“Comfortable, relaxed and full of character”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Springfield
Smylies Accommodation
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Lots of interesting memorabilia to peruse as you unwind from your day. Warm, with a nice fire and hot japanese showers. The cat is child friendly. I would not say the place is super polished but by the same token it sure isn't lacking feel.
Not much to do in the actual town of Springfield however.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Smylies Accommodation

Reviewed April 17, 2013

After a borderline desperate search for a place to spend the night, my 11-year-old son and I found refuge and Smylies. It was a great stroke of luck. Colin is a excellent host, and the whole place is friendly, comfortable and welcoming. It was our best stay in NZ, and we stopped at a few places that were far more expensive. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ChrisWoolston
Reviewed March 1, 2013

My wife and I spent two weeks bicycle touring throughout the South Island in February. We camped and motel'd and this was the best place we stayed.

After a wet, miserable and windy day, our stay here was like heaven. Our welcome from Colin was warm, friendly and well beyond what you would normally expect...even in New Zealand.

We stayed in a room in the house. It is an older style home with plenty of guest rooms, bundles of character and very clean, tidy and homely. Facilities were excellent: hot showers (shared), fully equipped kitchen(communal) and reliable internet. A bit of a cross between a B&B and youth hostel.

Cafe, pub and donut are just a two minute walk up the road.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I loved this place. Close to Porters ski field. It has real character. Very clean, and no sense of rush about the town. One of the best YHAs in NZ, where they are all of a high standard. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Porters Ski field is nearby.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We were on our way to the West Coast but decided to spend the night here on the way. We were made very welcome and found the motel unit to be very well equipped. Although an older building it lacked nothing in decor or facilities and we had more than enough space for all our gear without feeling at all crowded. Both armchairs and bed were comfortable. Despite being on a main highway traffic noise was negligible.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Smylies accommodation is awesome. Colin, Keiko and family are the friendliest hosts you will ever come across and Keiko cooks up a storm in the kitchen. I stayed five nights and spent three on the snow at Porters learning to snowboard. I borrowed gear from Smylies and hired my boots and board from Porters ski field. For the five nights, three days of snowboarding, transfers to the ski field and breakfast and dinner included it was very VERY reasonable cost.
The living area in the hostel is cosy and very comfortable and books line the walls along with some intriguing antiques. The kitchen is fully equipped and well laid out. The room I shared with a lovely girl from Hong Kong was very comfortable and never cold.
Springfield is cute little town and even has a cheeky poke at "The Simpsons" connection! There is a large doughnut in the public park across the road from the pub that has the Simpsons painted on their front window.
I recommend Smylies to everyone who would like a comfortable and friendly place to stay close to the ski fields and close to Christchurch.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Did not stay to much yet in hostels, but in my opinion Smylies has everything you need for a very reasonable price. Stayed for 5 nights during winter when snow was up to my knees almost. Every day the woodfire in the living room was heated so hot that I even didn't have to use the electric fire in my room upstairs.
Stayed for dinner, and ate always a lot, variated and good! Kitchen has everything you need as well. Showers are excellent warm. My double bed room was very clean and spacious. Oke the kitchen and rooms look kind a outdated, but honnestly it gave me immediately the warm cosy house feeling. Internet is available as well for 1 buck per 15 min.
As a climber, you could buy chalk, rent crashpads, buy the guidebook of castle hill. Perfect please to stay over for wintery prime climbing conditions.
Owners were really friendly and helpfull with information. Lovely family and a lazy cat is included.
Wouldn't even bother to check for other places when I come back for climbing in future.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Springfield
Springfield Motel & Lodge
#1 of 2 in Oxford
Porters Alpine Lodge
Porters Alpine Lodge
#3 of 3 in Springfield

Been to Smylies Accommodation? Share your experiences!