Tripadvisor
Alresford
All reviews car park watercress line the ground floor would stay again eggs benedict full english breakfast breakfast was excellent church bells food was fantastic breakfast and dinner business trip christmas market family get together choice of real ales until midnight the main hotel tables and chairs
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I stayed for one night while attending a training course nearby. My room was lovely and spotlessly clean. I had dinner in the restaurant which was very good and again the staff were very friendly and helpful.
Breakfast choice was excellent. It took a little while to come but was worth the wait - the eggs were poached to perfection.
Really enjoyed my stay and would definitely boom again.

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed December 28, 2019

The dealings on the phone with the receptionist Louise to get our booking confirmed all went smoothly, friendly and professionally.

Upon arrival, check-in went equally as good so we were hopeful it would be a good overnight Christmas stay.

Room 21, on the ground floor next to the car park was very convenient with our 2 small dogs and looked like it had been recently redecorated; very welcoming, warm, cozy and nice.

It was a pity that nothing “extra or festive” had been done to the room seeing we were staying there for Christmas Day and as such paid top rate for the room. A small token like Christmas cookies or chocolates would have been a nice festive touch, nor had anything been provided for our 2 dogs even though it was an extra £10 each a night for them.

We spent very little time in the room as we were celebrating Christmas day with our family and only used the room to sleep in, get ready the next morning, have breakfast and go, so we didn’t mind too much.

Sadly not much sleep was had as the mattress was so hard and “coily” for lack of better word, we both got up with much pain and discomfort, and that is even with me using my travel mattress topper as I have MS and live with chronic pain. So investing in replacing the mattresses with a comfortable pocket sprung mattress to ensure a good night sleep is kind of essential in our mind if you want repeat business. The beds at the Travelodge, Premier Inn and Holiday Inn Express are much more comfy and half the price! This for us was most disappointing as we had high hopes to have found somewhere comfortable to stay when we come down to visit the family.

The bathroom was well appointed and the shower was very good. I would just suggest an added shelf and some hooks to put our toiletries on for ladies would be useful as well as some face cloths.

The biggest praise goes to the breakfast, our eggs Benedict and coffees were simply divine and the friendly service equally refreshing.

At check-out however, my husband had a lady who didn’t even utter a word to him, not a hello, how was your stay or breakfast, nothing! Not even eye contact nor a thank you at the end! Most rude and someone who shouldn’t be doing that job clearly!

So would we recommend it? Only if you don’t mind hard mattresses.

Room tip: hard mattress
Reviewed December 27, 2019

This 18th Century hotel has quirky little staircases, sloping floors and great character. Our deluxe king size room was clean with a very comfy bed and a compact bathroom. We had booked a table in the restaurant and both the food and service were excellent!
For it's location, the room was not too noisy.
The breakfast choices were good and the tea and coffee endless - our group of 12 were served very quickly.

Reviewed December 26, 2019 via mobile

We had Sunday lunch at this pub. Nice building, nicely decorated, friendly staff, and nice bar area, however, our Sunday lunch was very poor. Overcooked beef, hard rubbery roast potatoes, plain boiled veg, flat soggy Yorkshire’s, and a bisto type gravy.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed December 22, 2019 via mobile

I stayed one night. Room was spotless and very comfortable. Breakfast was excellent with plenty of choices.
The staff were friendly and very helpful.
I would thoroughly recommend the Swan as great value for money.

Trip type: Traveled with friends