“Must do for NZ”

$73.01*
and up
2-Hour River Trail Horse Trek
More attraction details
Owner description: Horse treks run on a working high country sheep and cattle farm at the foot of the Southern Alps and only 1 hour from Christchurch City - various treks available with 1hour, 2hour, 3hour and full day.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Must do for NZ”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Just had a really great day with Chris at Rubicorn Valley Horse Treks. The views were beyond stunning, and the experience of horse riding through such a breathtaking environment was brilliant. Chris was great, an excellent teacher with really clear instructions and a friendly host. Thoroughly recommended!!

Visited July 2013

Hong Kong, China
“Best Experience of our NZ Trip”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We had heard about how beautiful the landscape and scenery of NZ were before we came, but no words / pictures could do NZ justice. Riding from Rubicon farm out to the fields and looking down the valley and river, it was just breath-taking and I was completely overwhelmed by what's in front of me.

We had had no experience on a horse before, but Rubicon made it very easy with very clear instructions and always keeping our safety as first priority. The horses were very good, the guide/coach (Chris) was excellent, and the trek was magnificent.

This was one of the absolute best activities we have done in New Zealand. You get horseback riding, fresh air, river, valley, mountains covered in snow, lots and lots of sheep, nice afternoon tea, delicious biscuits, good commentary on NZ / horses / farm / etc., all in one afternoon. What more can you ask for?

I would definitely recommend doing this if you're visiting Christchurch. The drive from Christchurch up to Rubicon Valley is easy enough and very pleasant. For people like me who are from a city like Hong Kong, this would be something extremely extremely different and I promise you will not regret it.

Christchurch, New Zealand
“A day to remember”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

My partner had told me how horse riding was on his bucket list , I had heard about Rubicon Valley via the Internet and it appealed on many levels such as close proximity to Christchurch, great scenery and catering to all abilities, we were short on time but Chris and his intuitive , clever horses gave us a safe yet exciting experience , so much so that we are intent on going back next week for one of the longer treks that Chris the quintessential horseman and his staff offer

Visited June 2013
“Amazing day in the country!”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I had a fantastic day at Rubicon valley. I was very much a beginner and was a little apprehensive about the horses. The horse are very well trained and Chris is a fantastic guide. I felt very safe the whole time, and even tried trotting!

The views were amazing, snow-capped mountains, braided river valley, rolling hills, just a beautiful spot to spend a day.

If you want a fantastic day out horse riding, I thoroughly recommend Rubicon valley.

Christchurch
“excellent experience for beginners and beyond”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Had an awesome time for the following reasons:

Clear instructions for beginners, well trained horses, very safe operation. At the same time, I was given plenty of opportunities to trot. Canter was an option, too.
Splendid location: views of the braided Waimakariri river, hills and the snow-covered mountains. The trek went through paddocks with sheep, into the valley and amongst trees, providing variety.
Last but not least, Chris was an excellent host and guide, it was obvious that he cares for his horses and his customers.

Highly recommend