“Nice pub lunch”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Nice pub lunch”
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Stopped by forlunch Sunday afternoon. The pub was full but owner found room especially for us.The service was fantastic as was the food and company...portion sizes were huge and the Hinton arms ale was great. Loved the place...!

Gosport, United Kingdom
“The food portions are massive!!!!”
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

This is a lovely old worldy english pub .the food is home cooked excellent standard and massive portions extremely good value for money .free parking

Cosham,Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“What a pleasant surprise”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

My partner and I discovered the Hinton Arms yesterday evening whilst on a bimble about in the car. As it happens I have been past this pub on many occasions but decided to stop and have a look at what it had to offer in the way of beer and food. I am rather partial to a pint or two of real ale and was pleased to be greeted with an array of local Hinton ales, none of which I had ever seen or tried before. The one I tried was delicious!

We parked ourselves virtually on top of the log burner, I love a real fire in a pub, and had a look at the menu. It all looked ok and was about the same sort of prices that we usually pay at our regular haunts. I had spotted the specials board on the way in and took a closer look...yum!

I decided on the slow roasted Guinea Fowl and he had the homemade fishcakes. When they arrived I was amazed!! My bird looked much larger than I was expecting and came with the most delicious wild mushroom sauce and a healthy selection of veg and new potatoes. His was on a plate with a huge mixed side salad and homemade chips. When finished we had a look at the dessert menu. Only he ordered dessert as I was stuffed. He chose Banoffee Pie. I had a taste. It was the best banoffee pie I have ever tasted to date and was a very large slice served with a large scoop of very tasty ice cream.

We will definitely return to try some more of the menu, especially the desserts ;)

• Visited February 2013
Winchester, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

A friend of mine had raved about the Hinton Arms' mixed grill for a while and so a few of us decided to go out there and see what all the fuss was about. I'd been to the pub before, so I knew what to expect - A friendly welcome in a traditional country pub. We went on a Sunday, it was relatively quiet, but I suspect the snow had put a few people off venturing out.

We didn't even need to look at the menu to decide what we were having, although a quick check did reveal that next to "mixed grill", was additional word, "big", which was almost a warning!

The food was top drawer. It was a massive portion as the menu had warned but that was one of the reasons we wanted to go. Pork, lamb, steak, two sausages, two fried eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, onion rings, salad AND a side portion of chips. I couldn't finish it all, but what I did eat was delicious.

I would definitely recommend the Hinton Arms. A traditional country pub, with friendly staff and excellent food.

• Visited January 2013
Penzance, United Kingdom
“Unexpected good food!”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stopped here in a dreadful downpour, in need of some lunch. The interior is a mix of oldie world/hunting scenes and patterned carpets and the welcome pleasant. However the food was amazing! We only wanted a snack, sandwiches etc but were served very generous portions. I had a cheese and onion sandwich (the cheese was sliced so thick I almost asked for a doggy bag) served with crisps and a side salad, and my husband had comfit of duck on black pudding. He was absolutely delighted when an enormous plateful was placed in front of him and wondered if he'd inadvertently ordered a main instead of a starter. we ordered a bowl of chips too but couldn't eat them! I would highly recommend the food in this surprising stop over.

• Visited January 2013