The Poplar Inn
$446
Official Hotel
Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa(Banff)(Great Value!)
$354
getaroom.com
$268
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe sliding glass doorgreat locationcomfortable kingother guestscold breakfasteach morningbreakfast roomprivate bathroomstayed here for nightsclose to downtownrooms are largedowntown banffminute walkexcellent staysusanaccommodationprivacy
Reviewed September 23, 2013

A haven of quaintness amidst the bustle of a beautiful touristy village in the Canadian Rockies. Breakfasts were delicious wholesome, and presentation lovely. Large bed makes the room snug, but in such amazing surroundings most of your time is spent outdoors. Susan was gracious with recommendations and insider tips for food and sight-seeing. We stayed 5 nights.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 31, 2013

When we stayed here, the owner was away and had left her friends in charge, Bev and Dale. Bev and Dale were very nice and helpful, they gave us ideas on places to eat and visit. I'm a fussy eater and on the second morning they were kind enough to accommodate my requests. The house is in a great location, moments from Banff Ave where all the restaurants and shops are. The rooms are large and beds comfy. There is a nice coffee bar and fridge which we found useful.

However when we arrived at 4pm no one was there to greet us and no number was left as a contact, and two notes were pinned to the door - neither addressed to us (!) it turns out there was a double booking and we were double booked with another couple who were yet to arrive. Everything turned out ok, the other couple ended up sleeping in the owners bedroom and we had our room, but we had to wait an hour for the hosts to return from dinner before we had any idea what was going on!

Hopefully this was a one off. We generally enjoyed our time here, however beware of the loud night time trains that can be heard from the house!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank I_love_luxury78
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Susan was helpful in providing information in when to go to areas such as Lake Louis, and offered other suggestions for places to go that we were not aware of.

Breakfast was good and the available kitchen/ lounge area was comfortable.

Room Tip: If you are on a tight budget, look at Canmore, it is outside the national park. See NP website for fees.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We just returned home and my first review has to be The Poplar Inn. We stayed two nights -- July 13 and 14. Susan is very professional, courteous, and accommodating. She is also open, honest, and friendly, engaging the guests whenever possible, yet leaving you to your privacy. We enjoyed our stay. The breakfasts were delicious and beautifully presented. My husband was coaxed to try the Muesli with delicious fresh berries and he loved it. The location is great, just on the edge of town and close to restaurants, shopping, etc. while being removed from the tourist scene. The views from her place are very pleasant. We were able to attend Mass at the church right next door. We would most definitely stay there again. The place was meticulous; the décor appealing to travelers and charming.

(I think the previous reviewer is just a little too demanding. I am a business owner and I know when I see "high maintenance". Surely you need to allow for people's humanness. The reviewer, I am sure, caught Susan in an off moment if, in fact, there is any truth to the comments. Susan is an experienced business person and it is quite obvious -- so I was surprised to see the nature of the previous review. Business owners have to deal with their own lives, stresses, and it was our experience that Susan bent over backwards to help solve a problem that arose. Her interpersonal skills are excellent. We did not know Susan before our stay but feel we could call on her for any advice, suggestions, etc. We felt she would be there for us if the need should arise.)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hildy1
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We are planning a trip to the Rockies for Christmas this year. I emailed the owner and very politely inquired as to wether there would be any rooms available at this time. I was looking forward to hearing back from her as most of the reviews on TA are very positive and the house looks really nice on the website. I found her response to be abrupt and unfriendly, so we will be booking elsewhere. People don't understand how much their attitude counts in customer service, but she clearly doesn't care that much or she wouldn't have responded that way. Even though the most recent reviews are positive, I'm glad I went back a few pages and found they negative ones - I think if we did stay at the Poplar Inn it could have been very hit or miss. When communicating with a potential guest in an email, it is polite to acknowledge the person by at least saying "hello", not just start writing. Other B&B owners have done this, and also finished their responses with "Kind Regards" or "Thankyou for your enquiry, feel free to email us at any time with your questions" etc. I am now happy I have found a B&B with owners who appear to be friendly.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank KatrinaKitty
TiggerBanffCanada, Owner at The Poplar Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

In this day and age everyone wants the answer as quickly as possible. That is why most people text.
I wondered how you rated the cleanliness of my place when you were never in the building? Susan