“Wish I ate there more”

Cuisines: Mexican, Grill
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Los Barriles is fisherman paradise but its not necessarily the best place to order fish on the menu -- except for German's. His fish tacos were some of the best I've ever had anywhere in Mexico or the US. Perfectly grilled, great tortillas, EXCELLENT hot sauce, all served by someone who clearly cares about his customers. Dorado and tuna were the fish of the season and every one of the three dinners there was just as good as the last. You must not miss the flan. I kid you not, I have never had better flan -- creamier and firmer than most and the caramel was perfect! Not at all like most flan in restaurants that are almost custards. Also, German makes killer margaritas for when you get tired of beer or the poor mix-based drinks at the resort down the street. I was saddened that he was closed on Tuesday because it was our last night in town and we had to settle for far less pleasure in our dinner that night.

1  Thank PitaDiver

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Brought our own fish for dinner. German was a fantastic host! We knew him from years previous to his owning the restaurant. Great food. His half done ceviche is outstanding. Great guy great food. Definately goiog back whenever we are in town.

1  Thank Kim B
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Known German (Herman) for quite a few years from when he ran the fishing boats out of Palmas de Cortez. Dropped by his restaurant really just to hi but the menu looked really good especially the steak for my son. Told him that I would be back at 9:30 with my wife and son to give it a try. Very glad that we did as the food was delicious, really didn't expect it as his background is not from the restaurant business. His Aunt does the cooking and Herman does the grilling. He must still have his contacts in the fishing business as the fish and shrimp were incredible. Went back a second night and took Norma's family (she cooks for us in our condo) and her uncle Ramon's family (He owns a panga boat in La Ribera that I went out on twice). We had 10 people, plenty of food/drinks and the bill was under $200. Any night that Norma is not cooking for us at the condo we will be found here.

1  Thank Craig S
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Brilliant food. Watch out though! The black hot sauce is verrrrryyyy hot- one drop per taco will do!

1  Thank 37ski
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Our fishing guide, American, that has lived in Los Barriles for 13 years recommend "Herman's" to us. We enjoyed our fresh grilled Dorado (Mahi Mahi) and Marlin dinner. It came with a pepper sauce that was complex, and very hot. We enjoyed the Chili Bobos as an appetizer too. I cannot wait to return.

1  Thank BobD2H