“Reasonable Mexican, nothing special though”
Review of Tequila's on Main

Tequila's on Main
Ranked #39 of 43 Restaurants in Rouse Hill
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Sydney, Australia
“Reasonable Mexican, nothing special though”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Two of us went here for dinner on a Sunday evening. The place was packed, which was a good sign. I had nachos and the price was pretty good but I noticed that some other menu items were expensive - dips were as or more expensive than the nachos!
The nachos came out to our table in record time, no more than 4 minutes, which gave me the impression it had been almost completely pre-prepared. Overall, though the portion was a good size it was pretty tasteless. The cheese was plastic and the ground beef was beef in texture only.
Another thing that struck me was a comment from our table host (don't want to specify anything about the person). When I mentioned it was great to see the place so busy (with previous poor reviews swimming around in my head) the table host replied with something along the lines of 'yeah, not for us though'. I was at once intrigued, shocked and saddened to hear such a blase response from an employee.
My overall impression was that you could get tastier food for a cheaper price at Mad Mex, and that the rent must be pretty high at Rouse Hill. I can't say I'll be rushing back, which is a shame, because Tequila's could be so much more.

• Visited February 2013

Sydney
“Yummy!”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We drop by Tequila's whenever we are at Rouse Hill. The food is always yummy, hot and fresh.

It is quite expensive for what you get, and the cocktails could be cheaper as it's not a luxurious city venue!

• Visited January 2013
“Worst Restaurant Yet”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Christmas Eve and we wanted a nice and easy dinner out before mass. Thai Splendid and Sushi Bay were closed so we crossed Main street where restos were open. Nando's was tempting but Tequila's was something we had never tried before and it seemed to be popular. Really should've stuck with Nando's.

Shoulda, coulda...that kicked in the second we put our order in. This place was confused. For a Mexican restaurant, the menu wasn't right. The decor was more Spanish than Mexican even with splashings of Italian. The music was 80s top 40. I was waiting for Casey Kasem to pipe up. Everything was wrong and I wanted to cancel our order and walk outta there. Well, the kids were settled so I thought I'd take the hit and not ruin Christmas Eve for everyone. So, I took the hit.

The food came. The flour tortillas of my Flautas were nice. Only thing is they put guacamole all over it and the crispiness became sogginess quickly. Fillings...neh. Tacos were well below par. Buffalo Wings had sweet chilli sauce...sweet chilli sauce! Frozen buffalo wings in Coles was heaps better! Can you imagine that? Kids loved the fajita bread which they just filled with cheese and chips. I have truly had tuck-shop food better than this. Sausage sizzle at Bunnings was better than this by a mile!

I kept thinking this is exactly the kind of restaurant that Gordon Ramsay needed to rescue. As we were leaving, I couldn't believe the plaques for awards they got from Restaurant & Catering NSW/ACT and Savour Australia. Seriously? These reviewers must have tongue rash or something. Mad Mex at Blacktown is so much better than this and that like a fast food joint. Hell, Taco Bell is so much better than this.

We told our friends and they relayed their own terrible experiences. It remains popular though which makes me think it's because many Aussies just don't know any better. That or they're just there for the booze and to look cool hanging out in a "Mexican" restaurant at a good location. People, look at their cooks...not a single Mexican in there.

I've tried it. It's crap. I've paid the price. Now you know, you don't have to.

• Visited December 2012
Sydney, Australia
“Good restaurant, pleasant for couples”
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Better to sit inside as outside has traffic constantly going past and there are always smokers outside. Good food but noisy if lots of children.

“A bit dissapointing”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

The service was not good but the food was ok as long as you like Mexican, some of the meals were really hot!

Visited September 2012