Kerswell Farmhouse
$201
$103
  • Breakfast included
$132
All reviewsblack labradorwonderful hostsdevon countrysideunderfloor heatinggarden roomground coffeemod consstunning locationstayed for nightsbed and breakfastperfect stayelectric blindsstate of the arteggs and baconquality steakwhite companyfirst class
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The welcome was great. The room was fantastic, mirror at the dressing table with a socket nearby. The towels were large, fluffy and white. The breakfast menu was good and well cooked. We had dinner on one evening and this too was very good and we were asked previously if we had any allergies or dislikes. Ok, it was down some very narrow lanes but after all this is Devon!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed in Kerswell in May 2013 for the bank holiday weekend and could not have had a better experience.

We stayed in Mead and it was just beautiful, everything in the rooms is very high quality and it felt very luxurious!

On arrival Graham greeted us with wine and 'nibbles' of smoked salmon and mushrooms, whilst going out of his way to arrange somewhere for us to eat that evening, even offering us a lift, which was really appreciated.

The breakfast was delicious, I had asked for a gluten free option beforehand which they had forgotten but did profusely apologise for this and luckily I had bought my own gluten free bread with me, so was able to have the poached eggs. There was also two gluten free options on the '1st course' menu for breakfast anyway luckily. Breakfast was really enjoyable with the other guests sitting together, nice way to meet people.

We also sampled a bottle of wine from the cellar which was lovely and good value at £10.50 a bottle. There are ones up to £700 there for the more experienced wine taster!

Nicola and Graham were extremely welcoming and friendly throughout our visit and even gave us a tour of the whole house, which is absolutely fantastic.

We will definitely be back next year and have recommended to all our friends!

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Having written the very first review for Kerswell Farmhouse on tripadvisor, almost one year ago, I do not propose to write such a long one this time. However, having seen the two most recent reviews which have contained, in my opinion, unwarranted criticism of Kerswell, I feel compelled to write once again to stress how wonderful this property is.

We returned in late June 2013 for a two night stay in the Bonberry. This stay was even more perfect than last year, but only because we experienced wonderful sunny weather this time. The accommodation and service were again first class; Nichola's cooking was superb (we had the optional dinner as well as breakfast on each day); and this time, we had the opportunity to meet Graham, who was abroad during our first stay.

A new addition this time was the introduction of an honesty bar in the small art gallery; I believe I was the first to help myself to a pre-dinner G & T!

Don't be put off by the downgrades awarded by the two previous reviews; read Graham Hawkins' honest responses and enjoy for yourself a stay at Kerswell Farmhouse, which is a must for anyone looking for a luxury B&B in this beautiful part of South Devon.

1  Thank DavidG638
Reviewed June 27, 2013

The hosts were very welcoming we stayed in the bonberry room beautiful room comfortable bed, beautiful views and garden, breakfast wasn't to my taste but my partner enjoyed it espically the black pudding. The only thing that let it down was after I spent the night in the wonderfully comfortable bed was that I read in the welcome pack they only change the linnen every 3 days!! For £130 I would like clean sheets overall an enjoyable stay

• Stayed: June 2013
gjnhawkins, Owner at Kerswell Farmhouse, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Thank you for your comments. We have found that our guests are overwhelmingly delighted with our amazing selection of breakfasts which include 5 special starters and 9 optional main courses including a substantial Devonshire Cooked Breakfast. We are particularly proud of our black pudding which your partner enjoyed. It is supplied by the local butcher in Ballater, Scotland and is the same as is supplied to HM The Queen at Balmoral.

I think you have misunderstood the comments in our guest information folder re bed linen. Fine 100% cotton White Company linen is, of course provided fresh and clean for each new guest on arrival. The sentence about changing sheets every three days refers to long-term guests. This frequency is usual in major 5-star hotel chains and has been discussed with many of our guests who have approved the arrangement. Should guests wish to have their linen changed more frequently then we are happy to do so. I should add that we meet the very highest standards of cleanliness and have achieved the highest rating from the local authority's health and hygiene department as well as the 5-star Gold award from the British Tourist Board, a standard that is awarded after an anonymous, objective inspection and according to rigorous guidelines regarding cleanliness and other aspects of performance. To avoid any guests seeing any ambiguity in our guest information in future I have changed the entry to: 'For guests staying for longer periods it is changed every three days, or more frequently on request.' We encourage our guests to discuss any perceived shortcomings with us as it helps us to improve though in this case it would have avoided observations that might be unfairly misleading to other travellers.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Arriving at Kerswell House after driving the narrow country lanes was a pleasant surprise. We were warmly greeted, and shown to our rooms after being shown around the house. The facilities are very good with conservatory dining, and a comfortable sitting room. Rooms were excellent with large, well appointed bathrooms. The views down across the valley were superb.
So I'm nitpicking now - breakfast in a country B & B is usually a superb experience, but this one was disappointing. supermarket sliced bread and a poached egg done in a machine dont cut it for us. Although Kerswell House is generally value for money, it is luxury at a luxury price, and I feel they should join the 21st century and offer cedit card facilities. Most travellers these days dont expect to have to carry that amount of money. (we were told beforehand that it was cash only). Having said that, we would recommend Kerswell House as an enjoyable place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments. We have now introduced whole loaves from a local bakery, hand-sliced just prior to toasting in our kitchen.

On the poached eggs I am not sure what a poaching 'machine' is and we certainly do not have one! Our locally-produced free-range eggs are poached as required in a traditional English poacher and individually timed. Our poached eggs have received widely favourable comments and so we shall not change the way we cook them.

On the use of credit cards, as a small business we have resisted this. In the case of overseas visitors we waive the deposit so that they do not incur any transfer charges. We accept, however, that for some overseas visitors, and even some local ones, it may be more convenient to use a credit card and consequently we are in the process of making the facility available. Most guests are more than happy to use BACS, cheques or cash, and in order to reduce costs and ultimately prices, we shall continue to encourage this.