TripAdvisor
Alresford
Post
Inbox
Search

“Most disappointing revisit now under new ownership”
Review of Caracoli

Caracoli
Ranked #3 of 3 Quick Bites in Alresford
Cuisines: Australian, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Description: The Coffee Shop serves excellent coffee and tea, homemade cakes, savoury bakes, all day brunch and seasonal lunches. The Food Store sells specialist foods, local cheese, wine, cooking accessories and food related gifts.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Can’t believe how impressed I have been over a long period of years with this branch & the other branches I have patronised., a change of ownership has ruined the name for what it stood for.

I had already been told by a local friend it had declined but decided to have lunch there today , despite.
My experience ;
I ordered the quiche just warm not “hot “ it came hot & soggy. I explained to staff I didn’t want hot plus it must have been microwaved, not the way to warm the quiche. Was told they could heat in the oven , which I said yes to. The member of staff that brought it to me said be careful the plate was very hot. Indeed it was, again a “hot “piece along with a side salad I told her you don’t put salad on a hot plate. No one had a clue , fancy a customer having to outline what should be , basic common sense.
I informed her I wasn’t happy had run out of time & requested a piece of cake I could take out , which she did give me & apologised.
I asked for a coffee to have when my food order arrived—- it came before, again apologies, plus no teaspoon , a wooden “coffee spoon” you have with a takeaway.
This experience cost me £ 8.00 , will never return. Upon leaving I mentioned the “spoon” she said normally you would have a proper spoon , “ they were all in the wash”
The only thing that was as before , the cappuccino , hence the 1 *

1  Thank lindy r
Write a reviewReviews (265)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My review is coming from someone who worked in several coffee shops and was a supervising manager who ran the staff and store of the coffee shop I worked at.

Today Tuesday 24/09/2019 at 3:45pm

I always love Caracoli coffee and when I treat myself I also love their carrot cake and oat, nut chocolate cookie. Today I saw one girl who i failed to catch her name. I will use the name “Jen” to make this easier to understand when I refer to this one employee. “Jen” was behind the counter running around handling drinks and customers. She was highly impressive, professional and never said anything bad about the staff that was out back rearranging the kitchen even though she was left to do everything by herself out in front of the store. If she had one more person working equally as hard as her it would have been ok.

One girl, she was lean and about 5 foot 6 inches, dark blond hair and wearing glasses came out and stood behind her and ignored us customers and leaned against the counter watching the other girl run around. I wanted to assume she was training and that is why she was not being any sort of help and not giving any customer service. Why she did not ask if we had been rung through or if we wanted any pastries or food.

Then a young lad with darker hair came out from the kitchen and he, too, leaned against the counter and chatted with the customer behind me in line. Then “Jen” ran from the espresso machine to the till to ring in my order. So I asked the ones leaning against the counter watching “Jen”, “why is she running around while you two watch her and do nothing?” The lad replied, “i just moved a fridge out back.”

So I told “Jen” she gave excellent customer service and she was a hard worker who also was very good at what she does. I hope she gets paid a supervisor wage for working like she was a supervisor and handling pressure so gracefully and still giving excellent quality coffee.

My only constructive criticism for “Jen” is to delegate and ask for help and not do everything herself. It seems her coworkers are used to not having to work hard when she is on the floor.

“Jen” was about 5 foot 4 inches, blond, blue eyes (?) , very personable and friendly. I hope this helps you identify her and give her the recognition she deserves. If she is not a supervisor she is definitely qualified to be one and learn the art of delegation while being trained.

Also, to the owner or manager on duty today, don't take all of your staff out back and leave one person to scramble to take care of customers. What kind of customer experience is that?

4  Thank SamKassie K
Reviewed September 16, 2019

Visited for lunch today and immediately spotted it had changed since last visit. Breakfast muffins sold out well before lunch time, no fresh bread available to buy (advised on available on the weekend now). Thank goodness we didn’t order lunch as the next table were served the smallest portion of savoury flan and salad I have ever seen. The shelves were bereft of produce which I normally buy and enjoy at home. Whilst wandering around the cafe area I notice a table which had recently been vacated had left all 4 meals less than half eaten. We will not be returning which will be a loss to the town as a whole as this place used to be the main attraction with other shops benefitting from our visit.

1  Thank Shirley M
Reviewed September 1, 2019

Since new management and team have taken over albeit a little rocky start we are starting to see the hub of Alresford come alive again. The new manager is extremely helpful and efficient! The new menu boards are looking promising and the introduction of dogs allowed in is fantastic! We really want to support this wonderful cafe and hope that it continues with its friendly welcome and caring, lovely food! Well done team Caracolli Alresford! Sarah

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed August 25, 2019

What a nice place for a coffee. Very pleasant staff, good coffee and nice cake! Clean and tidy and not too overcrowded.

Date of visit: August 2019