“very disappointing”

Description: Postal Code SO24 9AV
London, United Kingdom
“very disappointing”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We've been to the Shapla in Arlesford on a number of occasions and have unfortunately seen it decline in both service and food quality.
Our last visit was on a Sunday evening when most local restaurants were closed and local pubs had stopped service food.
The restaurant was very quiet so service was not a problem but the food was very poor, we were convinced that we were served reheated leftovers.
The onion bhajis were rock solid and had obviously been deep fried several times, when I spoke to the waiter he said that was normal for onion bhajis.
I'll be in no hurry to go back.

• Visited August 2012

Englishman abroad
“Wonderful service”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Genuinely good service. Jalfrezi highly recommended! I would agree with the lack of salt in the dishes!

• Visited July 2012
“Very good.”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Consistently good food, though they don't seem to season their food with salt for some reason. Only had a poor meal here a couple of times in 12 years of using the restaurant... Mainly for take always. Staff seem friendly and discreet.

• Visited June 2012
Marlborough, United Kingdom
“Terrible service and average food”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Being used to London, where really good and inspired Indian food can be found, maybe I'm just fussy. I certainly disagree with the 5 stars awarded by the other reviewers. This comes nowhere near a "5" compared to many places in which we have eaten. This is not the first time we have been here and I would have given it an "Average" rating, were it not for the generally sub-standard and unprofessional service, for which there is no excuse. To summarise, the menu is bog standard UK curry house fare, with a few "new dishes" thrown in such as Spring Rolls (in an Indian Restaurant???). I also spotted mozzarella cheese as one of the ingredients in the starters. Bring on Gordon Ramsey. The chef needs to be told to get back to basics and try and up the standard of the Indian food. Forget trying to do World Cooking badly. We could put up with this - it's not expensive and fills a gap locally - were it not for the fact that the service leaves a lot to be desired. Not for the first time, they messed up our order. When the wrong thing was brought out and then sent back, it reappeared again as though the waiter was worried about taking it back into the kitchen. We sent it away again, then waited and waited... Other little things added insult to injury and we finally left, deciding to have desert and coffee elsewhere. Definitely a big miss!

• Visited July 2012
St Helier
“Spot on”
Reviewed July 16, 2012 via mobile

I used to visit Shapla when I lived in Hampshire and although good, it wasn't the best in the area. last night It was evident that it was over all slicker and more professional with excellent service, knowledgable staff and great food with bags of flavour.
Travelling back to Jersey tomorrow wishing I had Shapla on my door step.