“Always a good meal”

Red Lounge - Cowplain
Ranked #10 of 78 Restaurants in Waterlooville
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British
Good for: Bar scene, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Waterlooville, United Kingdom
“Always a good meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

We eat at Red often, never had a bad night, sometimes go just for a drink before eating at the sister Indian restaurant, Pasha, just a couple of issues, 1st, due to the wood floors it is very noisy, and 2nd not enough seats if having just a drink. The food is lovelŷ, and the staff are very friendly.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Totally Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

Im not one to write reviews but I am so disappointed with the quality of the food at Red espesialy after reading so many glowing comments that I feel I should tell people about my experience.
I went with a group of 16 friends for a birthday celebration, i ordered the Cod wrapped in smoked bacon which was actually cod on a rasher of bacon accompanied with a sad side of vegetables the brocoli was passed its best and yellowing the carrots burnt and on a whole was totaly tasteless. I'm generally one to clear my plate but only managed the fish and 5 very small slices of potatoes and only ate that as I was so hungery after saving myself for what I thought was going to be a fabulous meal. I wasn't the only one in the party to be let down by the food, one steak went back as it was so tough it couldn't be cut, another was well done when medium was ordered and from what I could see from the rest of the table no one was very impressed as there was food left on every plate. I found the service to be slow with staff that didn't know how cutley should be set out, there were no checks to see of everything was ok with out meals or if we enjoyed our meals and no offers of desserts and coffee. Thankfully it being a birthday a cake was taken along and that was lovely and filled a gap till I got home to have something to eat.
I enjoyed my evening as it was about being with friends and celebrating not about the food but if it was just a treat with my patner I would have been even more disappointed.

Over priced, poor quality with poor service!

Chichester
“Over cooked dry burger”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

Second time here. 1st time had a good steak. This time ordered a burger. I'm sure the Red Lounge produces many good burgers but, my meal went like this. Chips good, salad good, coleslaw good but unfortunately the main event on the plate, the burger, was over cooked and extremely dry. It really was the worst burger I've ever had. The reason I didn't say anything when our table got the "everything alright" question was that I was with a group of friends who I last saw a year ago and to have my plate taken away and wait for it to return while everyone else got on with their meal would've completely ruined the whole point of being there. I'm not a delicate chap, so I pushed it down.
Later when I went to the bar on my own, the waitress asked how my meal was. I told her the truth, she asked if I'd said so at the time, I said I hadn't and she said it should be passed on and she would do so.
Quite what the point of this was, was completely lost on me as nothing further was said. Had she not asked me, I would've thought no more about it. But as the poor quality of my meal had now been raised, I think a restaurant has to come back to the customer with a positive reply to a complaint.
A positive reply on a web site would be too late.

• Visited November 2013
FMKOYES, Owner at Red Lounge - Cowplain, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear FrankChichester,

I am very sorry to hear of your recent disappointment at Red, Cowplain. We take great effort to ensure that the entire dining experience is enjoyable, and I'm sorry that we were not aware of the problem with your burger sooner, when we could have looked at the food, understood better the dryness that you described, and compensated you appropriately. We have, of course worked with our kitchen team to understand how this happened and taken measures to ensure that it will be avoided in the future as, you may know from other reviews that such feedback is rare for the quality of our burgers.

I appreciate your positive comments about the accompaniments to the burger, and I trust that the service, other than your experience was satisfactory. I do hope that we can welcome you again for an improved experience.
Hampshire, England
“Service lets it down”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

Having booked at least a week in advance and explained that we'd like a booking for 2 in as quieter area as possible, it was a shame that this info was clearly not passed on. On arrival we waited over 20 minutes beyond our booking time to be seated whilst the waiter tried to re-arrange some seating. After some more faffing around, our starter took another 25 minutes to arrive. My terrine starter was nice, albeit a bit too much balsamic.. As for my wife, she had the prawn starter but when it arrived there were only 4 prawns on her plate and for £5.95 I think this is a bit steep! The fillet steak however was cooked perfectly and very tasty. We have been before and whilst the food is very nice, the service lets it down. I got the sense they plan for too many covers, trying to get you in and out quickly.. Plus the place is very noisy..... Its a shame as they could do better...

• Visited October 2013
FMKOYES, Owner at Red Lounge - Cowplain, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Spencer39,

I am sorry to hear of your recent disappointment after visiting Red. I would like to assure you that we try very hard to ensure that suitable dining time is given for each of our bookings, and only very rarely do we experience a delay that affects all subsequent bookings. When this happens we strive to make arrangements to accommodate all quickly and comfortably. Naturally Friday and Saturday evenings are our most busy, and we will continue to devote every effort to managing the noise levels and maintaining a pleasant and enjoyable environment for all customers.
I appreciate your positive comments about the steak, and I do hope that we can welcome you again for an improved experience.

Kind regards.
Kaz, Proprietor, Red Lounge Cowplain
Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
“Good Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

We live local to the Red Lounge and have always been meaning to go there since it opened a couple of years ago but for one reason or another we didn't. I have to say it was an 'opportunity missed' in our opinion, the menu was well priced and the food was fantastic! Our steaks were cooked to perfection - a good evening, will go again!!

• Visited October 2013