“Good, large hotel in convenient location”
Review of Elk + Avenue Hotel

Elk + Avenue Hotel
Ranked #12 of 34 Hotels in Banff
Reviewed November 11, 2008

This is a large hotel with good facilities, 24 hour front desk, and popular with tour groups. Check-in staff were very helpful, and the room was very comfortable and clean, with mini-fridge. There is a free underground car park, which is a great asset at any time of year (not just winter), as on-street parking is very difficult in Banff. The hotel is on the main street, and all of the shops and restaurants are within 5 to 15 minutes walk. There is a restaurant in the hotel, but I didn't eat there - there are too many great places to eat nearby. This is a good base for a stay of up to a week, and represents good value for Banff. The hotel's web site says it offers free wireless internet, but I distinctly remember that the system said it only offered a free period to try it (enough for me to book my next hotel on this trip), and you would need to pay after the first few minutes - maybe this has changed in the past few months since I stayed there.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,458)

Reviewed September 30, 2008

We stayed here for 2 nights in a spacious small suite (2 queen size beds, sitting area, bathroom). No air conditioning, but ceiling and freestanding fans. Decoration of room was dingy. Beds were really uncomfortable - the first to be so in our trip. Breakfast is served in the restaurant and there is a choice of a buffet (plentiful and good) or a la carte. There is a car park in the basement. The town centre is quite compact, and there is a good range of restaurants to choose from. We didn't use the hotel's restaurant apart from breakfast, but the menu looked good. The hotel is bigger than it appears, and easily caters for tourists.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LancashireMouse
Reviewed August 8, 2008

The hotel is in a great location, just next door to a Safeway, and a short walk to the extensive Banff shopping. There's free underground parking, but no security. The room was stuffy and had no A/C. No view either....saw only a large piece of engineering equipment, or something like that. Bed was the hardest I've ever slept on, and I'm not usually picky regarding beds. Internet available, but pretty expensive. It's not a terrible place, though, just don't expect something fabulous.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank NG2000
Reviewed August 6, 2008

I have stayed in the hotel during a weekend vacation. I find it amazing for its price. Its location is a bonus, it is near all banff attractions, I didn't have a car, and I found it easy to walk to any place.
The hotel itself is so clean, the service is excellent.
I recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2008

This hotel is very conveniently located to shopping and restaurants but that is really the main thing it has in the plus side.
The rooms were only adequate. Breakfast service was okay but they weren't good about making sure the buffet dishes were kept filled. I only ate dinner in the the hotel restaurant one night. It was a tour group dinner with limited selection. I had rainbow trout which was good.

I probably would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed July 22, 2008

Stayed one night, it was off the cuff. We were camping and the weather took a turn for the nasty. Hotel was clean, room was average, enough room for the two of us..The one sticking point was that the queen bed was as hard as a slab of concrete. Did not sleep at all. Very, very disappointing for the price and the hotel lounge closed at 10:30, what's with that?

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mike19111
Reviewed July 19, 2008

I stayed at the International for approximately 1 week and the location was excellent. I encountered 2 reception staff members who were not too bad but the rest were shocking.

I was fairly happy with my room..the ceiling fan was a necessity as it was quite stuffy.

My rate didn't include breakfast and I didn't eat there as it seemed quite expensive. That wasn't a problem though as there were so many great places to go to in town.

If I had of looked around a bit more I probably could have found something better but overall I was pretty happy with it for the price I paid and I did prefer it a lot more than the B & B I stayed in when I first arrived in Banff.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo