“Best camping to stay in Banff”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Banff
Tunnel Mountain Village 1 Campground
Ranked #8 of 18 Specialty Lodging in Banff
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We travelled with two small children and a 25 ft RV. We had a fairly private space, a lot of space and trees. Elk roam around the camping.
Compared to Village 2 this camping offers beter sites.
Although it has a lot of sites, it doesn't feel like a massive place (as Village 2 and Trailer do)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 926Vincent

Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Let's start with the good; this is a huge campground with more than 600 sites that is very close to banff. Banff has become such a popular tourist destination that a hotel room is no longer an affordable option for me. My boyfriend and I stayed 3 nights in a tent and had a wonderful time in the Banff area. We were only in the campground after 9 pm most of the time. I would not recommend staying at the campground the whole time. Overall the things I enjoyed in this campground include: proximity to banff, hot showers, plugs in washrooms, unlimited firewood and the view of the mountains. There were, however, a few things that were bothersome
1) cleaning the toilets/ showers at 8:30 am is an inconveniece to people who wish to leave for a trip or for checkout.
2) separating rv's and tents could be nice. We were surrounded by rv's and felt out of place.
3) Lack of privacy was disppointing. With just a few trees around, we were very close to six other sites.
4) lack of hand soap in the toilets. There was hand sanitizer, but it's not the same.
Overall, I would stay there again to save money on accomodations.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank SillyMidget
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

When I registered Friday evening for a campsite, was given a spot above another with zero trees or privacy. Returned to the office and they gladly changed my spot. Park staff were really friendly. Awoke to elk at the campsite early the first morning. Shower was hot and good. Would recommend booking on an outer loop next time.

• Stayed: July 2013
5  Thank Chinookcindy
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This campsite was amazing and we had a room with a view. Set up our tent facing a mountain with snow on it. There were hardly any mosquitos and the campsites were spaced apart nicely. Washrooms were clean and our stay was perfect. It was so nice to wake up in the morning and stretch outside looking at the mountain. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Sophie h
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed one night at Tunnel Mountain Campground in Banff National Park, but I really do wish we stayed longer! We stayed at the most basic of the three sites, (I believe it was number one) but still had a great time. The park provides you with FREE firewood for your fire pit, the washrooms are clean with great showers, and the view is top notch. You crawl out of you tent and have the Rocky Mountains peaking all around you. We even had a visitor at our campsite when a giant Elk decided to stop in and see what we were cooking for dinner!
Spent the next night at Lake Louise campground, however, we definitely preferred Tunnel Mountain!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank zoallen
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I camped in Tunnel Mtn 1 for six nights at the beginning of August. It's much more developed than I'm used to. Generally it was clean, well maintained and comfortable. The view of mountains was great, and in loop C, the sites weren't overly close together. There were mosquitos, but that's just nature.

Most of the other campers for the first five nights seemed to be family groups. They were quiet and took pretty good care to keep their sites clean. Final night there was a group of noisy kids--to my amazement, despite the alcohol after 11 pm ban, it appeared that a taxi delivered them a supply of booze at 11. As noted elsewhere, there wasn't any onsite supervision. I think they were thrown out the next morning, but I was on the road that day.

Still, for the most part, the campground is very pleasant. I was tent camping, and thought the sites were quite fine for tenting.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Liz B
Reviewed August 1, 2012

This was our first visit to Banff and I had assumed that the campground would be along the lines of what you seen in many US National parks with so-so campsites, scarce and not that clean bathrooms etc...

We were really pleasantly surprised to find clean, well maintained campsites (we were in a tent) easy access to bathrooms which were not only clean but also had hot showers. I had made our reservation online through the Parks Canada website so check in was a breeze.

Would agree with some others comments about noise. The area we were in had lots of 5th wheels and it seemed like all of them were constantly running generators which would have been a bigger deal had we not been so tired from hiking all day. In any case the park rangers came around to remind people of quiet hours every night.

Location wise it's good, easy access to downtown Banff and the highway.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple