“I LIKED THIS PLACE!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hardstoft
The Famous Shoulder
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hardstoft
Brighton, United Kingdom
“I LIKED THIS PLACE!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2011

As one of my first experiences in british country side I expected this place to be really "basic", but I was wrong, the staff is amazing, you can tell they really do their best to give you a good service.
I'm not too crazy about the location, but if this is your area, or your passing by, it sure worth the visit.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

We came here for a Sunday dinner, after being recommended by friends about the reasonable priced menu, but were pleasantly surprised about the quality of the food.
The staff were brilliant, they were attentive, made sure we had everything we needed without being over bearing.
I will be making this my regular Sunday dinner hotspot, and will being recommending it to all my frineds and anyone who is a fan of quality food and top notch service

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

We recently visited to celebrate a birthday with friends. Unfortunately the services was unacceptable and the food served sparce and cold for the price being paid. Overall we felt we paid far too much for far too little and would definitely not rush back or recommend

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jane S
Ashover
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2011

I recently held my retirement celebration at the Shoulder which I have visited over many years. Simon, the owner was very helpful in the planning of the evening and once we had negotiated the pricing of the evening (£400 for the room and £200 for the disco seemed a little excessive), we looked forward to a lovely evening. We booked a buffet (£18.50 a head) for 50 people and paid for the whole occasion up front as requested to do. The room was well decorated, the disco was fine (if a little uninspiring) and the food was excellent and plentiful. What spoiled the evening for me was the adamant refusal of Simon to permit me to take home the uneaten food, of which there was a considerable amount. His justification for this was 'health and safety'! "If you take the food home and someone gets food poisoning you may sue me". Complete nonsense! It could be made quite clear to me that once the food left the premises then it became my responsibility. To make matters even worse, Simon and his staff came and removed the remaining food back to the kitchen without any discussion. As I had paid nearly £1000 for this food, I find this attitude totally unacceptable and possibly illegal. I have 2 dogs who would have been only too pleased to eat the remaining food and to see the food simply thrown away is obscene. So if you are planning a buffet at the Shoulder, check what will happen to the remaining food. Otherwise, a good time was had by all.

Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank KeithJH
essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

A charming pub handy for all the attractions of Derbyshire and just near Hardwick Hall.
We paid £65 for a room with huge breakfast and treated ourselves in the excellent restaurant for supper. Delightful beaming young staff and everything spotless. A real find.

Room Tip: We had room no 1 which was at the front and had some traffic noise, it did not disturb us but maybe...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Oxford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

We stayed here whilst visiting family nearby. What agreat find.
We have a 4 month old baby and since there were other families with young kids staying I didn't feel too woried that we might disturb too many people if the baby cried at night.
The room was nice. It had an old pub feel but with upto date decor. Although I don't think anyone had hoovered under the bed for a week or so as there was confetti there.
Very comfy bed. Clean bathroom.
We were able to put the baby to bad and then sit downstairs wih th ebaby monitor on. The staff went out of their way to find a plug for it as it ran out of batteries....they even offered to move furniture around..
All the staff were amazing. The food in the restaurant was beautifully presented and very tasty. The menu was interesting and seasonal, and when we needed to put the baby to bed after the starter they paused our meal untiil we said we were ready for our mains.
We will definately stay there again.

Room Tip: we had room 1. Which had two outside walls and no other rooms next to it. Just what we wanted with a...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ZoeandJames
Derbyshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2011

We had our wedding reception here on 20th May and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone else. Having only 40 day guest and about 100 at night we didn't want a big hall but somewhere with more character and this place is perfect. During the planning over the last year Simon and Suzie have been very accomodating and nothing was too much effort. The best thing about this place is the food and I can honestly say just about every guest complimented it with a large number saying it was the best they had ever had. The staff were all a good laugh and extremly helpful. Rooms are all very clean and comfortable. All the little extras that Simon and the team did really went above what was expected and made our day really special.
My parents came down from Scotland so stayed here for a couple of nights and enjoyed a meal in the restaurant the night after our wedding. They again said the food was amazing and that the staff were very patient with a family member who has lots of dietary issues. If you want a beautiful meal with amazing food and lovely service in beautiful surroundings this is the place to be.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wench111
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hardstoft
Twin Oaks Hotel
#4 of 15 in Chesterfield
Premier Inn Mansfield Hotel
Premier Inn Mansfield Hotel
#1 of 2 in South Normanton

Been to The Famous Shoulder? Share your experiences!