“real ale heaven & good food”

The Old Poets' Corner Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 6 Restaurants in Ashover
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 28, 2013

been a number of times & always find the staff very friendly & welcoming. Great choice of real ales & ciders. Never had any problems with the food always a varying menu. They used to do twice cooked chips< absolutley wonderful but for some reason I think theyve switched to oven chips, shame. we visit that area a lot & will definately keep using the poets

Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Called in on 18/2/13 was not very busy but i was hungry so decided to order a lamb hot pot it sounded nice and after several mins of waiting was told they had run out.. tried ordering a child's meal and was told they didn't do them so the choice was a sandwich which was already pre maid in a small fridge.. won't be returning

1  Thank garyspen
Reviewed January 24, 2013

friendlyand welcoming with a great choice of beer and wine it can be difficult to decide! Comfortable and welcoming. Just a great place!

Reviewed January 20, 2013

As usual the Sunday carvery today was delicious (veggie nut roast too with veggie stuffing and gravy available for myself), varied and hot, and the selection of ciders, wines and beers were most impressive for my husband and myself. The proprietor, staff and the customers also are very pleasant, friendly and the staff are always very helpful and hardworking. A very cosy and inviting pub to visit with the roaring fire if only for a drink.

We are getting very excited to spending our first BURNS night there on the 25th January. They are even arranging for veggie haggis to go onto the menu, accompanied with a delicious Chocolate, Whiskey and Orange pudding with choccy sauce, WOW!!

I paid a visit a few years for the Ashover Show and being a lady on my own I was welcomed with 'Open Arms' with my table reserved with a much awaited tasty lunch to get out of the cold wet rain!

I don't think you would ever have the experience of a 'bad visit' here.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

As a beer drinker and pub lover of many years standing, if I was asked to name the best pub that I had ever visited, my response would be 'The Old Poets Corner'. Everything that a pub should be without crossing the border into theme pub territory!, genuine, welcoming, great beer selection, good 'proper' food and on some nights live music. What more could you need? I have not had a reason to stay in the accommodation yet but I will invent one soon enough. Visit soon while places like this still exist.