The Devonshire Arms at Beeley
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Bagshaw Hall(Bakewell)
$133
The Lathkil Hotel(Over Haddon)
$91
$141
$99
$79
Priceline
All reviewsdevonshire armschatsworth housethe pubdove cottagemain buildingacross the roadbiscuitsfish and chipsmodern bathroomboth nightswine listevening mealpuddinglog firesmoked haddockvisiting chatsworthfood was lovely
Reviewed March 19, 2011

We took advantage of a deal, bed and breakfast, evening meal bottle of champagne and tickets to Chatsworth House (five mins. away by car and purpose of visit to the area).
Arrived early to collect tickets for the House, so enjoyed decent coffee by a roaring fire before leaving our bags. Room tastefully decorated, well equipped, though small. TV, DVD, Hair dryer, tea/coffee making facilities. etc. Could have done with two bed side lamps instead of just one, otherwise all we needed. Bathroom, again small but adequate.
The bar areas are comfortable and tastefully decorated fresh flowers, two real fires burning.
The larger restaurant area, where we breakfasted was I imagine good in the summer
and used as the overflow when the tourists hit the area.
Food was good, but probably over generous with the portions. One thing we did wonder was why the slightly 'indian theme' when some of the finest British meals could be promoted in this area for tourists. Having said this, our meal was good.
Breakfast excellent all fresh cooked.
I am informed the beers were superb and good choices. I drank the champagne (someone had to) which was of good quality, a surprise as this was a special deal.
Staff were really helpful, friendly without being in your face, and polite.
Situation perfect for sightseeing, walking etc. this area which is so pretty. The village is like going back in time complete with stream. Car parking facilities are ample, private car park just over the road.
8 rooms, 7 of which were booked whilst we were there.
We were overall, very impressed and already planning our return visit in the Autumn.
I think we probably were there at the best time, imagine in the summer it is heaving.
Recommend it thoroughly and thanks for a very brief but delightful stay.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Time Travellers' Wife
DevonshireHotels, Chef Patron at The Devonshire Arms at Beeley, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2011

Thank you so much for your delightful review and your kind words. We are so glad you enjoyed your time with us and took pleasure in everything we had to offer. Looking forward to your return in Autumn, until then kind regards.
Alan Hill, (Chef Patron)

Reviewed January 31, 2011

We stayed at the Devonshire Arms on Christmas Eve as a treat to ourselves. Things got off on the wrong foot by an error in the booking on our part, smoothed over fairly quickly by the staff (Although we did have to stand and listen to some inter-establishment gossip for a few minutes while the staff member was standing in front of us on the phone trying to deal with our issue).
My partner is picky when it comes to the room, and we were pleased that they allowed her to poke her nose into some of the rooms and choose the one which suited her tastes best. The room itself was directly over the front door of the pub, but not noisy in the slightest even at closing time. It was well furnished and beautifully decorated. The cd player didn't work, which was a shame because a one christmas present was a cd, which we had been hoping to play. Otherwise the room was immaculate.
We decided to eat in the bistro at the pub and are glad we did! It was absolutely superb food, totally amazing. It must be one of the best restaurants in the North surely??
The staff were a mixed bunch, but the main waitress in the Bistro was intelligent, good humoured, and friendly. A three hour meal went by in a flash, like it should do, because we were having such a good time. Considering it was Christmas eve I don't know who was in the kitchen or if they even wanted to be there, but they prepared a meal for us which we will remember for a long time, it was that good! Even rubbing shoulders with the handful of locals was good fun afterwards in the bar.

The bed in the room was just so comfortable. I slept like I hadn't slept for years.
Breakfast was a huge choice of delights over several courses. Even on Christmas morning the standard of the food and attention to detail was excellent. Considering the staff were probably thinking about their presents, or the night before, I thought the breakfast was a near miracle.
The pub area itself was nice, but the fires didn't seem to fit the chimneys, so the pub was really smokey.
It's a lovely place to stay and I don't think I'd have to try hard to persuade my partner to go back there.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MoreInHope
DevonshireHotels, Chef Patron at The Devonshire Arms at Beeley, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2011

Wow! Thank you for this wonderful review, we are so pleased that you had an enjoyable Christmas with us! I am very proud of my team and will pass on your excellent comments!
Kind Regards
Alan (Chef Patron)

Reviewed January 29, 2011

The room where stayed in had a very deep roll top bath, the beds are so comfortable and had a small selection of dvd to choose from. When we got there the open log fire was in full flow and so, only to be sociable, it was only fitting to sit beside it drinking Chatsworth Gold. The staff are really attentive and nothing is too much trouble for them. The food is absolutely devine and we had breakfast, dinner and tea there, all servings were out of this world and the lemon tart is to die for! Highly recommended for just having a meal in the country or for a short stay nearby Chatsworth House.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nina1973_11
Chefpatron, General Manager at The Devonshire Arms at Beeley, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2011

Great to read you enjoyed your afternoon /evening with us I will pass your comments on to all my team! Thanks once again and I hope you will return for another visit soon.
Regards Alan ( Chef Patron )

Reviewed January 20, 2011

We stayed in the Peak Dale room for a night on our way home for Christmas. It was lovely; we loved the roll top bath in the room and it was nice being tucked away above the pub. The food was delicious and the staff were very obliging in proving extra choices to us as vegetarians. The mulled wine and roaring fires were very festive. We could only afford this on a special offer but it was a throughouly enjoyable stay in a beautiful part of the world.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Poro30

Wonderful review thanks !! Dont forget to keep your eye on our website for more great offers,hope to see you again soon.
Kindest Regards
Alan (Chef Patron)

Reviewed January 7, 2011

My friend and I had a wonderful stay. The atmosphere was really cosy and chilled. We stayed in the dove dale suite which was lovely and the bed super comfy. Food was amazing, even though slightly expensive it was well worth it. I had the Moroccan lamb, which I have to say is probably the best thing I have eaten in a long while, every bite made me go mmmmm. The staff were really nice too and I shall definitely be revisiting. The review below complains of the smoke from the fire, yes it was a little Smokey but not overly so that it was a problem, and if you ask me it added to the atmosphere. I also quite liked the fact there was no music as it enabled you to be able to talk properly and enjoy your food and conversation. Each to their own though.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank ttxes12
Chefpatron, General Manager at The Devonshire Arms at Beeley, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2011

Many thanks for your great comments,I am working on a whole new menu at the moment so there will be lots of new dishes for you to try!Thanks again and I will pass your comments onto my team!
Hope to see you again very soon.
Regards