“Awesome ski area!”

Mt Cheeseman Ski Area
More attraction details
Owner description: Mt Cheeseman is a friendly ski area that promotes a fun, family environment in an alpine setting. Cheeseman is the just 90 minutes (99km) drive from Christchurch.The mountain has a sunny aspect with groomed runs and off-piste terrain catering for all abilities. We have two T-bar lifts that provide access to the whole mountain and a learners’ rope tow in a dedicated learners’ area.For adventurers looking for untracked trails and off-piste experiences, Mt Cockayne offers challenging skiing and fantastic views of the Craigieburn Range. Cheeseman has a range of services and facilities including two accommodation lodges.
Reviewed March 23, 2012

I'm 19 and I've been skiing and staying at Cheeseman since I was 5 and have loved it. Nice friendly atmosphere, the staff are helpful and the Swiss ski instructors were great for learning to ski. As a kid I loved the groomed beginner runs on the main T-bar but now I'm a better skier there's plenty of advanced terrain and back country opportunities to keep me from getting bored. Socialising in snowline lodge is the perfect way to relax at night after a day on the slopes. The day lodge is great too, heaps of space and tasty food and coffee. Would recommend it for anyone, but especially families wanting to stay right on the mountain.

Reviewed February 1, 2012

I am from Scotland and have visited many ski fields around the world.

I visited MT Cheeseman in September last year with a friend.

We went up mid week ,all of the other surrounding fields were closed including Cheeseman due to bad weather. Cheeseman called me at 11 am in regards to my booking advising that they had opened the field. My friend and I got up at lunch time and skied the rest of the day as the weather improved. It was a most amazing day the staff, the views, the food and the great cabins right on the field. I am heading back next year.

Checkout Pics the field was empty we had the place to ourselves! Cant wait to GO BACK.

1  Thank Keith S
Reviewed January 17, 2012

Searching for some information on New Zealand skiing I found this review and felt I had to respond. Our family experience of Cheeseman couldn't have been more different. We went for a week in August 2011, and will certainly return. The club members couldn't have been friendlier, it was family week so there were lots of families and children, and within days everyone looked out for each other, shared t-bars up and down and shared the comeraderie that comes from a great experience. Please bear in mind that it is a club, rather than a posh resort, but it is run professionally and with great input from the club members. The food was all supplied on our week, although breakfast is cooked by the guests and tradition says just the boys - super! I was an older novice skier, who was kept getting stuck out on the snow, and was rescued by the lovely members time and again through our week. So for us, we class Cheeseman as the BEST FAMILY HOLIDAY we have ever had. We were clear that we were going to a club, hence the more modest pricing than flash resorts, and we knew we would have to pitch in. We have recommended it to friends looking for a fab family holiday that's fun and full of activity.

1  Thank Mary F
Reviewed September 13, 2011

After buying a voucher of 1 of the deal websites i was really looking forward to visiting Mt Cheeseman, after reading the reviews and looking at the website everything was looking good.

But this was not the case when i arrived. I had booked up to arrive on a Sunday for 3 nights but as i was excited i got there a day early, i rang ahead to make sure there was room for me and then set off. When i arrived there was no one around it was like a ghost town. I searched around for about 45 mins but couldn't find anyone. As i was looking i found another guest but he had the same problem as he was looking for a member of staff also. I had a look on the slope but everything was closed this was at around 3.30pm. I decided to head off to find somewhere else to stay at this point i was already regretting making my booking.

I arrived bright and early the next day thinking i would give it another go and not let the previous day spoil my break. The lifts where open and i found a member of staff straight away.

They showed me to my room but the snowline lodge was filthy as you walked in, it looks like gypsy camp there was bits and pieces of carpet down and the walls where dirty and this place is tryin to charge $90 a night.

I went onto the slope but came straight back down as there was hardly any snow. It said on the website that there was 90cm of snow on the lower slopes this must be measured on a area no one skies, on the lower slopes the snow was brown and rocks where coming through all over the piste.

I was really angry at this point as i really look after my ski equipment and have had it years without ever scratching the underside and in 10 mins i had put some big scrapes in them.

In my deal i had breakfast and dinner, 3 nights accommodation and 4 days lift pass for $250 which is a awesome deal. But when i went back i sat in the lounge and waited for dinner to be served but nothing came. Some people came into the lounge/kitchen and cooked food but never offered anything. I sat and waited till around 8.30pm and still no one came. I was now really hungry so decided to ask the people who had cooked the food if i could please have some i really felt bad as there was no where open to buy food so really had no other choice. They gave me some which i was very grateful for.

I then went to bed in my freezing cold room wrapped up in my ski clothes and in my sleeping bag. When i woke up in the morning it was a beautiful sunny morning i went into the kitchen to see if breakfast was ready but there was no one there. I then decided to leave as this place was really wrecking my break.

For anybody thinking to visit Mt cheeseman i would really think twice. If there is a good deal on and they have had a massive dump of snow then maybe give it a go for a day but no longer.

2  Thank PavSydney
Reviewed August 17, 2011

Mt Cheeseman is a great family ski field and awesome if you're staying at Castle Hill Village. The access road is a 5 minute drive from the Village and the people and staff on the field are always in a good mood. It's a great alternative to Porters and always a little quieter. They make a good coffee and their rental gear is definitely some of the better gear around. The field is good for learners and intermediate skiers but it can be a little tricky for those who sit between first-timers and intermediate skiers/snowboarders. All in all definitely recommended.

3  Thank Jane_Selwyn