We have just returned from our Canadian vacation and our first top was the Buffalo Mountain Lodge in Banff. We booked a premier room with the king bathroom and we were not disappointed.
We arrived on Christmas eve and stayed here for ten nights so really got to test the place out. The main lodge with reception was inviting and staff welcoming. Our bags were taken up to the room while we were taken through the events of the festive period.
Our room was 912 and located at the far rear side of the lodge. The room itself was cosy and inviting and the fire was ready to be lit. The underfloor heating certainly works as the room was very warm.
A couple of the reviews on here have said the rooms are dark (as in lighting not bright enough), I would agree and I think wire halogen lighting would be the answer especially in the pitched roofs in the top premier rooms. The TV's are old school and could do with being updated to flat screens but we didn't use ours anyway.
The bathroom was great and plenty of space which came in handy for drying our wet ski gear and boots with the underfloor heating.
Breakfast at the Sleeping Buffalo didn't seem to be too popular and never busy. There was a buffet breakfast for $19 or you could choose from the menu which we did. The breakfast was good and exactly what you would expect, nothing too fancy.
Dinner at the sleeping Buffalo was the best food we had in town. We ate here twice one evening being the set New Years Eve dinner. The restaurant came highly recommended by a local friend and it certainly lived up to that. The food was amazing and the flat Iron steak was the best I had on this whole trip. The NYE dinner was just as good and again the food was superb, well worth the money. If you stay here make sure you eat here!
On New Years the hotel even left presents in the rooms for all guests, ours was the hotels cook book. We also got married while in Banff and the hotel left us a card and chocolates which was a nice touch.
We stored our skis in the ski locker which was a $50 deposit for return of the lock. It doesn't have a drying room but the underfloor heating in the bathroom does the job.
the hot tub was great and never too busy, the whole place is very well maintained and I would highly recommend staying here. If you are not driving its a good fifteen minute walk into town (uphill on the way back) or there is a bus which comes every forty five minutes (get a $5 day pass if you plan to use it more than once) This did get a bit tiresome carrying skis and then changing in town to the ski bus.
All in all this place is the perfect get away and nice and quiet away from town, the views are great and the people are so nice and friendly. A great place to stay in Banff and I would definitely go back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Buffalo Mountain Lodge is a peaceful retreat on Tunnel Mountain in Banff, AB. The lodge is surrounded by 9 acres of towering fir, pine, and spruce trees, yet just a 15 minute walk or 3 minute drive from the shopping, nightlife and restaurants that are on offer in downtown Banff. A favourite visitor pastime is to observe the deer and elk who frequently nibble on the lawn, right outside the lodge's windows. The lodge has 108 guest rooms, an outdoor hot tub, and several options for dining, making it the ideal location for a weekend getaway, wedding, or corporate retreat. Buffalo Mountain Lodge is part of the Canadian Rocky Mountain Resorts' family of companies. Rooms at the lodge have fieldstone wood-burning fireplaces, cozy duvets, LCD televisions and Blu-ray players. Many feature patios or balconies. Each room has been carefully decorated to reflect the mountain lifestyle in Banff-the accommodation is anything but 'cookie cutter.' The outdoor stainless steel hot tub is best enjoyed after an invigorating hike, bike or ski on one of the nearby trails-or perhaps to aid digestion after a sumptuous meal in the lodge's highly acclaimed restaurant, Sleeping Buffalo. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Cancelon, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Buffalo Mountain Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Buffalo Mountain Hotel Banff
- Buffalo Mountain Lodge Banff
- Buffulo Mountain Lodge