“Looks fab from the outside!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Elk + Avenue Hotel

Elk + Avenue Hotel
Ranked #14 of 32 Hotels in Banff
Edmonton, Canada
“Looks fab from the outside!”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Stayed here the weekend before Christmas with my in laws who were over from the UK and we were all pretty impressed when we pulled up outside and even with the foyer, then we went to our rooms; Yes they were clean (hence the 3 stars) but the place is so outdated, it would be hilarious if my in laws wouldn't have been with us but it was actually embarrassing.

On our last night we decided to have an early one so thought we would have a drink in the bar before going to bed only to be told by a very flustered lady that she was to busy to serve us!! There was one family about 8 in there and a few tables that needed clearing, thankfully the hotel bar next door was much more obliging!

Never again would I stay or recommend this place no matter how cheap it is!

Room Tip: Maybe ask to see a few you never know maybe mine and my in laws were the only dated ones!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle250
MRHGuestServices, Hotel Sales Coordinator at Elk + Avenue Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Michelle250,

Thank you for your recent review of the Banff International Hotel.

We are very glad you enjoyed the outside of the hotel as well as the cleanliness. Our plans for an extensive renovation have been made a reality and we will be starting the renovation soon.

Please accept our apologies that our staff were unable to serve you in the restaurant.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Brewster Hospitality

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Budapest
Reviewed January 4, 2014

When my wife told me she'd booked this hotel on the main drag in Banff, I was dreading it would be like our last stay on Banff Avenue(see my sleep-deprived review "Bring Your Own Mattress") where because of the prime location, they don't have to care about incidental things such as guests' sleep.
But the Banff International Hotel was different & all-around super!
Every single staff member greeted us, and one- I didn't get her name- took the time to explain their $5 per day ice skate rentals for the schoolyard rink kitty corner from the hotel although she was busy covering for someone on a room service run.
The room and beds were excellent, and the housekeeping staff were meticulous each of our three-day stay. It's clear they have backed up the no-smoking expectation at this hotel, because the whole floor was sweet-smelling, along with the rest of the property.
I can't find anything important to critique!
If you forced me to say something negative, I could only say the hotel logo is dumb.

Room Tip: Our room was inward-turning, and so did not have a view. That didn't matter. In Banff, there are...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank DanielBBudapest
Dear DanielBBudapest,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Banff International Hotel.
I am so pleased you gave us 'Banff Ave' hotels another try. We do our best to ensure that our guests not only enjoy our prime location but receive the services they deserve. A good night's sleep is so important to us that when we purchased the hotel in 2012, we replaced with the mattresses with luxurious Sealy pillow-tops.

The staff member that told you about the $5 skate rentals was very happy to read that she was able to help you out.

As you mentioned, we do take our non-smoking policy very seriously and if evidence of smoke is found, we reserve the right to fine.

In response to your comment about our hotel logo... the logo you saw is actually the logo of the hotel before Brewster Hospitality purchased it. Our new logo is more fitting of the Brewster brand!

Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again!

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I selected the Banff International for three nights in mid December on the basis of price (cheap) and location (close to downtown, next door to a ski shuttle stop). All I can say is that I was impressed - the quality of the hotel more than exceeded my expectations, and the staff were friendly in the few interactions that I had with them. In fairness to those reading this I did not avail myself of any of the additional services like laundry or the ski storage room (I hired my gear on the mountains), nor did I visit the downstairs restaurant, so I cannot comment on these aspects of the hotel. However, I can certainly say that if you're after a comfortable hotel that provides easy access to Banff and all it has to offer, I would recommend the Banff International Hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear Joshua T,

Thank you for your recent review of the Banff International Hotel.

I am so pleased to read that we were able to exceed your expectations. Our location and services are perfect for guests who are looking for a hassle free stay.

Our laundry and outdoor equipment storage facilities are located in our underground parking. Plenty of signage will help our guests find them easily. Locks for the equipment storage are available at the front desk and the lockers are big enough to store powder skis and snowboards.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back should you return to the Canadian Rockies.

Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed December 26, 2013

The hotel is clean and the loft rooms are very roomy. The front desk staff were very nice.

The hotel is located in a great place. It is right near downtown. We walked down Banff avenue rather than taking our vehicle for two days. We had a truck (Ford F150) and were able to park it in the underground parking but the other 3 families we spent time with weren't able to park their trucks in the underground parking as their trucks were too tall (They had newer Ford and Chevy trucks).

I had an issue with the wifi/internet access. It was complete crap! (sorry!) Definitely not impressed with that especially since we were there during the holiday season and wanted to Skype with family on the other side of the world in the comfort of our room. They told us when we checked in that it was not the best in the rooms but it was better reception in the lobby. It wasn't any better anywhere in the hotel. I would rather pay for good internet service rather than having poor reception included in the price.

I am unsure if I would choose to stay here again. The loft rooms are great for families and it is good value for your money but the walls are paper thin, you can hear everything in the rooms beside you. Still...clean and great location.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
bihmanagement, Hotel Sales Coordinator at Elk + Avenue Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear LoriMcQ1,

Thank you for your recent review of the Banff International Hotel.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed our spacious loft rooms, friendly staff, and great location. Though we are happy to have hosted you during the holiday season, we are upset that our internet service affected communication with your family on the other side of the world. For this, please accept our sincerest apologies. I have forwarded your comments on to our Operating Directors for their review and action. We completely recognize the importance of good internet service and hope to have this issue resolved in the near future.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to host you again in the future.

Season Greetings and a Happy New Year,

Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

A solid 2.5. If a Hampton Inn in the US is a 2.5 then this may be a little less. Very comfotable. Good for groups. Harsh lighting and very very spotty internet. I finally found a fairly good location right next to the front desk. Banff is great. Beautiful setting.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear spanishchuck,

Thank you for your recent review of the Banff International Hotel.

We are so pleased to read that you found our accommodations very comfortable. Please accept our sincerest apologies if the internet was spotty during your stay. We are currently looking into resolving this issue so that our guests have the best service available to them within their guestrooms.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Wishing you the very best for the Holiday season,

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Banff international hotel was a great accommodation to stay at. Rooms were clean and the location was central. The cost was very affordable especially for a student! I will stay here again if I come to Banff.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Katelyn B,

Thank you for your recent review of the Banff International Hotel.

We are so pleased to read that you enjoyed our location, affordable pricing, and clean rooms!

We would love to host you again should you return to Banff!

Season Greetings and a Happy New Year,

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed December 17, 2013

We have stayed at the Banff International Hotel twice in the last month. Both stays were great! The rooms are a bit outdated but they have invested in the right things - comfy beds and pillows and nice big screen TV's and ipod ports. the rooms are big and really clean and the staff are friendly and helpful. There is a Ricky's onsite which is great for breakfast and the location for walking main street Banff can't be beat! If you have a car they have underground parking at no extra charge which is a real perk on a cold winter's day!
Tip: If you are an Alberta resident check their rates - they often have great incentives for residents!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
MRHGuestServices, Hotel Sales Coordinator at Elk + Avenue Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear Mar H,

Thank you for your recent review of the Banff International Hotel.
We are so pleased that you have stayed with us twice in the same month! As you mentioned, our rooms are not as updated as they could be. We do have 37" flat screen tvs, Ipod docks, new mattresses and bedding. We will be undergoing a renovation in the near future and I think you will really enjoy our new look.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you for a 3rd time very soon!

Happy Holidays,