Open today: 8:00 AM - 12:00 AM

from $340.00
More Info
from $500.00
More Info
All reviews rice fields mr thien recommend this place dong van motorbike tour waterfall culture homestay english mountains hiking
Selected filters
Reviewed July 31, 2016

Thon Tha is a thai village located 10min by car from Ha Giang. I stayed in this village for 1 week and it has been the most authentic experience I’ve ever had in my life. Thon Tha is a vietnamese paradise, so quite, with beautiful landscapes and incredible sunsets…the traditional thai houses are located among rice paddies and you can see the locals working on their fields every day. There are 3 different homestays in Thon Tha, all owned by the locals, all well located and with very clean accommodation. One can notice the locals’ efforts on giving the best they have to the tourists. Upon my arrival, I was received by Mr. Thien’s big smile and kind service, I also met his wife and his adorable son. Since day one, they made me feel as part of their family, I was part of the different vietnamese meals, which were delicious, they cooked the best tofu I’ve ever had! There are many activities to do around the village, short and long hikes, renting a motorbike to go to the different waterfalls nearby or to the river. Moreover, I volunteer myself to help Mrs. Thien collecting pineapples (the sweetest pineapples ever), cultivating the rice or walking with the buffalos. If you get to go to this unique village, try to be part of these activities and talk to the locals, they are the kindest people and are always willing to have a good conversation. Another very interesting fact about this community is that they are trying to develop tourism in a sustainable way, one can see the different responsible tourism guidelines in the homestays. After this experience I want to keep traveling as a local, I think you get to learn and experience things you would never learn if staying in a hotel.

Date of experience: July 2016
Reviewed April 23, 2016 via mobile

Thon tha is a beautiful rural village a few kilometres from ha giang. We stayed in Thien Homestay. Our hosts were incredibly friendly and speak good English. beds are very cheap, and you can enjoy a feast of home cooked meals and as much rice wine as you can stomach. Trekking, motorcycle tours, scooter hire and even traditional herbal baths can all be booked here. If you want an authentic experience unruined by mass tourism, somewhere off the beaten track, or somewhere peaceful before and after the northern loop adventure, this is the place.

Date of experience: April 2016
2  Thank 1990johnd
Reviewed February 27, 2016 via mobile

Initially came to Thon Tha Village with the intention of only staying 3 nights and ended up staying 7 nights- this village and the people is truly amazing. Words can't even describe the experience I've had over the past week. If your looking for a unique destination while travelling away from the 'real world' this is the village to come to. Trang was amazing and organised our stay and all our tours from the village. We stayed in Mr Thien's Homestay -I can't express how truly special this family is. Mr Thien, his wife and their 6 year old son were such a welcoming family and took great care of us during our stay.They gave us a real insight into there village and there way of life. We attended parties with them in the village, drank lots of rice wine, had the most delicious food (our favourite by far in Vietnam). Mr Thien and Mr Van brought us on a 3 day motorbike tour to Dong Van- Meo Vac loop around North Vietnam along the Chinese Border. The views are breathtaking. We went on a 8 hour trek with Mr Thien in the jungle and this is a experience not to be missed. I could of easily spent longer in the village- the highlight of our travels by far! If your looking for the road less travelled Thon Tha Village, Ha Giang in the place to come. It has very few tourists, often the beaten track and that's the beauty about it- GO...you won't regret it!

Date of experience: February 2016
2  Thank Jackie_mwHenry
Reviewed January 30, 2016 via mobile

Thon Tha village truly is an amazing place in north Vietnam. It is of a very traditional style, and provides any traveller with a welcome escape to a quiet, peaceful countryside location. The people here are friendly, giving, and really amazing hosts in every way. I highly recommend Thon Tha village as a destination for anybody who finds them self in Vietnam, or the surrounding countries. The company we used for our adventure here is called YESD Social Enterprise (find them at yesd.org ). Trang, our tour guide, provided us with a wonderful experience, and is very well connected with the locals. I highly recommend using this tour company.

Date of experience: January 2016
2  Thank Jeremy E
Reviewed November 24, 2015

Simply - holidays of a lifetime.
A week in Thon Tha and Ha Giang area was something absolutely exceptional.
We mean landscapes but also - in fact mostly - the people who we met.

Mr. Thien, his wife and their son.... so nice, so kind and so friendly hosts! Couple of days in Thon Tha, together with Mr. Thien family was really a great time. Least but not least... the food there... absolutely the best we had during our entire trip in the northern Vietnam. Our greatest words of great respect and appreciation to Mr. Thien and his Family (wife and their great kid :-)

Than Mr. Tuan, our driver, guide, host, good spirit... well, he really made our trip! The loop from Ha Giang, thru Dong Van to Meo Vac and back with him... absolutely great! So helpful, so friendly, just a great guy. Although his English is very limited, he was trying very hard, learning fast and after 3-4 days we had really a very nice conversations together.
We tried to learn Vetnamese, he tried (much better than we did!) to learn English + some body language = just a lot of fun and wonderful experience. "Thank you, Mr. Tuan, you made our trip!".

We travelled around the world a bit, but to be honest, thanks to all these great people, Ha Giang province is one of these places we are missing already and - seriously - we think we would like to visit again.

Agnieszka and Robert