“Majestic, varied terrain, educational”
Review of Icefields Parkway

Icefields Parkway Sidecar Ride and Champagne Helicopter Flight
$179.70*
Athabasca Glacier Full-Day Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Scenic highway cutting through breathtakingly beautiful mountain passes.
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Other reviews say it all. We were lucky with warm, very clear September weather. The drive has multipple opportunities to stop, picnic, take photos-we went to Athabasca Falls and walked around a bit and made worthwhile stops at the Saskatchewan River Crossing overlook and at Bow Lake. A guide back in Jasper told us she'd recently ridden her bike on the trail leading out of the falls and seen both grizzly and black bears. We almost did not take the ice tour at the Centre but are happy we did. Getting on the ice field, learning about the geology, weather and natural (and unnatural) progression/regression of the glaciers while among them was worth the visit.

1  Thank notpassive
Write a ReviewReviews (1,433)

Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

could drive up and down all year. every day is different and so much to see. The distance of the drive gets shorter each time. There are so many stops you cant go wrong.
Try not coming back

1  Thank 9liz
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Well known as one of the most scenic drives on the planet, we were really looking forward to this drive. We did it in both north and south directions. I thought the return journey would not be as good, but it does feel different when done in both directions. Both times the weather was quite cloudy, so not perfect for photos, but it still made the place quite eery, as the clouds cast shadows on the mountains and valleys.

The Parkway has got it all. Mountains, glaciers, lakes, rivers, falls, canyons, trees, wildlife - everything. A black wolf gently trotted past our car at one stage. Nature at it's most pure.

I was constantly mesmerised by the stunning scenery. There are wonderful vistas at every turn. Just when you think you have seen the best part, it delivers something better again and again

How some reviewers can score this as average is totally beyond me. Everyone should do this drive in their lifetime - in fact it should be compulsory. Simple words cannot desrcibe the beauty of this place. What a fab way to start our 3 1/2 week holiday.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

This is one of my favourite drives EVER. I have done this drive and stopped at all the stops, taken at least a thousand pictures and yet my heart still skips a beat each and every time.

Crowfoot Glacier, Num Tah Ja Lodge, Peyto Lake, Mistaya Canyon, Weeping Wall, and The Icefield Interpretive Centre... From Banff this drive one way is about 3hrs to the Interpretive Centre. But I would give yourself at least 10 - 12 hours if you want to do the round trip. You will want to stop a million times and take a million pictures.

My favourite stop along the way is Mistaya Canyon, because so many people miss it. I do prefer to do the stops on the way up rather than the way back...So that I am not in a rush at each one. That way you can spend as little or as long as you want at the Icefields themselves and then head back...or continue on to Jasper if you like.

The Icefields Tour is worth the cost. You don't have to reserve a time...the buses run every 15min in peak period. Walking on the glacier can take you back in time...when you think how long it has been there. It is fun for the whole family. And the guides are some of the funniest people I have met...and even though they probably say the same joke a thousand times, they usually make it seem like it is the first...

If you are in the area...this is a MUST DO for sure.

1  Thank maggiemaeCanada
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Incredible road, with fantastic views for miles and miles. A must do drive if you are anywhere nearby. Banff to Jasper great experience....