“Good food great location.”
Review of The Bush Inn

The Bush Inn
Ranked #10 of 30 Restaurants in Alresford
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A lovely traditional pub on the banks of the beaiutiful River Itchen serving a selection of freshly cooked dishes including pub classics, fish and seafood and locally sourced meat, game and poultry.
Reviewed November 10, 2012

If you want a short walk with the dog and to enjoy a decent pint of beer and a good plate of food, you will go some way to better the Bush at Ovington. We use this place quite often following a walk along the river and we have introduced many friends to the same delights.
If you are in Hampshire need to walk the dog and you feel a bit peckish....get here!

Reviewed October 16, 2012

This pub should be reported for masquerading under false pretenses. The food here is not pub grub; it is worthy of a high class restaurant in any major city! Non locals have to look hard to find this hidden gem, a pretty ancient inn nestling on a trout river bank in deeply rural Hampshire (n the Pilgrim Way, I believe) but the rewards are great. It's a green wellies, tweeds and pearls pub with blazing log fires when needed - yesterday they were needed. I live some 20-odd miles away so in recent years I have only ever lunched there (on three occasions) and each time I have been highly impressed with the ambience and - especially - the menu and quality of the food and wines. My personal favourite there is a Stornaway Black Pudding with a perfectly poached egg as a starter, and yesterday I had a whole Dover sole as a main course, beautifuly cooked and served with nicely al dente vegetables. With a large glass of good dry wine it cost about £25 - a small enough price to pay for true excellence, I thought. The pudding menu looked great, but sadly I could not manage another morsel by then. Each time I have been there it has been crowded and I have always booked in advance to get my favourite table in a quiet corner by a window (The Bat table - there is a stuffed bat hanging near it). From reading other reviews of this pub it seems that lunchtime is probably a better time to go to get the real value from it; goodness knows how a stranger would find it after dark, anyway! I had originally booked for a Wednesday but I was phoned and advised that they were going to lose their electricty that day and would only be able to offer cold meals, so I changed the day to Tuesday. I thought this a thoughtful act. The ambience was good, happy buzz of chatter - thank goodness no musak. Service between courses a bit slow but well worth the wait and I was with good friends who had lots to say! Highly recommended.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

We were early arrivals 7.00pm on a Wednesday evening and the inn was more than half empty. More than half the choices on the menu had been crossed out as being 'sorry sold out'.

My wife chose from the the limited menu 'chilly chicken'. This was served with tortilla chips/crisp triangles fresh from the supermarket packet! My choice of beef and red wine pie lacked little evidence of beef.

The staff were swift and courteous but the limited choice and the quality of the food let them down.

When we vsit Hampshire every two or three years we have always made a point of visiting the Bush Inn. The location is beautiful and in the past the food first class. I don't know if it is a result of the recession but this time the food was definitely second rate.

2  Thank jobberwock
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Very average overpriced food. What a shame. The location will not pay the rent. Must do better to survive.

2  Thank runnercon
Reviewed July 23, 2012

The location is lovely, even though the evening we visited it was pouring with rain it was still worth a look at the river! The pub itself is lovely and has an authentic feel - not manufactured to look old like so many places are. The food and service were great, no complaint on either front. I had potted shrimp followed by risotto - both were really good. They had a good selection of wine. I would recommend this place as a lovely place to visit for a drink and for food.