“Usually good,but this time awful”

Best Western Plus Siding 29 Lodge
Ranked #16 of 33 Hotels in Banff
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We have stayed at this BW in Banff many times. It almost felt like they had a change in mgt, as so many things had slipped. The room wasn't cleaned properly and i had to ask the chamber maid to remake a bed as there were STAINS on the linens. The patio door was filthy as well. Our room and the hallway stunk of aerosol room deodorizer. It was so strong it made us cough. The hallways were constantly filthy as they didn't vacuum the hall the entire weekend? The pool is usually such a high point of our stay. Its usually so warm and comfy. I jumped in and it was FREEZING!! 66 degrees is ridiculous. I complained and they turned it up for the next day? The hot tub was also turned down to pool temp, not hot tub temp. I thought maybe they were saving money on heating?? I don't know, but i nearly had a heart attack when i jumped into the frigid pool, which is normally very warm.
The breakfast is decent, except for the sausages.
It was the first snowfall of 2013, so it got quite cold during the night. I turned the heat on to no avail. THE HAD THAT TURNED OFF AS WELL!!. I phoned the front desk at 5am and they then turned our heat on?
I understand if it is off season, but you can't turn down heat for the sake of saving a couple dollars smh.
I will probably book the BW in Canmore next time.
It is too bad, because the location of this hotel is fantastic.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Milkmannn

Reviewed November 2, 2013

As someone who hasn't had much of a great experience with Best Western properties. I must say, this was definitely a nice change.

Clean room, friendly staff. The hotel provides free underground parking, although sometimes it can be a bit hard to find a place to park if there's lots of guests staying at that night. Distance from city center is just about right. There is a Shell gas station right across the hotel, so there's no excuse of running out of gas!

Extremely quiet location, especially at night. Expect a good nights sleep here.

Honestly I'd prefer staying here compared to Fairmont Banff Springs. The rooms were too small at the Fairmont and there were way too many people.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I have stayed at the location multiple times and keep coming back as its always clean and has very friendly staff. I enjoy the morning breakfasts that are included with the room rate. The hotel is just a short walk from downtown Banff and hosts underground parking. The only drawback is that the parking garage can't fit my new truck but there is free parking on the side streets.

Room Tip: The hotel offers preferred rates for auto association (AMA, BCAA, AAA).
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank David B
Reviewed October 29, 2013

As mentioned in the title, we enjoyed the location of the hotel as it is close to the town centre but off the main street. It was extremely quiet. The hotel was clean, the full breakfast was alo very good.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Stayed two nights here. It was alright, but I've seen better at this price. My personal preference is a harder bed, but these ones were very very soft & deep and so high I had to jump/climb up, and I'm 5'9. This would be very difficult for anyone with mobility issues, as the bed is higher than your butt, so you can't just sit down.
The room was clean, though not fastidiously so. The plug-ins were HORRIBLE. One was busted and unusable (cracked with chunks missing off the face) and the other was so loose that nothing stayed plugged in to it, and it was way far away from a bed making having a plugged in laptop in bed impossible. This was probably the most annoying thing I found with the room.
The bathroom was weirdly narrow -- there's no reason why some of the space in the main room couldn't be given up to make the bathroom wider. The ceilings are low too -- someone who's tall (6 ft.) would find it annoying.
The pool is utterly filthy and the hot tub unusable due to the excessive chlorine. I stood up with the water to my waist in the hot tub and had an asthma attack and had to be helped out because I couldn't breathe. I recovered quickly once removed from the hot tub and just stayed in the pool. There's a filthy stained mold ring all the way around the pool at the water line with mold on wet spots around the edge.
There is no spot to change at the pool itself and the edge of the pool is extremely narrow. We couldn't pass each other easily without having to be extremely careful not to knock the other in to the pool. There are cheap plastic garden chairs around the edges taking up some precious space and you have to sit or move to get past people due to the narrow edging around the pool. The chairs are covered in dirt/mold and are disgusting. I went swimming anyway for the exercise. Even with doing laps (not easy to do - the pool is really short), the water is really cold. There is no place to change so you have to drip water all the way back to your room, which means the hallway is always wet and then the doorway of our hotel room and bathroom were waterlogged and I had to clean it up. It seems like the pool was an afterthought and sort've jammed in at the last minute without any care or attention. Additionally, the pool is right in front of rooms, and the entire 2nd floor can gawk. Most pools at most hotels I use are usually closed off somewhat, but this one was glass all around to the street and hotel rooms. That's more of a personal preference issue but I found the invasion of privacy was not appreciated.
The breakfast was great, though the oatmeal watery (again, personal preference). The breakfast area is very small - seats only 25. This time of year, it's not so bad, but I can imagine in peak times, it would be difficult to get in.
The staff were friendly & helpful and zero complaints there. Good staff make/break a hotel for me, and they helped making the entire hotel (especially that pool, as I love to swim!) much more tolerable.
Overall, the hotel is fine. A tad overpriced, imo, and needs some general housecleaning done. That pool needs to be emptied and cleaned/stripped of all mold, immediately and those plastic cheap wal-mart chairs tossed. Minor things like scraggly fraying towels and tears in pillows and broken face plates on plug-ins are just sheer laziness on the part of the owners. $40 in repairs and new towels to save customers is a small thing!
Would I stay here again? Maybe. But the problem with a place like Banff is that there are SO many other places that a huge hotel chain like this has zero excuses in slacking off.
...and oh god, that POOL!
For a Best Western Plus, it does not deserve the title 'Plus'. I've stayed an an awful lot of BWs over the years (almost exclusively, to a point) and this 'Plus' one is worse than some regular BWs I've stayed at. Not good, and I will be informing BW HQ about this one.

Room Tip: Rooms in the early 200s are right in front of the pool. The pool is open until 11pm and echoes terri...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Mcnotmac
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Best Western hotels are our choice for hotels when traveling so I was happy to find this one for our visit to Banff. The room, while not very large was comfortable. The underground parking was a HUGE plus. This hotel offers complimentary breakfast with your stay and for the most part, it was pretty good. It's conveniently located and not far from area attractions. If you're looking for an affordable, comfortable hotel, I recommend staying here. Be sure to sign up for BW rewards. The points add up!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Hotel in good location, rooms would be average with our experience in the last month. Most expensive and other than a very good breakfast nothing outstanding about the property. Staff almost bordered on "could care less" attitude when I asked about my request for an upgrade. The customer pays the bills and staff need to be reminded of this, we are there because we choose your facility please give us this respect as there are other choices.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple