“Avoid like the Plague”

Ranked #31 of 32 Hotels in Banff
Melbourne, Australia
“Avoid like the Plague”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We booked online for this hotel for 2 nights in a twin double bed room, when we got there the rude woman told to go to the next hotel cause we were staying there then turned away from us. We walked over to the Spruce Inn and got another rude man telling us we had a single room for one night, we were not happy and told him so. He blamed the hotel next door for the stuff-up, he did give us a King Corner room on the top floor which he said was quieter( NOT) and handed over the breakfast vouchers before turning away to talk to his Asian customers. What he didn't do was give us any info on where the breakfast was held or what time it was, not good enough for the price we paid! We stayed here from July 11th til 13th.

Room Tip: at the back on the top floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank anne d
David B, General Manager at Banff Voyager Inn, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Good day to you,

I am so sorry to hear that your recent visit to the Hotel was nowhere near your expectations; your observations and comments have been brought up and discussed with the departments involved.
Your unsatisfactory experiences were an obvious concern especially when it comes to Guest Service & staff service because these are particular areas that the Hotel receives many positive comments, praise and feed back on in particular from our many overseas visitors.
Again I truly thank you for your feed back and the areas of concern will be again & repeatedly worked on with the staff.
Sincere regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed July 11, 2013

A decent room if you are only planning to sleep in it. I was out and about all day so no big deal. Check-in was great...girl was very friendly and most helpful. The restaurant was good too, except the one morning when I seated myself (the sign in front says wait to be seated). I proceeded to and them was moved (while in the middle of my breakfast) because a larger group had showed up. I commented that it was inconvenient and she proceeded to say...well lady, you are not the only one in this hotel! Very rude indeed. Walls are paper thin and you can here people peeing in the next room but again, you get what you pay for. Check our was a terrible experience. Stood at desk for 10 mins until someone decided to show up. He was a complete [--]. Didn't say good morning....or thank you...or how my stay was. Spent $700 and not even a thank you. These people tend to forget that I (a guest) am the reason they are in business. Will not stay there again NOR would I recommend to anyone else. The upside is that the money I saved on hotel costs, I splurged on sovenirs :). Will be writing a letter to management when I get back home as the owners needled to know the kind of staff they are hiring.

1 Thank Mary S
Good day,

The Hotel certainly thanks you for your constructive comments (even less than good ones) as it uses them when training staff and whilst always striving to improve especially in the area of Guest Service.

It is good to hear that your check in experience was good & welcoming as was most of your experience in the restaurant. Unfortunately the restaurant service was not up to standard on one occassion and as such the Restaurant Manager has been informed & she has gone over the policies & processes with her staff; because even though your experience was so very far from the normal (the restaurant & guest services staff get many compliments) it can never happen again.

I am obviously concerned that your check out experience was not good and I am somewhat surprised as the Front Desk is a 24 hour operation and the only time it might be unmanned for a short time would be during the middle of the night (when the night audit/security is doing his 'rounds"). It certainly appears that your experience was not up to the standards that are normally offered & are expected, the Front Desk manager will be addressing these matters with her team & additional training is being given.

Again many thanks for your observations.
Edmonton
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Stayed here July 5-7, worst mistake ever! I got a groupon for a room with 2 Queen beds so I thought perfect with a little discount it will be alright. We tried to check in at 330 to find the front desk girl very rude and unfriendly and told us check in wasn't till 4 then turned her back to us. We came back an hour later to get our room. Walking into the room I noticed one bed was hard looked like they had a sheet of plywood under it and the other looked as though there was a huge indent in the bed... Yup there was! The rooms were hot and muggy and the walls are paper thin. They give u vouchers when You check in for 7.00 towards breakfast so we went down the next morning to find there was a free continental breakfast and the voucher was good towards the hot breakfast which u pay another 7.30 upon for bacon and eggs at a buffet.
The pool was out side, small and depending if it was sunny out depended on how warm it was. The hot tub was atrocious, mold all over the tiles, the jets didn't work, and water stains all over the ceiling with a hint of moldy musky damp smell to go along with it. Then the front desk lady came to out room who could not speak English and used her key to open the door to check if anyone was in the room, it was well passed cleaning time so they would have known this info already. The distance into town is a drive but totally doable. U could walk it but it will take 30 mins... Don't do it, spend the extra and go somewhere else... Horrible worst most disgusting hotel ever!

4 Thank amielynn80
Thank you for your observations & comments.

The hotel always welcomes "Constructive" comments and observations (even poor ones) as they help with the on-going training and developing of the staff and operations.
It is difficult to investigate some of the observations as it is hard to relate them to the hotel & its operations - no bed in either Hotel (the next door hotel - Spruce Grove Inn a much newer property) has a sheet of anything (let alone plywood) under them: the hotel has no Guest Service Agents that can not speak absolutely fluent english: the outdoor pool is heated (it is not dependant on the weather) and is currently in regular guest use as is the indoor hot tub (which has had zero issues with non working jets).

But again the hotel thanks you for your observations and will use them in the on-going training programs.

Travelers are raving about these Banff hotels

Southfield, Michigan
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We bid on a room on priceline (without knowing which hotel) and we were concerned when we read the reviews of this hotel. HOWEVER, we were pleasantly surprised.
GOOD: clean room, spotless housekeeping, average beds, best price in town, free parking, walking distance to food, flat screen TV, soft towels, tiny balcony, our check-in was friendly (tho we saw another exchange that was not). We had a quiet room at the end of the seond floor, east wing.
BAD: no elevator, wifi was not accessible, worn and chipped walls, $100 damage deposit (refundable), some road noise, and trains roll through town blowing their whistles. Ask for a room away from the liquor store.

1 Thank HTOTMO
A very good day to you,

Many thanks for your very constructive review - your observations are very helpful with regard to staff training and property up grading.
We are very glad to hear that you found the hotel & your stay to be enjoyable and that the staff were welcoming and friendly plus your room was very clean & tidy (your observations have been passed onto both the Guest Service & Housekeeping Departments).
It is unfortunate about the Wi-Fi access it is proving to be a serious problem and issue for the Hotel and as such we are working with the Service Supplier to instigate a major upgrade & improvement in service.
The hotel being a much older property unfortunately does not have elevators for its 2 floors and it would probably not be possible to install them. As far as the CP Rail trains there is nothing that any properties in town can do about them as they run though the night & blow their whistles to scare animals off the tracks, the joys of living in the Park!

Again many thanks and we are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay.
Regards
Canada
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Just came back from anovernight stay. NO air conditioning m and it was 30 degrees C outside. The Internet does NOT work. They would say..lots of people are on right now or it must be down. No time even an apology. A guy who lives. Across the alley bragged about how he comes to the pool everyday...he just goes right in. No security or door locks to access pools. Pretty evident. Not sure if I would stay here again. Ice machines did not work. The breakfast is a joke. Long walk to downtown. So there. Make it up to me

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank burnyourmoney
Welcome,

Thank you for your review some of your observations were interesting and valuable to the Hotel and its operations.

It is very true that the hotel does not have air conditioning due to it being a much older property and the fact that air conditioning might be needed in Banff for about 3 weeks in a year, the sister property next door ( a new property) was built with air conditioning.
The free Wi-Fi has been an issue this year what with the location and the greatly increasing demand it has been crashing with over use, as a result the Hotel is working with the service supplier to instigate major upgrades & improvements.
The ice machines in the Hotel like all equipment might stop working but when this occurs the service company is immediately called, but on no occassion this year have all 3 machines been down at the same time.
The Hotel Complimentary Buffet Breakfast (i.e. all one can eat as often as one wants) gets many positive reviews due to the choices available - various juices, tea, coffee, various cereals, toast, fresh fruit salad, fresh grapefruit, yogurt, various muffins, various pastries etc.
Not understanding the comments about the security locks on the pool doors; they are locked every night at 10pm and not unlocked until 10am (in fact we have had some guests asking why the pool is not open earlier & later - it is not for exactly the stated security reasons) - I would suggest that the comments made by another person are not worth taking notice off as his claims are not correct.
Unfortunately we can do nothing about the hotel's location in relation to downtown but there is a very good local bus service that stops right beside the hotel.

Sincere regards.
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stayed here and it was fine. Nothing fancy. Staff are nice, room is clean but as I've said nothing fancy. If you just need a place to sleep, I wouldn't mind coming back here. Around 10-15 minute walk downtown. I stayed for a night with my friend and didnt have any problem.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank iluvsugar
Hello,

I am very glad to hear that you stay was pleasant and worked well for you.
The staff always like to go out of their way to help and look after the Hotels Guests with friendly & welcoming service.
Your comments in regard to the room cleanliness have been passed on the the Housekeeping Department as it is always important to let staff know when they are doing a good job & not just tell them about poor comments.

Again many thanks and we certainly look forward to welcoming you in the future.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I decided to stay at the Banff Voy Inn because i was on a small budget. In all honesty I would've rathered stayed in a garbage dump rather than stay at the Voy. This terrible expierience happened as soon as i walked through the doors. I checked in at the hotel and the front desk was awfully rude with me. She ignored me and kept rolling her eyes at me as though i was a burden to her. I got checked into the hotel and as soon as I walked in I wanted to turn around and leave. There was blood all over the walls and it smelt like moth balls. I then went to the front desk to complain about it and the front desk said they would talk to the housekeepers in the morning and there was nothing done. I didnt even get a discount on the room nor didn't I even get my room cleaned the next day.

I recommend travellers to stay somewhere else rather then The Voyager. Stay in a dump, it's much better

Room Tip: just go somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Eija K

The matters you relate to have been passed to the Department Heads to be investigated: they will also involve their staff in additional training should the investigations show there is a need to do so.

Regards