The Shoulder at Hardstoft
Twin Oaks Hotel(Palterton)
$93
$84
$145
Premier Inn Mansfield Hotel(South Normanton)(Great Value!)
$65
PremierInn.com
The Derbyshire Derby(South Normanton)
$78
Travelodge Mansfield Hotel(Sutton in Ashfield)
$50
$44
$208
$174
The Portland Hotel(Chesterfield)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
All reviewssteak and ale piehardwick halllovely servicenew cheflovely eveningportion sizesunday carverystaff were superbonion ringsselection of beersmain courseno hesitation in recommendingrooms are lovelyan evening mealsea bassfood was fantasticcooked to perfection
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 13, 2012

We haven't been here for a meal for a few months apart from visiting for the odd drink so we decided to go again after enjoying the last meal back in January. I have read some of the more recent negative reviews and I have to say I disagree with them whole-heartedly. We were greeted with a smile and shown straight to our table. The menu is in the process of being changed but there was a good selection available.

The starters we chose were presented wonderfully and the tastes were superb. The main course which followed was also up to an excellent standard. Although there doesn't seem like there is a lot on the plates they are suprisingly filling and I am no stick man :)

We had a lovely evening there and would certainly recommend it. Our Waitress that started serving us was very pleasent and cheery and later our table was cleared by a guy that works behind the bar and he was also very nice and cheerful.

They are serving a Strawberry beer at the moment and it is amazing.

We cannot say a bad word about this place. Give it a try, we're glad we did.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tony_and_Kay
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We dined here last week with a few friends and really cannot fault it.

The girl serving us was very attentive, the sofas where we had a drink to start off with were that comfortable we could of stayed there all night, the food was TO DIE FOR!!! The selection of beers were interesting and very good and we loved the wines!

The only thing I could say about this place is it could do with being a little busier, I can understand it is slightly out the way, but it really is worth the trip! A taxi for us wasn't that much or stop in the hotel!

Very pleased with our experience here

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Geoff B
Reviewed April 24, 2012

We stayed here for my girlfriend's birthday after visiting nearby Hardwick Hall.

The food was excellent. There was a good choice, and some very innovative dishes. The 12 hour pork that some reviewers have mentioned is now 36 hour pork and was so tender I could have eaten it with just a spoon. Some of the best pork I have ever tasted. My girlfriend loved her salmon too.

Given the standard of the food, it was surprising that there weren't many people in for a Saturday night (only us and two other tables), and that meant it had quite a subdued atmosphere. That would be my only criticism though. The staff were friendly and the bar had a good selection of ales.

We stayed in one of the rooms which was very comfortable. We weren't disturbed at all by the drinkers downstairs, as some reviewers have said.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChappyO
Reviewed April 10, 2012

A friend took me and my husband here one Sunday afternoon, it was a lovely march day and we sat outside on the front, we arrived just before 4pm which was as they were closing the kitchen but they said they'd do out meal for us!
We all ordered the burgers which were delicious, the burger itself was lovely and homemade and the bread cob it was in was also homemade! It was served with homemade chips, onion rings and tomato ketchup which I asked to not have as I don't like ketchup, big mistake it was nothing like Heinz ketchup it was delicious! I had it on my 2nd visit there!
Service was good, would recommend!

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Lily1212
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Obviously looking at the reviews something has gone wrong with this place this year. We visited it towards the end of last year (2011) and it was ok but not the best. We gave it another try this last week as we just thought that on or previous visit maybe it was an "off night"
Anyway we found the service to be very poor and the food was ok but nothing fantastic. The portions were a little small for us and the party on the next table.
It's a shame because the place looks really nice, apart from some naff photos of bottles of wine that a three yr old myst have taken, on the diningroom walls.
I don't think we will go again for further family parties as the price of the food is expensive taking into account the above, poor service, portion size.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family