“Good place to escape for a day”

BEST WESTERN PLUS Siding 29 Lodge
Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in Banff
Calgary, Canada
“Good place to escape for a day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

Living in Calgary can be stressful and it can be tough to get away but thankfully the national park is just next door. I stayed at this hotel twice last year (April and Oct) and enjoyed myself both times. Parking is free and underground so requires your room card. The grounds are well kept and the lobby is very nice with a good mix of tile, wood and artwork. There is coffee as well. For those who do not have computer there is one in the lobby to check your email and the web. They have free wireless in the rooms which was a good connection so I could watch some races without buffering.

The first time my room was on the second floor and for a standard it is spacious which is good when you want to relax and not have cramped accommodation. A couple of highback chairs and a table to sit at, big armoire and two queen beds. There was a microwave, minifridge and coffeemaker with teas as well. My room was facing the street so I had a balcony which had a nice view. There was a chair out there too so I could read and drink tea while enjoying the mountain air. If street side is not for you there are rooms facing the back as well. Bathrooms were renovated. The second trip in October I was on the 3rd floor and the room there was very good as well.

The breakfast room is a little small but works. Anyone who has travelled a lot knows breakfasts can be of all kinds but I found the variety was good and there is something for most everyone. Eggs, sausage, waffles, cereal, pancakes, breads, fruit and fruit cocktail, etc. There is a flat screen TV as well to catch the early news while eating. Front desk staff were very accommodating both trips getting me the room type I wanted and helping me with anything that came up.

Location is good with a Shell station across from them and Safeway, restaurants and pubs close by too. If you are travelling with friends or family there is a pool and hot tub on the main level which they will enjoy for sure.

I will definitely go back this year. For a relaxing weekend getaway BW Plus Siding 29 is my best bet.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank heavygambler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Korean first
Ontario's Near North, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

I was able to check into this hotel at close to midnight, and received a room that was a free upgrade. They did not have the exact room I asked for so I received one with a HUGE hot tub in it instead! I am not one to complain with a view of the Rockies!

The pool was empty, and open late, so that made the stay that much sweeter, same for the breakfast! This hotel was the best deal in town!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank m0nal1sa
Katy, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

Overall we were very satisfied with the hotel and would stay there again.

My family and I stayed 5 nights in one room for a skiing week. The room with two queen beds was very good size and the beds had very good linens. Like others have said, the included breakfast was ample with eggs, sausage, waffles or pancakes, cereals, breads, muffins, fruit, juices and coffee. The breakfast room did fill up quickly at 7am on busy ski days. The underground parkade (love that Canadian word) was very convenient. The hotel is about a four block walk to the heart of Banff Avenue shopping and restaurants, so location is very good. The first night we stayed, there were at least three rooms close to us with dogs, so if the occasional bark or allergies are issues, ask for a room away from dogs. We never heard any barking during sleeping hours.

Knowing that Best Westerns can vary widely in quality, this was a very nice experience. I would compare the quality directly to a good Marriott Courtyard (only with breakfast included)

btw - our stay was also using points and a free night voucher, and the correct number of points were deducted. Also, from BW to Sunshine parking lot was less than 30 minute drive.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank DML0
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2011

A few friends and family rented 3 rooms on third floor for Friday and Saturday night. Hotel staff were very good getting all three rooms together. Room was spacious so we could have a gathering in our room of 8 people and not feel squished. Beds and pillows were great. Hotel is very close to main strip for shopping and restaurants. The price of the room included breakfast which consisted of scrabbled eggs and sausages, or waffles. You could also have cereal. Food was okay for buffet style. Food could have been hotter. We also ate at the Keg and the old Spaghetti Factory. Both of these were very good. I used Best Western points for this for a portion of the cost. When we booked on the Best Western Web site the confirmation page showed 24,000 points per night per room. When I checked out they charged me 31,000. I was not happy about getting dinged for an extra 21,000 points. I was told the manager would contact me but have not heard anything yet.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2011

this hotel is fairly close to downtown banff, 10 minute walk , really quite nice for the price, breakfast included. . we had a 3rd floor room facing the mountains. The staff always have a smile and pleased to assist.
Highly recommend, and I do not always say this.

Room Tip: 3rd floor back side faces mountains .
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Elsa T, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Siding 29 Lodge, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
Thank you for taking the time out to write such a good comments. Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback, this will serve as an inspiration to our staff to continue their efforts.
Hope you will come back and see us again soon.
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2011

A very nice BW a few blocks away from the main street. Free breakfast, Internet, coffee (in room and lobby) and underground parking - great value.

• Stayed November 2011
Elsa T, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Siding 29 Lodge, responded to this review, December 5, 2011
Thank you very much for your comment and hope you will stay again with us the next time you are in Banff. We look forward to your return.
Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2011

My husband ,myself and sister stayed here for one night and found it great. The front desk clerk was friendly, the rooms clean and the bathroom(which I am very fussy about) super clean with lots of towels etc. The only complaint I have was the breakfast. Everything that was to be hot was cold. There was lots food but it was cold . If staying in that area I would say you really have to eat at Bumpers. We would stay here again if we were in the area..

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family