As regular visitors to Shrewsbury a meal out with friends is always a high spot of the weekend. Each trip we tend to try different restaurants and feel 'safe' doing so as the standard of food in the area has, over recent years, become very high. On our last trip we tried the Inn at Grinshill as it was recommended to us by close friends who eat there often.
Wow, I am so glad we did as it was excellent.
Our friends , who were eating with us, had booked a table in the bar ('Bistro') but as I had seen the restaurant menu (it differs a little from the bistro - check out the web site) we arrived undecided where in the inn to eat.
Our table was ready and waiting but we chose another one to sit at and have aperitifs and peruse both the menus. The choice was not easy as there were dishes on both that appealed but as the restaurant menu is not served in the bistro a choice had to be made . In the end we stayed in the bistro because the menu for there read better than most restaurants I have visited and as the aperitifs had hit home we just didn't want to move - not even to the table that had been reserved for us. The staff could not have been friendlier they gave us all the time we needed to make up our minds and were relaxed about changing the table. So, what about the meal;
Pigeon breasts with sweetcorn, shallots and red wine juice was a little on the small side but made up for this with flavour and the fact that they had been cooked rare (don't worry I had been asked how I would like them served). On the plate they looked wonderful
The Pressed Duck with smoked duck Parfait and beetroot was flavourful too (my wife allowed me to try hers)
A pretty dish of Scallops with ras el hanout and micro coriander was also given 'top marks'
The main course of Belly Pork was beautifully plated and came with what the menu noted as 'black pudding and apple bon bon'. If 'bon bon' sounds a little too 'chefy' then I'll leave you to the joy of biting into it and simply say I will be back for more
Rib eye steak was cooked as requested and a pepper sauce was asked for and happily supplied
Crayfish risotto was the weakest dish of the evening, due to it looking little too brown (from the lobster bisque). However it was rich, tasty and very filling and so would have perhaps been a better choice as a single lunchtime dish
Wines were a French Sauvignon Blanc (as the New Zealand one was not in stock) and a really good Montepulciano. The wine list is a good mix of prices covering, Germany, Spain, Italy, France, America (North and South) and South Africa
Like the hosts, the inn is charming - just check out the ceiling in the entrance hall and the graphics in the restaurant to see what I mean.
I am sure we will go back on our next visit to Shrewsbury and I am also sure that yet again we will have a long debate on what to eat knowing that when we have made a decision it will all have be worth it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Formerly a coaching Inn, our establishment today is an eclectic mix of traditional and contemporary décor. Its transformation began in 2001 when we bought it and over 18 months we set about a dramatic rebuild and restoration. Although many thought us foolhardy and overly ambitious, today, even much changed, the Inn evokes a sense of its own history. Above all else, we and our team work to ensure our guests enjoy the very best in hospitality. The Inn is a Grade 2 listed Georgian property, in a conservation area, located in the lee of Grinshill which is a site of special scientific interest and an area of outstanding natural beauty. There is a little train station in the next village which is a short stroll away, adding to the charm of this rural retreat. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Agoda, Expedia, Travelocity and LateRooms so you can book your The Inn at Grinshill reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Inn At Grinshill Hotel Grinshill
- Hotel At Grinshill
- The Inn At Grinshill Shropshire, UK