Buffalo Mountain Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
1,649 results
All reviewspremier roomhot tubclaw foot tubheated floorswood burning fireplacewedding venuestainless steelopen firereal fireplacemountain lodgeshuttle servicehuge bathroomromantic getawayour honeymoonfree shuttledowntown banffking bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I have travelled extensively for work and pleasure for the last 30 years and have never been more disappointed in a reservation than I was this past weekend at the Buffalo Mt Lodge. I made my reservation over the phone directly with the front desk and drove 12 hrs to Banff for a weekend in the mountains between Christmas and New Years. I chose this property after receiving several recommendations from friends and reviewing the website information and photos. Our room did not in any way even remotely resemble the photos on the website. Yes, we did have a fieldstone fireplace but that is where any resemblance ended. No claw foot tub, no heated tile floor, no balcony, no pine walls or ceilings, no comfy chairs in front of the fireplace, and it goes on and on. Our "one bedroom suite" was run down, dirty, and anything but cozy and comfortable. The carpet was worn out and heavily stained. The furniture was the same. My wife insisted that I cover the chair and couch with blankets before she would sit on either. The room (101) was an obvious purgatory for not quite ready for retirement furniture from other rooms throughout the resort. When I returned to the front desk to seek alternative accommodations I was told the property was sold out and there were no options for me. I was also told that should I leave, I had missed the cancellation deadline and I would be charged for the first night. Shortly afterwards I also discovered that there were no other accommodations available for the following night anywhere in Banff. I could walk and pay for a single night at the Buffalo Mt Lodge (the penalty for missing the cancellation deadline) and find new accommodations elsewhere for the first night and then drive 12 hrs home the next day, or simply stay which we chose to do. To make the situation even more difficult, the cleaning staff did not arrive the second day to clean the room until just before 5:00 pm. We were getting ready for a dinner reservation in town and declined the cleaning but did request several items for the room. We did receive matches and paper to start a fire but did not receive the clean towels or the replacement candle that we requested. We listened to every footstep and every conversation that the people in the room above had for two days and two nights and listened to their two dogs bark nonstop every minute that their owners left the room. Almost no sound barrier between the rooms.
Had I been told upfront on the telephone when I made my reservation that this room in no way resembled the accommodations described or depicted on the website, I could have made a choice as to whether I was willing to pay $309 per night plus tax for this property. I was not given that opportunity and was terribly disappointed upon our arrival and had almost no alternate options at that point. This property website in no way depicts the full resort. The friends that recommended this property were not aware of the older, run down section of the resort and we were completely unaware. We paid just shy of $700 for two nights, were terribly disappointed, and feel this property completely misrepresents itself. The rooms on the website may be worth the high prices charged but ours was not and in all of my travels, I have never felt so overcharged. Be sure that you ask and confirm which rooms you are assigned before you commit to this property. Beware!

Room Tip: Be sure that you confirm which room you are reserving. If you are expecting the room to look like those depicted in the website photos, be sure that you ask. They have two completely different sections and classes of rooms. Beware!
2  Thank rigger99
CRMRManagment, General Manager at Buffalo Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with Buffalo Mountain Lodge. I do apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We would like to discuss your recent stay with us, so please do contact us at bmlalm@crmr.com
Take care and warm regards,
Buffalo Mountain Lodge

Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed at the Buffalo Mountain Lodge over Christmas in a King Suite, pet friendly. I still think the rooms are in good shape, after years of use. Having a fireplace in the room is fantastic, the kitchen amenities were great to have. The decor is still 'mountain chic' - slate and stone. Beautiful quiet setting just outside the town.

We have vacationed here before, and it still is as enjoyable. This time we purchased the dinner and breakfast package at the Sleeping Buffalo. I will have to say the meals (especially Christmas dinner) were amazing. Superb food.

It was nice that the lodge had Christmas eve reception, with stories for the kids and Santa.

Will be back again. Nice also that they don't overcharge for pets in the room. $25 a day, which wasn't a big hit to a 2 day stay.

Room Tip: They do have some pet friendly rooms; call in advance.
1  Thank Rhonda H
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We have stayed here twice now in the last six months, experience was the same as last time. The staff are too young and inexperienced to care about their jobs, a common experience among Banff staff (most are snowboarders from Australia!). Brunch was a buffet and I've had better service at the 7-Eleven. Why do these places think they're a 5-star resort just because they charge more? Banff Springs would be cheaper and top notch service. Not going back.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Brianbott
Reviewed December 28, 2012

This CRMR property is in definite need of a physical upgrade and re-inspired staff. Just for point of reference I've stayed at several of the CRMR properties in Banff, Lake Louise and Field over a period of 15 years. I've come with a certain expectation of staying at the properties so my review will be a little harsh.

The rooms are getting very old and the physical structure of the cabins are showing signs of age. To say we could hear the people walking in the room above us is an understatement. We could tell when new people arrived simply by the difference in their foot falls. Although everything in the room worked, you notice things like a 1 way bulb in a 3 way socket. There was a plastic pan provided for muddy shoes in the closet space by the door, but it was dirtier than any pair of boots I've ever owned (it would take about 2 minutes to clean it). Rooms could also use refrigerators and better coffee makers.

The staff seems very uninspired. When we arrived we were not asked if we needed any assistance. The 1 time we went to the lounge for a drink (in the early evening) after a 10 minute wait I had to hunt down a manager to find out "if there was service being provided in the lounge that evening."

The internet wireless is of such marginal quality to be virtually worthless. I had 3 systems (Dell computer, iPad and iPhone) with me, none of which could connect reliably with the wireless system, so doubt it was my system at fault.

1  Thank Dean S
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Stayed at the Buffalo Mountain Lodge Dec 20th, 2012. It sure was cold outside, -20c on average. We had two Premier Rooms. Very quiet location, rustic, traditional, nice rooms.
Wood burrning fireplaces - different and traditional, but not very effective. As we knew the wood would not burn all night, we set the two thermostats to +23c. Woke up the next morning absolutely freezing. Obviously the thermostats do not work. Same in both rooms so not a one-off. Also not many matches in our rooms to light the fireplace!
Not enough coffee in the room, no cream either. They knew how many occupants in each room, but not enough glasses or mugs.
So nice hotel, nice location, poor heating, other little things failed.
By the way, I am a travel agent so always look at hotels to see if I would recommend to my clients - the Buffalo Mountain Lodge I would only recommend during the summer (in Alberta, July and August!). Felt the rates vere very high for what we got.

Room Tip: Views from upper floor rooms in the 1100 range are very impressive - however as our stay was during the winter, the stairs and walkways were a little slippery.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family