“Only o.k,”

Banff Ptarmigan Inn
Ranked #25 of 33 Hotels in Banff
Reviewed October 19, 2010

Stayed for 3 nights and was surprised to recieve an upgrade to a Balcony room. The room itself was ok, but could do with some minor refurbishment/ repairs. The door had a fold over lock to stop the door opening more than a couple of inches, however the frame work where it fitted was split rendering it useless. The main problem was some sort of fan that was extremly noisy and was running all night long, this has been mentioned before on other reviews. For anyone that likes a quite night be warned that the train horns can be heard at all times of the day and night. Unfortunatly this is beyond the control of the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 14, 2010

The hotel looks OK and has a nice location, the people in the front desk seems nice and polite, I am alone and stay there for three days, it is in the end of September not a busy season.
They put me on the worst room of the hotel, first floor for handicap person, when I got into the room I feel no air circulation in the room so i call the front desk and they told me the whole hotel has no air condition just open the window, so I did. The room is spacious since is for handicap and bath room also big, but spider hanging down from ceiling which I tolerate it, but after I went to sleep around 12:30am I started heard loud noise from closed distance until I don't know what time I guess I fall asleep around 4 -5 am and woke up 9:30am then I call the front desk about the noise, ask to change room. She check for a long time and seems very hard to find a room for me, finally 2nd floor room but in the same side ( noise side) , I have no other choice, I feel very hopeless there in the different country. The noise is from next building which is a night club right next to my room that I stay first night.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
littleworld, General Manager at Banff Ptarmigan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us. Although September is usually rather quiet in Banff, this September we were very busy, and this is why we were unable to accommodate your request of another room, we had none available. I apologize for the noise level; we do our best to keep it to a minimum, but have little influence individuals who are not staying in our hotel. There is in fact no night club located beside the hotel, the closest one is more than 2 blocks away, but we do have two other hotels on each side of us and the noise must have been coming from one of these hotels.

Reviewed October 11, 2010

We stayed 2 nights here as part of a Rocky Mountaineer tour. The staff were helpful when asked but did not offer information - we only found out from another guest that free bus passes were available for the bus to Banff Springs.
The room was comfortable and had a jacuzzi in the bathroom - a welcome bonus.
The breakfast buffet was good value if a little variable in quality. In the evenings it becomes the 'Meatball' restaurant' and was a good venue for dinner - highly recommended.

There were 2 main negative points:
1.A constant noise which sounded like a worn-out AHU fan - you got used to it but it was always there in the background.
2. Noise from traffic in the early morning. It was warm during our stay so we needed the windows open and there is no a/c. Fine normally but we had a street-front room so the traffic noise was bothersome.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mekydro
Reviewed September 21, 2010

Had a surprise hotel surprise for my gf and i and everything was great had no problems only good things to say

Reviewed September 20, 2010

We checked in using priceline and were told that the basic rooms overlooked the atrium which had a wedding that night and would be noisy but they would move us to a superior room to avoid the wedding. Great.

The superior room was HOT and only had one bed. We called the desk and they cheerfully moved us to a much larger and very quiet room near the back. The room was nice, the beds were very comfy. The staff was wonderful to deal with.

We did eat at the restaurant which was average.

1  Thank 24lotsoftravel
littleworld, General Manager at Banff Ptarmigan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2010

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us at the Banff Ptarmigan Inn, and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I am glad to hear that we were able to accommodate your request for a different room, and would like to encourage all guests to let us know if they are unhappy with the room they are allocated, as we will always do our best to oblige all requests. We hope that you are able to return and visit us again in the future.

Reviewed September 10, 2010

Stayed here September 2010. I read everybody's reviews before we stayed here and I was a little worried about staying here after we had made the booking. However because I wasn't expecting much from Ptarmigan Inn, I really enjoyed the accommodation. The room was large, the furniture was well maintained. The sheets on the 2 X Queen beds were absolutely beautiful. Everything about the room was lovely and clean.

We did stay here on a very rainy and cold period in September, not when it was hot so I cannot comment on the a/c. Perhaps my husband and I loved Ptarmigan Inn so much because we stayed at the Lake Louise Inn the day before and the Ptarmigan stood out in comparison to the LL Inn.

Location was great, on the main Banff drag. Free parking, free wireless internet.

1  Thank lilmissmel
Reviewed September 9, 2010

Booked this through Expedia,so was unaware standard rooms had no windows,the room was far too stuffy so asked to be moved to a room with a window,which cost $20 extra?! I have never had to pay for fresh air and refused to,to be fair to the fake friendly receptionist she did this at no charge.Room 324 however was dirty,overlooked a noisy car park,and the wifi didn't work,when I mentioned this on checkout the same apathetic receptionist said "oh well"
other negatives : corridors thin,not wheelchair friendly (one of our party in a chair) and no ramp to restaurant from lobby.
Plus note to bar guy who was on duty on Tuesday 7th,friendly,chatty & professional;maybe he could give the front desk some lessons.
This hotel is overpriced and undertrained,I would not reccommend it.

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank slath

We're always sorry to hear that a stay isn't perfect, and will do our best to fix all issues within our control. We do have wheel chair accessible rooms located on the first floor, and encourage our guests to either mention this request at the time of book or even at check in, and we will make an effort to assign one of these rooms.