The Devonshire Arms at Beeley
Bagshaw Hall(Bakewell)
$178
$69
PremierInn.com
Premier Inn Matlock(Matlock)(Great Value!)
Peak Edge Hotel(Stonedge)
$135
$107
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsdevonshire armschatsworth housethe pubdove cottagemain buildingacross the roadbiscuitsfish and chipsmodern bathroomboth nightswine listevening mealpuddinglog firesmoked haddockvisiting chatsworthfood was lovely
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 16, 2010

We had booked to go to the Devonshire Arms as an early mothers day treat (we did not go on the Sunday) and having read some previous reviews were a little concerned prior to arriving. Our concerns were unjustified as we had a truly lovely stay, the room was very cosy, we were staying in the new annexe and the Inn was great. Terrific food and attentive service - just what a harrassed mum needs!

After a chilly walk in the surrounding village we came back for early drinks having dumped the children with grandad. The pub was really cosy, with log fires roaring, perfect for an early G and T. We ate in the old part of the pub, however the more modern bit looked lovely and light and I did notice a few families in there. I had moules mariniere and the chicken which was a mdern take on chicken Maryland. My husband had pate and the salmon and prawn thai style for mains. All were very tasty. The waitibng staff were all very friendly and most helpful as I am gluten free so they were very good about checking with the kichen which dishes I could eat. We stayed up late and the barman was most accommodating despite having been there all day.

Breakfast was a real treat with an extensive choice, one of the best we have seen. All the breakfast items were cooked to order with as much care as our evening meal. All in all a fab trip away, sadly too short. Will be booking up for my birthday - may even take the kids this time.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank yorkshirebelle74
Chefpatron, Chef Patron at The Devonshire Arms at Beeley, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2010

Glad you left feeling relaxed!Hope to see you and the Kids very soon and for a little longer maybe.

Regards Alan.

Reviewed February 21, 2010

Stayed here for my wifes birthday with her sister and parents. The building is fantastic with open fires, stone walls and a real historic feel. However, the food and service fell way short of expectation. Costing £170 for 5 people you would expect a good hearty feast. What a huge disappointment, all 5 meals fell way short of basic restaurant standards. The most disappointing dish was the pheasant chosen by myself and father in law. At £17 a dish there was barely a mouthful of meat accompanied by one small diced potato! We were so hungry later on I had to drive 8 miles out in order to get some snacks to fill up empty stomachs. To compound matters the staff seemed incapable of maintaining the log fire which bellowed plumes of smoke into the room leaving all our clothes smelling of smoke. It is nice when out dining to be asked if everything is ok, either during or after the meal but the staff here don't seem to think so. I would definately NOT recommend eating here- There are plenty of superior places nearby at half the cost. We left this place feeling robbed.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank JPNouvelle
Chefpatron, Chef Patron at The Devonshire Arms at Beeley, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2010

Thanks for taking the time to write comments on your visit to the Devonshire Arms. It is always valuable for us to receive feedback both positive and constructive .We are
constantly reviewing our service and food offerings, which makes it even more
disappointing to receive comments of this nature.
If you do decide to return to our restaurant please dont hesitate to call me personally so that we can look after you in a way that I know we can .
Alan.

Reviewed February 17, 2010

I stayed here for one night with my six year old daughter so we were probably not the typical clientele however we were made to feel very welcome and we had an excellent stay. The village is stunningly beautiful has an extraordinary beautiful setting at the edge of the Chattsworth Estate. The hotel is very charming and well maintained with roaring warm fires and lovely exposed stonework and wood beams. We stayed in the Dove Dale room which was beautifully furnished and had a very comfortable bed although the room and bathroom are small.

The food was very good and they did a good job of catering for my young daughter and we had a cozy spot in front of one of the wood fires. I had pork ribs in a tempura batter (the batter was not great but the ribs and blue cheese sauce tasted great) followed by a most excellent 28 day dry aged steak and chips. My daughter’s bangers and mash were so yummy that I would have eaten them too if I had not been full of steak. I also had two excellent glasses of new world red wines and the sticky toffee pudding was also very decedent (my daughter was delighted by vanilla and chocolate ice cream). After my daughter feel asleep I enjoyed a few pints and a whisky downstairs by another fire.

I found the staff to be very efficient and professional so I did not encounter the issues that some of the other reviewers have commented on. I had a such a good time that I am already plotting a return visit with my wife. Like another reviewer wrote “I wish I could live here”.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank satnam6502
Chefpatron, Chef patron at The Devonshire Arms at Beeley, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2010

Glad you had a fantastic stay with us,thanks for your kind comments,great that your daughter liked our bangers and mash.Hope to see you again soon.

Alan

Reviewed February 16, 2010

We stayed there last Friday night and my only regret was that we couldn't stay for longer. The food was great (both evening meal and breakfast). The room (Great Rocks Dale) was lovely and had everything we could have wanted. The service was also great - from the welcome to the departure. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend staying here - but please don't all book as I would like it to be easily available in the future.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KSWLeicestershire
Chefpatron, Chef Patron at The Devonshire Arms at Beeley, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2010

Great that you had a wonderful time with us hope to see you again very soon.
Alan.

Reviewed January 28, 2010

Dropped in for lunch one saturday in the snow, fire roaring away and lucky to get a table in the bar. Menu was great as was the service dispite how busy it was. Food was faultless, will remember it for a long time.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank uktreehugger
Chefpatron, Chef patron at The Devonshire Arms at Beeley, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2010

Thankyou for your very kind comments following your recent lunch with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Regards Alan.