“Fantastic meal !!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Beeley B&B and Inns
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Fantastic meal !!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Myself and my husband went on Saturday night, a long overdue return visit. The menu had changed and we were once again spoilt for choice. After the delicious nibbles which were brought out to us ( best potted meat ever ) my husband opted for a starter off the specials, the Grouse, which he thoroughly enjoyed. I couldn't resist the goats cheese pannacota and wasn't disappointed. We both enjoyed our main meals, baked eggs with wild mushrooms, delicious!, and cod with lentil daal and basamati rice. Would have loved to have sampled a dessert but couldn't have possibly eaten another thing! The menu was innovative and as usual the food presentation second to none. My only niggle was not having one member of staff serving throughout the meal. At times it seemed they were not up to date with where we at with the meal, we asked for the wine list which never appeared until we asked again, also, we weren't offered water. Two very small gripes about a most enjoyable night out.
We will be back....already looking forward to it!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
DevonshireHotels, General Manager at The Devonshire Arms at Beeley, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Great to read your review the team will be really pleased you enjoyed your evening,also my apologies for the small shortfalls you experienced ! Thanks Again .
Chef Patron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
northants
Reviewed September 24, 2012

it is lovely
they do need a lounge area adjacent to the bar for guests
food is divine
rooms are nice
but avoid the ones with a roll top bath in them
check out can be slow -as at times no one is around to sort bills

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the review,we are working on checkout procedures !Nice to read your comments about the food and room.Hope to see you again.
Kind Regards
Alan.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2012

This is a lovely quiet well run hotel in a wonderful location for visiting the Derbyshire countryside. Everything was right from my first phone contact when booking to the hotel itself and the food and service. Our room was in a separate cottage next to the hotel, Chee Dale room, large and quiet with a garden outside. Dinner was very good and breakfast nicer than usual in a hotel. We would definitely stay there again. Their sister hotel at Pilsley was also for great for meals.

Room Tip: Chee Dale. Lovely big bed.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Wow really pleased to read about your stay with us and the mention of our sister pub at Pilsley.Thanks again and hope to see you soon.
Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Stopped there after a day hiking. Interior was lovely! Smell of food was mouthwatering. Will have to visit again and taste it. Very friendly staff snd warm atmosphere. Worth a visit for an evening occasion or social stop whilst hiking.

• Stayed September 2012
Thanks for the visit we do hope you return to sample our menu in the near future.
Alan Chef Patron.
Ledbury UK
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

We were very impressed when we stayed the night at the Devonshire Arms. We were warmly greeted and shown to the lovely accommodation nearby at the Brookside cottages. The rooms were appealing with lovely choice of colours. We had dinner in the pub and as well as the service being exceptional the food was of very high quality. I notices that the management went to a lot of trouble to involve the staff to work as a team and this I think explained the quality of our stay. If in the area again we would stay here as our first choice.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
brit in west Indies
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed with my husbands for 5 nights recently. It was a treat for us as honestly we would not normally spend so much on pub accomodation..

On a plus side we absolutely LOVED the area and the village....it was just so beautiful .
We really hated our room "peak dale " whilst I was expecting a bath to be a feature in the actual bedroom I did not expect there to not be an actual normal bathroom in the room to wash privately....my husband equally hated it and it really spoilt our first impression....another room was available for our last two nights and it was lovely..also my mum joined us for a night and again her room was also really lovely....
The food was good ..but actually we had two dinners at the Devonshire arms in Pilsey..which we preferred...menu was was more "pub by" but delicious.....

My main gripe was the lack of lounge area which I think is crucial...both in a pub but also in a hotel..there was no where to sit and relax and quite frankly the atmosphere did not feel right at all...all the areas were set for diners...and I think honestly that was a money making decision on the part of the owners and its a mistake.

The service was not bad....but everyone has more than one job...ok I am in the same business I understand it's pretty normal.but the managers were not able to manage properly as they were too busy waiting tables and running around .i think it could have been improved with a dedicated restaurant manager or supervisor who had more time to talk to the guests.I did hear more than my fair share of complaints whilst I was there from other guests....this place does have the potential to be really great ...but in my humble opinion it needs a lounge, and probably someone to take a bit of the heat off the existing managers so they can be more efficient dealing with guests who need cosseting!

Not sure if I would go back.....if money was no object...maybe I would and I would request a room in the new wing over the road. My husband had a great day fishing I forgot to mention that !

My main complaint is that this place feels like a restaurant with rooms...as there is no reception and more importantly no lounge to have a quiet coffee, drink read a book in....it does not even feel like a pub as there is essentially a bar ...but with nowhere to sit.....all of the tables are set for dining and whilst I understand that they need to make money...I really think that an area close to the bar should be set aside for people to relax in...especially if they are spending 130 pounds plus on a bedroom.....the food WAS good ...but I enjoyed the food in the more relaxed Pilsley Devonshire arms more.

The che

Room Tip: Peak dale has no separate bathroom..so if you prefere to bathe privately don't take it.
1 Thank gstringgourmet
Thanks for the review I will be sure to take onboard your comments and speak to the team about your experience ,I will also pass on your comments to the Pilsley team about your meal as they will be really pleased you enjoyed the food.
Thanks Again.
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed a couple of nights at the Devonshire Arms and were in the room directly above the front door in the picture. The room had been recently tastefully redecorated, impeccably clean, and quiet despite being over the front door and bar area. The ensuite bathroom is on the small side but entirely adequate. Access is up the back stairs through the bar. The restaurant is very pleasant, with the beck alongside the window. Food was very good and not too adventurous, and service was very good too; and all staff throughout the hotel were welcoming, helpful and cheerful. Parking is easy and close by or outside, but, when we stay again - as we surely will - we will make a point of staying in Dove Cottage just across the road. Beeley is very close to Chatsworth great park and the garden centre just inside the gates. There is easy walking through the park, down to the river and on to Chatsworth itself. In the other direction, Haddon Hall is 15 minutes drive away and well worth a visit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
It was great to read you enjoyed all we had to offer at the pub and on the chatsworth estate!Once again thanks for the comments.
Chef Patron
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beeley
Bagshaw Hall
Peak Edge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Stonedge
East Lodge Country House Hotel
The Izaak Walton Hotel

Been to The Devonshire Arms at Beeley? Share your experiences!