“Helpful and friendly”

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Helpful and friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

I rented a Norco carbon road bike and the guys were all helpful and friendly. The bike was great and I would thoroughly recommend these guys to anyone. I did investigate a couple of other rental places during my stay in Banff but these were the best by far and they opened at 8.30AM giving me a full day on the bike to allow me a good ride up to Lake Louise and back plus the afternoon riding around Lake Minniwanka and Sulphur Mountain. Thanks guys it was a pleasure.

Visited June 2014

Apex, NC
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Friendly and knowledgeable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

We rented ice cleats one day and cross country skis a second day. The staff are courteous and efficient. They took the time to give us advice about trail access and difficulty. Even better, rentals are 1/2 off if you rent after 12 noon. A great option when trying a new activity!

Visited February 2014
Orillia, Canada
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Great shop staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

Rented a road bike for 2 hrs during my Banff stay and these guys were great!! Delt on the phone with Eddy who set up the reservation and in person at the shop with Tom who set up my pedals and adjusted the bike. They recommended some routes and a nice 6.5 km mountain climb to Mt Norquay for this ontario cyclist to savour!! Bike was a Norco Valence with 105 group, nice rental bike and very reasonable price. Would have like to have gone out longer but wife and conference could only allow the 2 hrs.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank CHIP G
Solihull, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tour bike review banff to Jasper”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

I came across to Canada fora Golden Wedding celebration and rented a Norco Cabot from Snowtips Bactrax on Sunday 9th Sept to complete a long held ambition to ride from Banff to Jasper, stopping on the way at hostels in Mosquito Creek and Beauty Creek.
I sent them my height and pedal preference and when I arrived the bike was perfectly set up, the panniers I ordered were fitted and in excellent condition along with the bike itself and the promised toolkit and spares.
The bike performed perfectly, was light and handled the rough conditions of the shoulder with ease, no punctures or anything coming loose.
I have nothing but praise for the staff the kit they hire and the good prices.
My one piece of advice to make life easier for people who wish to do as I did and ride one way is that they have a formal agreement with either Brewsters Bus company or a carrier to make returning the bike to Banff much easier, organising this took much more time and was more stressful than hiring the bike, booking the hostels and arranging transport back for myself combined.
Had it not been for the helpful staff at VIArail who sourced a box I'm not sure I could have accomplished this as Brewsters wouldn't carry the bike unboxed, couldn't sell me a box and none of the bikeshops in Jasper had a box as they had run out and wouldn't have any more until next year.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Tom H
Toronto, Canada
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Avoid renting bikes from Bactrax”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

My wife and I rented mountain bikes from Bactrax on Aug 6, 2013. My bike failed 20 min later on a paved road - after I rode over a small pothole the rear gear assembly fall off. Apparently, Norco mountain bikes have thin metal bracket (approx 3 mm wide) holding the rear gear and it is designed to break to prevent damage to the frame. I don't believe the shock from riding a 2" pothole is sufficient to break this bracket, so my only explanation is that it was already cracked from the previous rentals - nobody at Bactrax checks or even cleans the bikes after rental return - the bike I rented had dirt all over, but this was the only one left so I had no choice...

I left my wife near Fairmont golf course (where my bike broke) and rode over to the store on my wife's bike to get help. When the guy from the store finally arrived he told us that this part "breaks all the time" and it is "better to replace $5 bracket than $200 frame". We went to the store in the evening to pickup the paperwork and were told that we owe them for 2 hours of rental (1 hour each). We obviously expected an apology for faulty bikes, instead we were charged for rental time that we didn't (and couldn't) use - I was back at the store 30 min after departure. The manager told us that "we should be happy they didn't charge us 100s of dollars for bike repairs". Yet, he offered "free" bike rental the next day - I told him that I don't want to do anything with his store and will rent elsewhere. We rented next day at Ultimate Ski and Bikes and were very happy with bikes and customer service.

There are many bike rentals in Banff, so I strongly advise you to stay away from Bactrax, if their bikes fail on a paved road, just imagine how they'll behave on a real MB trail.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank MikeMS
snowtips, Manager at Snowtips-Bactrax, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
As I understand Mike your rental on August 6, 2013 at Bactrax has turned into a very unforunate situation. We apologize for the muddy bikes as we do wash them off and oil the chains at the start of each day - just sometimes during the day we get to busy to complete this task between rentals. I must also mention our bikes are regularly inspected and tuned by our 4 capable mechanics.

Our response has taken some time as we were away. After interviewing the staff involved here are our account of the situation.

We understand we had a call from you that your chain came off the bike and could we come fix it. Our staff member went with the proper equipment on a Moped to fix the chain and when he got there found there was more wrong with the bike. The derailleur hanger was broken because the rear derailleur had gone into the spokes which caused the chain to come off. Our staff member explained this - then you left on your friend's bike leaving him with the Moped and the broken bike. He then called another staff member to pick up the broken bike (which he left at the Banff Springs Golf Club house for safe keeping) and rode the Moped back to the shop to continue work.

By the time you came back in the shop he had left work for the day and another staff member had to deal with the situation. He did not know all the details of the rental, but when the rear derailleur & hanger are broken on a bike it is beacause the rider has been in the big front and big rear rings which causes the derailleur to go into the spokes and causes damage to the derailleur and hanger.

Considering you were only out 30 minutes for your rental you should not have been charged an hour rental - I was told you were out 45 minutes - either way if you call our shop (403) 762-8177 we will arrange a refund. Sorry for the inconvenience.