“A Different View Every Day of the Year”
Review of Sulphur Mountain

Sulphur Mountain
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Banff Gondola Ride Admission
More attraction details
Owner description: Hike or ride to the top of this scenic mountain.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The gondola ride is a spectacular way to quickly reach the views that will greet you at the top of the mountain, but the hike is even better because you get a great sense of accomplishment from the climb. Either way, you'll meet visitors from around the world.

Each day the panorama presents a different view of the world. (And everything appears to be miniature, from the Banff Springs Hotel to the wandering, emerald green Bow River.) I try to visit several times a year just to enjoy the scenery and fabulous opportunities for photography. Even the cloudy days offer fantastic views of the facing mountain peaks.

Be prepared for all weather. The conditions at the peak can vary drastically from the conditions in the parking lot at the base of the gondola. Sunglasses, sunscreen, comfortable walking shoes, and a jacket are a must.

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"great hike"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I took the gondola to the top of Sulphur Mountain and seeing it was repeatedly named as one of the top things to do in Banff.

I was surprised by the price, but thought the facilities at the top would justify the high ticket prices.

The day we went up was cloudy/rainy, so we decided to have a nice lunch in the restaurant to wait out some of the rain. I should have known to turn away when I was handed a cheaply printed paper menu. I could have made a nicer presentation on my home computer. The dinning options were very limited, and overpriced for the quality of what we got. I think we would have been better off in the cafeteria.

The hike to the main lookout was okay. Mostly just stairs, but they did a nice job making it look good. I was surprised that there wasn't anything else there though. You hike to an old weather research hit, then turn around.

I would recommend the hike to anyone, as the views are great. But it's not worth $80 for 2 to take the gondola.

1  Thank danielle-duperron
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Each time I've gone to Banff, I've visited the top of Sulphur Mountain, and will do it the next trip too. However, this is the first time I've been fit enough to hike up the mountain. I didn't mind the noise, and you can talk to the people in the gondolas as they go past if you're really friendly. I almost liked this better than Larch Valley since that hike is also mostly switchbacks, but you don't get a warm restaurant at the top. I didn't realize the back trail went to the Cave and Basin area. You could take the bus to the gondola terminal and then hike down to the Cave & Basin area where you could catch a bus to your next destination. The book I had said you'd need two cars, but I think you just need to use the bus system.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

It is a steep climb to the mountain, and not everyone's cup of tea. Most tourists would take the gondola both ways. We decided to take the hike to the top and marvel at each height of the hike. It is worth taking the hike as soon as you reach the top, a wonderful feeling to appreciate all the beauty surrounding the place.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

I have lost teach of how many times I have been up this mountain! Between hiking up and taking the gondola with visitors, it doesn't get old. If you're here in the summer and fall, I highly recommend hiking up. Depending on your activity level, it takes 2-4 hours. If you don't feel like hiking back down to save your knees, you can take the gondola down (usually) for a discounted price. Not that I have to say it, but you get amazing 360 views from the mountain that you wouldn't want to miss. If you have an extended stay in the Banff/Jasper parks area, you can save some money on two activities by buying a ticket that includes the Athabasca Glacier and the gondola! Don't take my word for it though. Do it yourself! :)