“Great Getaway!”
Review of Bow View Lodge

Bow View Lodge
Ranked #21 of 34 Hotels in Banff
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Comfy beds, great service, can enjoy all the amenities (including pre-purchase of lift tickets) provided next door at the well-run Banff Park lodge. Staff is very courteous and helpful. The view is beautiful and we enjoyed a quiet sleep every night.. Everything is walkable in Banff, one of the best towns in Canada. Sad to leave.

Room Tip: the suite on the first floor is exquisite - includes a great kitchenette
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed February 6, 2014

When we booked, Dan was very helpful in setting us up with an excellent ski package.

The Rooms were very comfortable and we enjoyed the excellent breakfast and Hot Tub at the Banff Park Lodge.

A bid thank you to the teams at the Bow View and Banff Park for making our skiing trip to Banff so enjoyable!!!

1  Thank Patrick S
Reviewed February 1, 2014

The aptly named Bow View Lodge is a perfectly nice hotel for the price, and you absolutely cannot beat the location if you're looking for something right in Banff. I've stayed here twice and have no complaints. The man who works at the front desk is lovely and very helpful. The rooms are adequate (pretty run-of-the-mill). The real selling point is the location - right on the Bow River, and right downtown without actually being on the main drag. Quiet, convenient - really perfect. The pictures I've attached were taken about thirty feet from the hotel's door. This part of Canada is breathtaking, so Banff shouldn't be your only stop, but while in town, the Bow View Lodge is a terrific place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank wonkmurphy
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Bow View Lodge is located along the River in Banff and a ten minute walk from the heart of Banff. The rooms are clean and while not overly large offer more than adequate accommodation for the price. Some of the rooms on the river side featured king size beds and sofas and were larger. There are no dining facilities here but the hotel is attached to the Banff Park Inn so meals can be had there. We were offered a reduced rate for the breakfast buffet -- the buffet was one of the very best I have encountered - omelette stations, a lovely selection of fresh fruit and cold cuts, cold and hot cereals, selection of toasts and pastries....
The hotel does charge for wifi which I think should not be - they were kindly offered me complimentary wifi....this hotel is very good value in every way.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I thought I was dreaming, 5:30 sunday morning an excavator (loader) equipped with a back up beeper for 2 hours outside my patio.really? it was the response from the front desk tha tgot me as well. shrub of the shoulders.also charged me $20 more for sat after quoting me for the 3 nights.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I felt I should write a review because I've stayed in everything from Fairmont's to Hostels and I think a lot of the negative reviews are unwarranted.

First of all... the location. Not only is this hotel in the beautiful and world famous resort town of Banff, but it also only a 5 minute walk from downtown Banff Ave.

Secondly, with this location they still only charged $79/night. That is amazing. But when you pay that low a price you have to adjust your expectations. And for that I can say I was happily pleased... I had everything I would have expected in a hotel that only charges $79... in Banff... that close to downtown.

Thirdly... Some of these commenters need to be a little more accurate in their descriptions of the beds. I was worried I'd be sleeping on a plank of plywood after reading a number of these other reviews. That simply is not true. While the beds are indeed very firm, they were hardly rocks.

I went up for a guys weekend and we had a blast. I would definitely stay again - save money on the hotel and spend the rest at the bars or on the slopes!

4  Thank akasparks
Reviewed January 5, 2014

we stayed at this hotel one night while in banff Jan 4 2014. The room first off was extremly dated and i do not think the red carpet has been changed since the early 80s. The two twin beds in the room were like sleeping on a board. The room was cold upon arrival so i adjusted the thermostat to 25'C and it didnt turn on all night, average room temp of maybe 16 or 17 degrees. In the morning it took three or four minutes before the water in the shower got hot, then was either an extreme of too hot to stand under or too cold, with a twenty or thirty second delay between adjusting the taps and a temp change. When we checked out i informed the manager of my issue and offered a discount if we retuned at a later date as he could not offer a reduction since booking through expedia... Needless to say we will not be going back.

Room Tip: Dont go not worth it even at a cheap rate.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Shawn B
Manager_BowViewLodge, Manager at Bow View Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Thank you for your review of our property. The hotel has many options to remedy the issues that you brought to our attention.

We have a 24-hour front desk that can immediately assist you with moving rooms. We also have a maintenance department that is always on call. If moving rooms is undesirable we can provide a portable space heater that will quickly increase your room temperature while our maintenance team addresses heating concerns.

Our premier property Banff Park Lodge has new pillow-top mattresses in all their guest rooms. A room-move to our premier property would have been easily accomplished on this particular date had this been brought to our attention.

Unfortunately, when I asked the guests whether they reported the problem with the heat, the beds being uncomfortable or the appearance of the room they indicated that they did not contact anyone until departure.

We feel that we could have rectified the problem promptly had it been reported to us upon discovery. We offered a $40 room rate for a future visit this winter and we hope the guests will return for a stay with us or in our premier property.