“I'm not much of a skier...”
Review of Sunshine Village

Sunshine Village
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Sunshine Village sits high on the Continental Divide in the heart of Banff National Park, and is just minutes from the mountain town of Banff. Three sprawling mountains provide breathtaking sitelines, uninterrupted by any signs of civilization beyond the resort's leasehold. Ski or ride in Alberta and British Columbia in one run. Sunshine Village's seven-month season stretches from early November until late May - the longest non-glacial season in Canada. The Village's altitude of 7,082 feet ensures the snow stays dry. Sunshine can receive up to nine metres (30 feet) of snow in a season, and it stays all year.
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

I've tried it a few times in Colorado, thought I was at least a beginner but didn't feel that way after going down the first slope! Regardless of my expertise, it was amazing to say the least. We were the first ones out on St. Patrick's day and fresh powder is something in itself. My husband enjoyed it more as he is better than me but I enjoyed drinking green beer ($19 US pitcher of Coors Light...OUCH!). What I enjoyed most was skiing all the way down to the parking lot and taking the gondola back up, did that twice and found it was the easiest ride for me. Pretty embarrassing when you have 5 year olds skiing better than you...guess that's what happens when you live in Florida!

1  Thank Melanie P
in 21 reviews
"early season"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed June 7, 2013

We are intermediate skiiers and thoroughly enjoyed our three days skiing at Sunshine Village. We had a variety of weather conditions (from whiteout to blue dome days) and no matter what the weather there was always somewhere at Sunshine you could rereat to and continue skiing.

Positives:
Parking was easy, the lot was flat and if you couldn't park near the lift there was a shuttle bus.
Gondola from the base was efficient, fast and warm when it freezing cold outside.
Lots of different lifts/areas, with clear markings for beginners, intermediates or experts.
Uncrowded slopes and minimal lift lines - even on a busy weekend.
The Homeward Run back down to the carpark was great fun - not just a boring cat track like at some fields.

Negatives:
Parts of the field are quite flat, so if you don't like pushing it may not be the field for you.
The lift system was a bit tricky to work out initially, as the trail map doesn't clearly show uphills & downhills, meaning you might not be able to get to a particular lift if you don;t take exactly the right trail

Overall an awesome skiing experience & I'd go back in a flash!

2  Thank MincePye
Reviewed May 30, 2013

This is where I learned to ski. Over the years they have continued to upgrade the lift system...only down side is the Parking. On busy weekends or holidays I recommend going early or you could be hiking in. Although they do have little tractors with wagons that will pick up up and bring you in to the Base. They mark their runs really well - which is great for the beginner skier.

During the Spring they have concerts on the weekend. A real blast.

1  Thank cdntravgrl
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Bring your avalanche gear and do the dive double diamond! Also, find the back country that is off to the right after the Strawberry Express lift I think it was.