“Works for me”
Review of Banff Voyager Inn

Banff Voyager Inn
Ranked #32 of 34 Hotels in Banff
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stayed here and it was fine. Nothing fancy. Staff are nice, room is clean but as I've said nothing fancy. If you just need a place to sleep, I wouldn't mind coming back here. Around 10-15 minute walk downtown. I stayed for a night with my friend and didnt have any problem.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank iluvsugar
David B, General Manager at Banff Voyager Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Hello,

I am very glad to hear that you stay was pleasant and worked well for you.
The staff always like to go out of their way to help and look after the Hotels Guests with friendly & welcoming service.
Your comments in regard to the room cleanliness have been passed on the the Housekeeping Department as it is always important to let staff know when they are doing a good job & not just tell them about poor comments.

Again many thanks and we certainly look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

I decided to stay at the Banff Voy Inn because i was on a small budget. In all honesty I would've rathered stayed in a garbage dump rather than stay at the Voy. This terrible expierience happened as soon as i walked through the doors. I checked in at the hotel and the front desk was awfully rude with me. She ignored me and kept rolling her eyes at me as though i was a burden to her. I got checked into the hotel and as soon as I walked in I wanted to turn around and leave. There was blood all over the walls and it smelt like moth balls. I then went to the front desk to complain about it and the front desk said they would talk to the housekeepers in the morning and there was nothing done. I didnt even get a discount on the room nor didn't I even get my room cleaned the next day.

I recommend travellers to stay somewhere else rather then The Voyager. Stay in a dump, it's much better

Room Tip: just go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Eija K

The matters you relate to have been passed to the Department Heads to be investigated: they will also involve their staff in additional training should the investigations show there is a need to do so.

Regards

Reviewed April 12, 2013

decided to pick this hotel a few days beforwe the easter long weekend to avoid to masses of people and the increased rates, so the price was okay (i think it was like 115 per night or something). first arived and got some parking, it was a small sheltered lot which was fine because it wasnt busy . checked in and was give the comp breakfast coupons without the $7 upgrade and the wifi tickets, the guy did not bother to let us know what floor, or area in the builing we were located nor where the elevators were.....if there were any. brought all the luggage up to our room only to find that the houskeeping did not do a very good job. first thing we noticed was on the desk there was left over pot buds.. and it wasnt like u could really miss it if you were cleaning the room. i swept it onto the floor dispite some temptations, and my bf called down to let them know. they were quick to get a man to come up and vacume out floor but that was all they did for us. made me wonder what else had been "cleaned". the room still smelt like pot but we just desided to open the balcony door. the rest of the night went fine although we had to call down for a few things, we also asked if they had a mini fridge but were informed it would cost 30$ a day ( OMGGG) the front desk guy was a very kind man, he let us use the microwave in the staff room since they had none available. the morning we went to breakfast was very dissapointing, there were a few items we were aloude to have and they did not look very apitizing, and if you wanted and hot food you had to pay an extra 7$, sdo much for a "complementary" breakfast. we were leaving on the saturday and the night before i asked for a late check out and the front desk agent said it was perfectly fine.....here comes the most pathetic part !...the morning we were leaving , so saturday , we did not need service so we put up the DND sign. from what i understand this means you dont disturb the room . well a lady knocked on the door and i said nservice please, she then said its check out so i opened the door, she said we needed to check out, i explained that i called last night to get a late check out and they said i was aloud and she would not do anything to compromise she only said you cant have a late check out i have new customers coming be out by 1130 no later and she left. i was kind of shocked that she didnt seem to care to much about the situation. when we went down to check out i informed one of the front desk ladys how our stay when, she apologiezed prefusely and asked me to describe the lady that kicked us out of our room, she then told me that that was the OWNER OF THE HOTEL! I guess we now know how important the guest is to the owner of this hotel (on a scale from 1-10 probably in the negitives) the front desk agent also looked at our reservation and saw that we were in fact checking out at 1 not 11 and she apologized again, she even sugested that i write a review when i got the chance!
this is a bad quality hotel that needs a new cleaning system and owner!!!
avoid at all costs!

Room Tip: "internet did not work" "owner doesnt care about guests at all" "poor ho...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank tjayy
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night in April 2013 and had a very pleasant stay. Though the hotel is old (perhaps the oldest in Banff) and dated, the premises is very clean and comfortable. We had a very pleasant stay and would certainly stay here again, though only if the price was low enough (we paid $70 per night... wouldn't pay much more than $75 per night, or I would feel like we got ripped off). The hotel is right on Banff Avenue just as you enter town, and it is a bit of a walk into the heart of the town, but still walkable. I would recommend this hotel to budget conscious travellers, though I know better deals can be found in town.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank USCTrojansFan23
David B, General Manager at Banff Voyager Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Many thanks for your review and comments; it is very helpful to hear what & how Guests feel about their stays and the Hotel - constructive comments (both good & bad) always help in the continual striving to improve.
I am very glad to hear that your stay - at the winter/low season rate (this type of rate will most likely always be the case in low season; except for "Long Weekends") - was comfortable and met your needs.
You are correct the Voyager is one of the oldest hotels in town & it is located at the begining of Banff Avenue as one enters town, therefore the walk downtown is about 10 to 15 mins but it is flat and providing the weather is kind it is a pleasant walk.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed here March 29-30, 2013. First off they over charged us by about two nights extra.. not a big deal because it was sorted out eventually. Then we discovered that the wifi wasn't working.. which I understand it was a long weekend but when I called, all I was offered was "keep trying". What made it worse was there was about 7 fuzzy channels on the tv. When we got down to breakfast, the "free continental" breakfast had fruit and a few muffins and we would have been charged extra for the hot table food. Also, when we were checking out and voiced our complaints, the front desk really had nothing to say except "sorry, there's nothing we can do". Not impressed with anything about this hotel. Also, there was no parking because you would have had to have dragged your luggage through a lake in the middle of the parking lot.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JessicaC1234
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stayed one night on Easter weekend, could have booked other hotels for the same rate but chose this one because it had a fairly high rating on tripadvisor and staff were friendly on the phone. Not the best decision I have ever made. Right away the lobby bathrooms were disgusting which pretty much set the mood for the rest of the stay. Our room was fine, but obviously no vaccuming done because there was loads of dust and hair around the corners of the floor. There was an old mess of something left on the side of one of the beds (looked like vomit) but we only realized after we got all settled in. I called the front desk and said we could just share the other bed for the night and they offered a discount "to be determined the next morning." They ended up giving us $30 off our rate of $120 which in my opinion is pathetic considering the issue. I understand that it was a busy weekend and they can bump the rates but there is no way this facility is worth $90 per night on it's best day. The room should have been free after finding what we found on the bed. Not to mention the "free wifi" included in the price didn't work at all. We were told that when a concrete building of that size is full of people, the wifi signal cant reach most places. Poor excuse in my opinion, bigger concrete buildings have figured it out. Also, free parking is advertised but there's only about 20 stalls and otherwise you have to park in a dirty back alley. Unless you are getting this hotel for an amazing deal, I advise to stay away. The only thing it has going for it is nice staff.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank YoungTraveller11
David B, General Manager at Banff Voyager Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Good day,
Thank you for your review & observations on Trip Advisor, the Hotel always welcomes constructive comments/observations (both good & poor/bad ones) as they help towards the continual on-going process of striving to improve.
Housekeeping department have been given your observations so they can immediately investigate, correct & improve with regard to the issues highlighted.
Unfortunately I am not sure where the figure in regard to parking bays has come from as the Hotel has 60 parking bays (30 on either side of the building) that are semi covered plus the bus lane pull in directly behind the hotel.
With regard to the wi-fi (which is always free) it does slow down when there is a "full house" and so many guests are using it at the similar time; but this past long weekend (always a bad time - Long Weekends - for equipment issues!!) an equipment issue/break down did occur (a Telus Modem crashed) and a tech from the IT Company was called and eventually arrived from Calgary to replace the faulty piece of equipment & get the Internet back to being in full service.

Once again the Hotel very much welcomes your observations and they will be used to help the continual process of striving to improve.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Voy.
We did have problems getting into our room and had to ask for a new room. A mini fridge would be a great addition to rooms!
Our room was clean, the beds comfy,the staff was kind. We were blown away by the food at the restaurant!! After a day of skiing and touring we didn't feel like leaving the hotel so we decided to use the in house establishment. What an amazing, tasty feast! It's a shame more people don't try it out.

Thank you to the staff at the Voy for making our trip to Banff a great one.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank M B
David B, General Manager at Banff Voyager Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Good day to you,
Many thanks for your review and observation in regard to your recent visit to the Hotel - it is great to hear opinions & feed back from Guests as it helps towards the continual training etc.
I am very glad to hear that you had an enjoyable visit to Banff & the Ski Hills as well your stay at the Hotel was comfortable and enjoyable.
Many thanks with regard to your comments with regard to the Hotel/Restaurant meals & food, I do agree & personally I feel the food selection and quality is of a good to high standard: the Head Chef is always working on new items & improving the current selection.
The Hotel has recently re-decorated the restaurant whilst at the same time re-launched it under a new theme (i.e. a Smoke House, with on-site smoking of many of the menu items!!) hopefully with promotion over the summer (we will be attending with samples the annual Food & Wine Show in May at the Banff Springs Hotel) the name will get out there.
Once again many thanks for your observations and we look forward to welcoming you next time you visit beautiful Banff.