“Bad food and poor service”
Review of The White Lion

The White Lion
Cuisines: British
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Food was microwaved and badly presented. They even brought me what I hadn't ordered. Service was poor - tables dirty. We couldn't wait to leave.

2  Thank Jim G
There are newer reviews for The White Lion

Reviewed June 14, 2013

There was nothing that we disliked at all. My husband has several food allergies and the staff , not least the chef, went out of their way to give him both appetising and 'safe' meals. Having phoned first, when we arrived they had printed out a menu especially for him. It was a cold and wet evening and we were thrilled to be sitting in front of an open fire. We were so impressed with the entire experience that we had dinner again at the end of our week

1  Thank montmort
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Staying with friends in Bakewell who we took to the White Lion on their recommendation. Restaurant was full but did not feel overcrowded. Service was really friendly and perfectly timed. Food was a mixed bag. Two of us ate pork belly with bread pudding an this was delicious. However the haddock and chips was poor. The lemon posset was undistinguished but the pavlova very well presented Abdul delicious. Will visit again next time we are in Bakewell.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

This was my 2nd visit to the White Lion and I know it won't be the last. Libby & Chris create an extremely warm and welcoming atmosphere. They offer an excellent menu and wine list - all very reasonably priced. After enjoying a pint in the sunshine at the front of the pub, I opted for the sunday lunch (beef - superb as usual!). However, I could have easily been swayed by any of the other mains available. I followed this up with by a superb cheese board with homemade chutney. Wonderful!

It's an understated pub - they offer food and ale far beyond what they say on their website. You really have to go along and sample it for yourself.

I went with 10 friends and I know we will all be back at some point in the future. Put simply, it's a great pub with a lovely atmosphere in a beautiful part of the world!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We are constantly impressed with this place. We arrived to find they now have a Gluten free menu, previous visits they have kindly adapted each dish for us, but the new menu made us feel more normal and even included fish and chips!! We had the prawn and crayfish starter - gorgeous and the gammon (very tasty) and fish and chips (the small was a very good size indeed!). Great house red wine and fantastic service even tough they had a group of 21 people in at the same time! Also it's very comfortable in here compared to smaller local pubs where you can feel squashed in on poor chairs. We love it, keep it up White Lion!