“An exquisite gem”

Ranked #1 of 14 Restaurants in Velez Rubio
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: BOOKINGS ONLY. To avoid disappointment please calls us in advance. Restaurant and Spacious Accommodation set in Rural Almeria. Run by former London head chef. Serves international classical cuisine.
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We were a party of seven art group 'girls' on our annual away-day and we could not have chosen a more successful venue! Some of us had been to Casa Joya many times and have never been disappointed - the new comers are now converts! From our arrival mid afternoon, with drinks around the pool whilst soaking up the magnificent Andaluz mountain views all around us, to the sumptuous dinner invented, cooked and presented by James from his extensive menu of all 3 courses, to the friendly but unobtrusive chat with Mary and the delightfully decorated rooms with very comfortable beds ..... what more could we wish for? There was very little painting done I'm afraid!
But you have to experience Casa Joya to appreciate why it is such a special place.

1  Thank John G

Reviewed July 3, 2014

I have a meal at this restaurant every time I visit my mother who lives in Spain, a bit of a drive up a twisty mountain road, but the food, location and friendly welcome more than make up for this. The food is cooked fresh to order, very well presented. Stunning views across the countryside.
Would recommend this to anyone staying in the area.
A set price menu that is great value for money.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

Returned to this Restaurant again in June 2014.

As usual the atmosphere was very friendly, service with a smile, and the chef happy to adapt his dishes to accommodate both a gluten and onion free diet. The choice of food on the menu was exceptional, even by their own high standards. We were spoilt for choice.

All the food ordered by our group of 4 was delicious, and portion sizes perfect. The octopus in particular deserves mention.

Its well worth the trip down the rambla road to this lovely spot. We will be back next time we are in this area

Reviewed May 13, 2014

We travelled from the UK to Spain at the weekend to have Sunday lunch at one of the best restaurants I have ever eaten in! Our friends who live an hours drive away had visited Casa Joya a few times before and insisted on taking us and we are so grateful to them for introducing us to Casa Joya. The drive up from the main road can be a bit scary but well worth it when you arrive. The view is spectacular and was enjoyed whilst having a drink on the sheltered patio overlooking a magnificent fragrant garden. The Restaurant is decorated with a wonderful mix of African, British and Spanish culture and the menu was far more extensive than I was expecting. The food was amazing and each course was tastier than the last. For my main course I chose the saddle of lamb and explained to Mary how I wanted it cooked - medium but no blood - and it came exactly as I had ordered it. Every mouthful was an explosion of taste with each course. My partner had the peppered steak and commented on it being one of the best steaks he had ever eaten. The wine was so delicious we had to order another bottle! For the standard of the food and the ambiance we felt the meal and wine were reasonably priced. Like previous reviews - don't go here if you are in a hurry as it needs the three hours we were there to soak up the atmosphere and enjoy such a wonderful relaxing meal. I can't wait to go back again - well worth the 2,000 mile round trip! Thank you to Mary and James (owners) and our friends for an experience I shall not forget in a long time.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

After having a dicussion with an elderly gentleman, who had lived in the area for a number of years and who clearly new, the very best places to eat locally. I was intrigued by the high regard and praise he had for this special restaurant, set in a remote valley up in the hills outside Huercal Overa. On discovering that I had just become a home owner myself, and I was not just a holiday maker, his attitude changed and he refused to divulge anymore information on the name or whereabouts of the place. His reasoning being, the less local residents who new about it, the better, as it would improve his chances when making a reservation. I went away and asked alot of other friends locally if they had heard of this restaurant, none had. I read the local papers looking for clues and looked on the internet, nothing!. Finally seven years after first hearing of this restaurant, by pure chance, I came across a blog from a lady who lives in the area, she also mentioned, that she always visits this fantastic restaurant up in the hills around velez Rubio and who like the gentleman before, was not going to tell people what it was called or where it was. From the extra clues in her blog, I was finally able to narrow it down to Casa Joya. I eagerly made a reservation for a Friday evening, I was not to be disappointed as the setting was superb, the owners were very welcoming and the food was excellent. By far the best in the area. I will definately be going again soon. Only now can I fully appreciate why these people want to keep it for themselves, it`s a little gem.