“Perfect for Banff on a budget!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of King Edward Hotel

King Edward Hotel
Ranked #32 of 33 Banff B&B and Inns
Lynton, United Kingdom
“Perfect for Banff on a budget!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

I stayed in March 2014 for two weeks and it was perfect for me! Cheapest hotel available and the location is unbeatable, right in the centre of Banff, a minute walk to the ski bus stop and right in the middle of all the shops, restaurants and bars. As others have said, the hotel isn't fancy, but the room was cleaned daily and had all the amenities which those on a budget really appreciate, eg, free wifi, a fridge in the room, microwave upstairs, flat screen tv, hairdryer, shampoos and shower gels.
I can't comment on the noise as others have done; as a young person on holiday in Banff I was probably causing the noise - but if you're spending your evenings in Banff inside the hotel then you're doing it wrong anyway!
The staff at reception were pleasant when checking in and out, and the only other time I came into contact with staff was to say that the wifi was down, and it was fixed instantly.
I would definitely stay here again, and would recommend this hotel to any traveler looking to make the most out of their time in Banff

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Nicola D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Polish first
Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

My boyfriend and I have stayed here several times. It's such a good place to stay! Great location (right on Banff Ave.) and supplies parking during your stay. It isn't fancy by any means but it has your basic needs! It is clean, has all the necessities and has all the pubs, restaurants and stores right out your doorstep! Definitely one of the cheapest hotels in Banff but definitely a great place to stay if you want to save a fews bucks on cabs and hotels!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jillian M
Sherwood Park, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

My wife and I stayed here and thinking the a hotel in the middle of Down Town Banff couldn't be all that bad but it was a bit disappointing. I am not picky at all. I don't care that there is no lobby and only a small front desk to check I and out of. I don't care that the rooms themselves are really small. I don't plan on spending time in my room doing much more than sleeping anyway. As my wife and I always do we check for bed bugs before we do anything. We didn't find any but did find it interesting the between the mattresses on both beds there were bug traps. We had a room with 2 twin beds. Super small but ok if you are a couple buddies travelling and just need a place to sleep between ski days. 1 bed was firm and the other one you could only say was worn out beyond its normal life cycle should be. You could just look at it and tell it was done as there was a large visible slope to the middle of the bed. The bathroom was good enough, out of date but clean. The fridge, coffee maker and TV all worked so no complaints there. As you can read on others posts this hotel is not very sound proof. You can hear everything happening in the rooms around you. Everything ! Again not anything that I can not handle.
The issue that brought my rating down to a poor was the fact that I had the worst sleep I have ever had in a hotel ever. Since the 1 little bed was worn out so bad I ended up sleeping on the other little bed with my wife. I can tell you it is way to small for 2 people to sleep on together. It was also warm in our room ( 26C ) all night with no help by lowering the temperature of the thermostat. I opened the window to cool down the room but since this hotel is in the best location in Banff it is also the busiest and with people all having a good time out on the streets below till late into the night it was loud. After the room cooled down I was up again to close the window. after a little while the room was hot again so I opened the window again. As you can see with this going on I was up all night just trying to get comfortable. You would think that being in this location that they could really make this place a great hotel but looks like they are just doing the minimum. It cost just over a hundred dollars for the night an I recommend that if you can handle what I have written then this is the place for you but if you want a bit more comfort spend the extra money and go to one of the many other hotels available in Banff. I know I will as I won’t be returning to this hotel again.

Room Tip: There is a nice hotel across the street that is much more comfortable for around the same amount.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
5 Thank Viajar_desde_Alberta

Travelers are raving about these Banff hotels

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

Perfect location in the heart of town, for a very reasonable price.

We stayed in a king bed room which was very comfortable with a nice clean bathroom, fridge and coffee machine.

Great service from everyone at the front desk and will definitely be staying here again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cobrasan
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

Had a double single-bed room over looking Banff Ave. Room isn't big but was simple and worked great! Wifi, hdtv with cable, 2nd floor of the building. The hotel was cheap and parking around the corner was free. I'll stay again!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Phulan
Sun Peaks, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Stayed hear at the end of our road trip through Canada. Was pleasantly surprised great room price, large room, clean, tidy and quiet. Most importantly fantastic location walking distance to all shops, restaurants and bars!! Front desk staff very accommodating and helpful. Very close proximity to shuttle bus's to mountain as well which is handy. Would defiantly recommend and stay hear again!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Seoul, South Korea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights and enjoyed totally.
Especially this is a little bit cheaper than other hotels.
I was a little surprised at the reception. It was so small that I thought it was rather a kiosk.
Getting earlier than check-in time, they kept my luggage. But there's no locker.

If you don't care of breakfast service, this is for you. I think that's the reason it's cheaper for its location. I had some choices to have breakfast around here. I recommend you Starbucks. Banff Ave on weekend or holiday night can prevent you sleeping. I stayed there.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo