“Great pub with terrific rooms!”
Review of Pack Horse Inn

Pack Horse Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 New Mills B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

We enjoyed an overnight stay here in a fabulous room. So many nice little extra touches like quality toiletries, iPod docking station, fresh fruit basket and air conditioning and spotlessly clean. There is a really pretty outside beer garden, immaculaty presented and of a good size, the rain prevented us from getting out there on this trip, maybe next time! The bar is very traditional in appearance. Open log fires & lots of brasses. Not quite to our taste but there is nothing wrong with it. Food comes in very generous portions and is so reasonably priced! Really loved the plaice goujons though the sauce with the salmon pasta was, in my opinion, far too sweet & bland. A little disappointed that the bar and evening restaurant menu are one and same, especially when you are dining for lunch and dinner. However, the food was good and as I say amazing value for money, a 10oz steak with all the trimmings for less than £15!! And you MUST try it with the Stilton sauce, sublime! Staff are very friendly & welcoming. All in all a great place, can't wait to come back in Spring & Summer!

• Stayed: November 2012

Reviewed November 10, 2012

I'm currently enjoying a 2-night stay at this lovely pub: it's so good I wish I was staying a week I cannot fault this excellent pub - staff, food, room, location all excellent. The great breakfast has set me up for a 6-mile walk next.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank LancashireRoothie
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed in the Pack Horse Inn recently with my daughter who is at University in Manchester. Normally I stay in the City Centre when I visit her however we decided to stay in the Peaks and enjoy some scenery. Gald we did I would definately stay here again. Extremely clean, nice decor and friendly staff. Good pub grub.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stayed here for one night en route to Buxton with our 3 year old and were greeted with wonderful service, a spotlessly clean and spacious room with a double and single bed, lovely linens, a great range of tea/coffee, water and even fruit/sweets on arrival. There is a cosy bar area with log fire as well as a restaurant. We dined in the bar where food is served all day Fri-Sun, the food and ale was top notch. The staff were so friendly and helpful, nothing was a bother and they even posted a couple of items which we accidentally left in the room. We would highly recommend the inn and would love to return in the summer to enjoy the beautiful gardens surrounding the inn.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Stopped here on Sunday afternoon for a walk and ordered a scone and 2 lattes. The scone arrived piping hot and bursting with fruit, as well as a decent portion of jam and cream. It was all rather nicely presented and the scone was superb. Pretty good value for £3.50 (or was it £3?)

Great decor and liked all the different handwashes and hand creams in the ladies. The food menu looked super and I'm already planning my next hike up kinder Scout so that I can go to the Pack Horse afterwards. Friendly staff too.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We were staying near New Mills in a B&B and were pointed towards The Pack Horse as a good option for a relaxing pub meal - we were not disappointed.

the Pack Horse is an attractive and welcoming pub. We arrived fairly early on a Friday evening and were able to grab a table in the bar - we wouldn't have wanted to be much later. It's probably best to book if you want a table in the restaurant area but I think the food is the same and we were happier with the ambiance of the bar.

The staff were friendly and welcoming - the landlord even helping me with the name of the supplier of his outside festoon lights! A good range of real ales is stocked and were in top condition when drunk.

The menu was varied and interesting, with a separate list of curries also available, listed on a chalk board near the door.

Rather than having a starter, I spotted little bottles of cashew nuts behind the bar - a steal at 85p! - which we nibbled on while waiting for our food.

Our food was excellent and in huge portions - my wife's Lamb Henry (what's a "Henry" you may ask! It's a slow cooked shoulder) was excellent and I thoroughly enjoyed the chicken dish I chose. The range of traditional puds was too tempting to resist - though we did ask for one pud and two spoons.

All in all an excellent evening.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I and various relatives stayed for two nights in mid October. Rooms large and immaculate, dinner very good and breakfast outstanding. Even the weather was good, although local footpaths were either muddy, soggy or obscured by local vandals.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
The Sycamore Inn
The Sycamore Inn
#1 of 5 in Birch Vale
No photo provided

Been to Pack Horse Inn? Share your experiences!