“A good value”

Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Banff
Calgary, Ab
“A good value”
Reviewed April 4, 2012

With Banff hotels offering rates and quality at wildly inconsistent levels, we focused more on price for a two night ski trip. The Banff "I" offered a spring getaway for 99.00 per night. We asked for no pets/smoking/down pillows due to allergies and were informed this was standard. Great news. The young man at check in would speak only when spoken too. Underground parking was no extra charge. The room was very clean and a reasonable size with two queens. The mattresses were a little soft for our liking. An interesting touch to have washable duvet covers instead of the traditional bedspreads of questionable cleanliness. A quiet building notwithstanding the fellow sitting in a lounge chair out in the hall speaking on the cell phone at 11:00 at night. There is no pool, but there is a large hot tub featuring co-ed rinsing showers. One gentleman didn't notice the co-ed part and showered , um, completely. Good thing my wife wasn't there. I suggest the "no nudity" sign on the door (referring to partiers in the hot tub no doubt) might be more defined. The "I" is walking distance to many restaurants so no need to spend time at Ricky's.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mauifan125

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Like most Hotels in Banff... Average

Since Banff is generally very expensive, this hotel is great value for money. There are some great offers, like rooms with free gondola passes ($60.00 value). If you are looking for a high end fancy place, this isn't it. If you need value for money and a nice clean place to stay. This is the place

It is well located, on the Banff strip and very close to the heart of Banff. Some of the hotels are a very long walk away. Do not underestimate this, it can be very important late at night or in the cold. It also has nice heated underground parking.

The rooms were average, showing some normal wear and tear (ie toilet ran, faucet was loose). But the rooms, like the rest of the hotel were clean and that's very important. the wear and tear was average, nothing horrible.

It tries to be fancy and high end, but it just doesn't get there. Its the kind of place that calls their Ricky's All Day Grill - upscale family dining. There is nothing wrong with Ricky's, and there is nothing wrong with the Banff International, they are just not upscale.

Again, if value, saving money, and having a clean, safe, well located place in Banff is what you need, this is a good choice.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mcc129
WA
Reviewed March 10, 2012

pros: free underground parking; clean room; with clean crisp bedding; clean bathroom; walls are quite thick, we got the room at the end of the hotel so we only had one neighbour and opposite us was the emergency exit, I don't hear anything from the neighbour who is actually talking quite loudly because I can hear it when I walked down the hallway; front desk staff are lovely and very helpful; hotel is walking distance to the banff shops / downtown that we didn't need to use the car to go there; I can see that there are no aircon in the room, so I'm not sure how the hotel would be during summer, but for us in winter the room temperature was perfect; there's a restaurant downstairs; the hotel itself and the room interior are really charming with country cabin feel to it.

cons: I can hear the train going past every so often, but we found that all we needed to do was to close these latches on the windows to make it airtight & somewhat soundproof, didn't hear the train during the night anymore so that wasn't really that much of a negative for us; the bathroom wallpaper and above the sink lighting somewhat look a bit dated, but the sink, toilet and bathroom were all new and clean

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cdbunny
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed February 27, 2012

I stayed to this hotel for business and enjoyed it very much. The location is excellent at a walking distance of all shops and restaurants on Banff ave. The complimentary parking was appreciated too!

My major expectations when booking a hotel are a clean and silent room and comfortable bed and this is exactly what I got and at the price paid ($99), it was good value. I recommend this hotel to travellers to Banff. Complimentary wi-fi was a great feature too but I found it quite slow...

There is no air conditionning so in summer, rooms may be hot. I was there in February with heat at 0 and it was hot during the night. Good thing, the windows can be opened so this was not a big issue. I also think nights may be cool in summer there with the mountains surrounding.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Frick_inc
bihguestservices, Front Office Manager at Elk + Avenue Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2012
Thank you for posting your comments on your stay with us. I am very happy that we met your expectations as a traveler. Since we changed to new beds and bedding within the last year, we have received many positive comments on the comfort of our beds. Regarding our free wi-fi, it is a great feature and we are looking into increasing the bandwidth as the number of guests who access it increases day by day. Overall, it is our intention to offer good value at a fair price, and we hope to do so again for you in the future should you come back this way.

North Battleford, Canada
Reviewed February 22, 2012

Stayed here over the February break 2012. Absolutely impressed with the place. Nice large hallways (might not seem important, but try hauling all you ski bags down a busy narrow one). The rooms were very clean and a good size. My only complaint would be the hot-tub, the chlorine was a little strong, it had my eyes watering after a couple minutes. Lots of room for parking underneath, and when they say 6'1" clearance,,they mean it. The absolute best part was the location, it doesn't get much closer to the down-town than this. We never did try the hotels resturant but it did have a nice lounge area and a pretty good selection on the menu.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Snowputter
I read your review with pleasure and I thank you for posting it. I am happy that we impressed you with some of our most notable qualities - our fantastic location, our spacious facilities, and our very clean rooms. Thank you again. I will pass on your comment about the hot tub to our Maintenance Manager.

Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed February 5, 2012

I booked my stay for few weeks in advance to the Banff International Hotel and later read some reviews about the place. I was a little worried after reading what some people said say about and began to have low expectations for the hotel. Yet when we arrived to the hotel with my sister we were impressed with the great service and helpful advice given by the front desk people. After parking in the spacious underground parking lot we found our room (Premium Deluxe Guest Room) and we were THRILLED to discover a beautiful room with lots of room. I don't know if all the rooms look like ours but seriously this place was beautiful for what we paid for. We were on the top floor, looking over the entire town and great mountain view, beautiful furniture and bedding. Sure our room got a little warm but by evening things cooled off.
I would highly highly recommend staying here for it's perfect down town location and it's
Premium Deluxe Guest Room.

Room Tip: My room was room 603 which is usually the top floor room you see of the hotel with lots of windows...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Teaka R
I thank you very much for posting your review. I am extremely pleased that we were able to “thrill” you. Our Premium Deluxe rooms are very good value with beautiful mountain views. They truly show off the beauty that is Banff. I will pass on your comments to the front desk staff as they are constantly striving to do what they did for you. Once again, thank you for the encouraging comments.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed February 2, 2012

We booked a couple rooms here for a girls weekend and was extremely impressed to see that for the price of a regular double queen room we actually had 3 queen beds in one of the rooms and TONS of space for all our stuff. This was great with having 8 of us between 2 rooms. Also, the hotel is in a great location if your wanting to go out on the town. It's about a 3 block walk to get to any of the pubs/bars. I will definately stay here again!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Brianne C
Your comments are much appreciated and I thank you for taking time out of your day to post a review of our property. I am very happy that you enjoyed the spaciousness and comfort of our rooms. We strive to make our guests comfortable and we more than welcome you to stay again!

Daren - Front Office Manager