“Fantastic great value home cooked food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Pointer Inn

Pointer Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Newchurch
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Drinks, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A warm welcome awaits at The Pointer, where Landlord and Lady, Rob and Rachel, invite you to join them in one of the Islands oldest, most historic pubs.
Southampton
“Fantastic great value home cooked food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Amazing value sunday roasts, all three meats on one plate for the same price is a real treat with lots of home cooked veg! Awesome deserts so make sure you keep room for those!- the pavalova is my favourite! Brilliant friendly service and a very reasonable price :-)

Guernsey, United Kingdom
“Good pub food for hungry walkers!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Visiting the IOW for the day, we walked the Yar River trail from Sandown to Godshill. We identified Newchurch and the Pointer Inn as being a suitable lunch stop as it was only a short way off our path. We were pleased to see on the door that walkers ( even with muddy boots!) we're welcome. We're both seniors and didn't want too heavy a meal as we had to be capable of completing the remainder of the walk to Godshill after lunch. We both chose lamb pie from the 'Lite Bites' menu, washed down with Long Man beer, which is very good.The pies were cooked to perfection with lovely short crust pastry, obviously home made (not those puff pastry 'hats' you so often get). The selection of fresh seasonal veg, served with the pies, was cooked for the right length of time, neither too long nor too al dente. We wished we could manage some deserts, which looked delicious but we had to continue on our way. We would definitely recommend this pub to others and hope to return one day.

“You will not regret visiting this gem of a pub with great food. Friendly and generous portions.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Arriving at 6.15 on a Monday night, you'd think would have been easy to fit us in. My party of three hasn't booked, but every table was reserved. We knew we had found somewhere a bit special. We were shown a table which we had to vacate by 7.30, that seemed fair.
We ordered the crab cakes to share for a starter. The local Bembridge crab was delicious with a spicy heat.

For mains, we ordered something different. Mine was the belly pork which was absolutely fantastic. The crackled light crispy layer was cooked to perfection. I was tempted by the Newchurch lamb pie, but was able to sample from my friends. I shall have to go back again to try my own portion. The third meal was the salmon wrapped in Parma ham with pui lentils.
We will definately visit again, my friends have lived on Isle of Wight for 4 years and not found this place, for me I shall come back on my next visit.
Gourmet food at such great value is hard to come by, you will not be disappointed.

Newbury
“10 out of 10 points for The Pointer!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

You are hungry so why go anywhere else......The Pointer Inn will always have something to satisfy your appetite on the menu. I had my "usual" Newchurch Pie and was not disappointed. I have been to the Pointer 6 or 7 times now and can see why it is so popular the staff are great, efficient and freindly. The prices are fair and the food is fantastic, many dishes use locally sourced produce, meat etc etc and is all cooked fresh to order.....and cooked to perfection!! I look forward to my next visit and when I phone to book I know what I will be ordering :)

Visited February 2013
Ryde, United Kingdom
“Our second visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

This second visit was everything we expected and more. On our first visit we had already had lunch, but when we saw the food that was on offer we decided we definitely had to make a return visit, which we did today (one week later), and it surpassed all our expectations. The food was impeccable... the hubs had the mariners pie which so impressed him that he let me sample it and I totally felt the same way. My dish was a light serving of Caeser's salad topped with a poached egg in breadcrumbs... truly delicious. The tomato soup was obviously made with real tomatoes and accompanied by the best seeded bread ever, The HSB and London Pride beers were faultless as was the Pinot Grigio, not to mention the coffee! The staff were welcoming and friendly without being over the top and kept the log burner going strong, which was a good thing as it was a very cold day. (It was snowing when we left!). We missed seeing the pub dog on this visit though. Hopefully he will show himself next time.

• Visited February 2013