desk staff, and left to navigate the way to our room from there. As it is the dead of winter at the moment, I really didn’t like the fact that the room access is all outdoors, because our room was on the far side of the property (no view, but plenty of privacy). The main (living) room is quite small, with a fireplace, loveseat and table, TV, bar area, and bathroom. There was no tub in the bathroom which wasn’t a big deal, but the lighting was terrible. Up the winding staircase was a spacious bedroom with a king size bed and TV. We noticed it was extremely hot up there, but while trying to turn the heat down, we inadvertently turned the downstairs into a freezer. Not fun during middle of the night bathroom runs! The bed and pillows were very clean and comfortable, no issues at all.

Our stay included a complimentary continental breakfast, which was great. Mostly cold items like fruit, cereal, muffins, and juice - perfect to tide you over for a few hours. We skipped the Hot Springs and instead enjoyed the pool and hot tub at the hotel - it was very clean and not too busy - we loved it. The hotel was full but fortunately it was quiet, we had a wonderful stay and we felt we definitely got what we paid for. The staff also accommodated our late check-out with no problems.

I probably wouldn’t stay here again, just because I prefer a different style of hotel, but it met our needs and we had no complaints. The fireplace loft suite was perfect for 2 - such a cute little room - but would probably be a little cramped to accommodate more. All in all it was a great stay!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Leduc, Canada
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

We booked a king room with the idea our room would match what was shown on the website ( nice room king bed big bathroom with large tub and separate shower etc). The room we walked into was a king bed but freezing cold due to the gap in the door which we could see through and we could hear everything that went on over the entire property. The room was dark and dingy with a tiny bathroom no tub and a shower that had tiny gross tiles. There was also a constant whirring sound coming from what we think was something mechanical running the building but very loud and interrupted sleep. The staff was nice but that sure wasn't enough to make us stay the second night.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank MrsLauraHolland

Travelers are raving about these Banff hotels

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We booked through the Hotwire hidden price. The crossed out price (which you believe is around what the room normally sells for) was $450. I booked it for 134 a night and then learned which hotel it was. I was still excited as I expected it was an upgraded room but when the banner ad on my computer tonight said we could book into this hotel with Expedia for 120 a night I called and learned we paid the standard off the street rate.

Hotwire says their research team looks at local rates for hotels of the same level and what they book for but in this case I do not believe the numbers to be valid.

I am excited about our trip (it is this weekend) but I see I could have booked for less directly with the hotel on my own.

Room Tip: Research online rates then book directly with the hotel - stay away from hotwire!
Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Kristina P
Perth, Australia
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We checked into this hotel for 2 nights in a hired car from Calgary airport. Staff were friendly at the reception and helpful on information about places to visit and restaurants. The room was clean and comfortable for a good night sleep. Situated at the edge of town it is quiet and only 20 minutes to the town centre. It has a under cover car park only 2 minutes walk to the reception, convenient for us who have 2 heavy luggages to carry. The hotel met our expectation and needs.

Room Tip: Ask for a non smoking room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 28, 2014

My boyfriend and I booked this hotel on a spontaneous "Let's go to Banff for the weekend" trip. I decided to pay the minimal upgrade fee for the fireplace loft suite with hot springs tickets and we were not disappointed! The girl at the front desk who helped us with our check in was very friendly and knowledgeable about everything the hotel had to offer. Our room was exactly as expected, with sparking wine and truffles (delicious) waiting for us, as well as the passes to the Upper Hot Springs. The shower was delightful, the bed comfortable, and the location of the hotel in relation to the rest of town was very convenient. My boyfriend's truck was a little too tall for the covered parking, but the hotel staff was very helpful in assisting us to find another place to park.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to any couple looking to "get away". I don't think the loft suite would work for more than two people as the couch on the lower level was only a love seat, but I imagine the other, bigger (family oriented) rooms would be just as nice as the one we stayed in!

Thank you for making our stay that much more enjoyable. It was a perfect weekend!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
BanffManagement, Manager at Charlton's Banff, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
We are happy to hear that you chose Charlton Cedar Court for your last minute getaway and that you had a great stay. We hope to see you again for your next overnight stay in Banff.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We stayed for only one night, but we enjoyed it. I loved the bathroom w separate shower! Also pool water was good temperature, and kids were very happy with the breakfast. The only inconvenient part was, that our room opened to the parking area, so we had to go outside (in January) to be able to enter the pool area. We didn't know that and next time we can adjust our reservation, I'm sure. :-)

Room Tip: Some rooms are opening to the courtyard, good for seniors.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank calgagirl
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Never had such bad experience than at the Charlton Cedar Hotel. For starters when we got ready to settle in we found hair all over the pillows of our bed. Next our heater mounted near the ceiling, that cannot be controlled or shut off in the room, roared like a lawn mower throttled to the nines literally ALL NIGHT! Not exaggerating. Tired and fed up we spoke to the front desk early morning to be told we should have called, and because of a no show booking, would have got the luxury of packing up everything and switching to the only other room in the middle of the night. Then after being told we would still be charged full price for the night, we cancelled our second night booked and left. Never have I felt such little concern for customer satisfaction, couldn't have cared less. Terrific start to our anniversary weekend. Would not recommend to anyone!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple